Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #76
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
You might also like "Diving into the Wreck" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...into-the-wreck
I love her Retrieval Artist series (which I would recommend, actually) but Diving the Wreck was a great idea that turned out to be pretty awful.

It's like a bad copy of the Star Wars universe (Rebels and Empire) combined with the Philadelphia Experiement.

And I would also suggest more of Mike Resnick's stuff that Santiago. That is good, but almost all of his SF novels are set in the same universe. I don't think he's ever written a bad book, either.

Last edited by JeremyR; 01-29-2011 at 02:01 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #77
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Charles Stross' novel Glasshouse is pretty exciting but finds time to explore a whole boatload of great ideas about the future, technology, and society.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #78
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Charlie Stross rocks, no question
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #79
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Lots of great suggestions here.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet (though I could have missed it) is Scott Westerfeld's Succession series. It's only two volumes (The Risen Empire and The Killing of Worlds). It was originally intended as one large book but the publisher decided to split it due to its size.

The main female character is easily as important as the main male, and there are some other powerful female characters as well.

The first volume is available in both epub and kindle, but the second one, for some reason, is not (as far as I can tell) but the paperback is still in print.

I enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of reviews at amazon if you're curious.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #80
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Am really suprised that no one has mentioned John W. Campbell's Arcot, Morey, and Wade novels. They are as follows:

The Black Star Passes
Islands Of Space
Invaders From The Infinite
The Ultimate Weapon

I would also suggest Lin Carter's Jondar Of Callisto and The Green Star series of books.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #81
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Am really suprised that no one has mentioned John W. Campbell's Arcot, Morey, and Wade novels. They are as follows:

The Black Star Passes
Islands Of Space
Invaders From The Infinite
These are available on MR as an ePub format omnibus:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104033

Quote:
The Ultimate Weapon
This one isn't an Arcot, Wade, and Morey novel, but is space opera. You can find it at Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23790
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #82
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I started reading pulp a few years ago, and got hold of some of the Lensman and Skylark novels. While at first I didn't mind them, in some ways they really haven't aged well. You certainly won't find any strong female characters in them. It's very much a product of its time.
I'd call Clarissa Kinnison a strong female character. Or Dessa DesPlains, for that matter.

The Lensman books hold up far better for me than the Skylark series. Skylark's hero, Richard Seaton, is a little too squeaky clean, and a guy who can destroy an entire sentient alien race (even if they are loathsome Chlorine breathers who want to destroy humanity) without batting an eye or breaking a sweat is a bit much to take.
______
Dennis
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #83
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'd call Clarissa Kinnison a strong female character. Or Dessa DesPlains, for that matter.
But then there's the bit about how females can't operate the Lens cos, well, they are weak females. This is not implied, it was actually said more than once.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #84
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
I would also suggest Lin Carter's Jondar Of Callisto and The Green Star series of books.
Both Lin Carter's Jandar of Callisto and Green Star series are more in the line of Edgar Rice Burroughs books. More science fiction fantasy than space opera.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #85
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
These are available on MR as an ePub format omnibus:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104033

This one isn't an Arcot, Wade, and Morey novel, but is space opera. You can find it at Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23790
______
Dennis
You are quite right that The Ultimate Weapon is not Arcot, Morey, and Wade. I meant to say that it should also be read as a good example of space opera. I should as been listed as seperate.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #86
ctol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Both Lin Carter's Jandar of Callisto and Green Star series are more in the line of Edgar Rice Burroughs books. More science fiction fantasy than space opera.
I agree in the main that they are science fiction fantasy but to my mind they do contain some space opera elements. I was lucky enough to hear Carter speak at a convention many years ago and he emphatically listed these as a homage to both space opera and ERB.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #87
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
But then there's the bit about how females can't operate the Lens cos, well, they are weak females. This is not implied, it was actually said more than once.
Re-read them. There actually is a female Lensman toward the end. (More then one, when you count the Children of the Lens.) But lack of a Lens for females has nothing to do with weakness, and is more to do with lack of need.

If you want to look at it that way, you can make a case that males are the weak ones, because they require the artificial aids to do things the females accomplish naturally. (Consider Jill Sams playing Herkimer Herkimer the 3rd in _First Lensman_.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #88
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Space Opera

I don't think that anyone has mentioned one of the greatest Space Opera sequences of the golden age: namely the "Hub" sequence of James H. Schmitz. It comprises:
Trigger and Friends
TNT: Telzey & Trigger
Telzey Amberdon
Agent of Vega
You won't find weak women in these books!
He also wrote the fab Witches of Karres--which is not fantasy. Despite the title it is solid Space Opera!

Another great SO series I enjoyed is The Chanur series by C J Cherryh.

I have these in hard copy but they may well be available in e-book format.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-02-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling error
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #89
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I don't think that anyone has mentioned one of the greatest Space Opera sequences of the golden age: namely the "Hub" sequence of James H. Schmitz. It comprises:
Trigger and Friends
TNT: Telzey & Trigger
Telzey Amberdon
Agent of Vega
He also wrote the fab Witches of Karres.
All of the Schmitz works are available in ebook form from the Baen Free Library.

The "Federation of the Hub" series is classic work, and Telzey Amberdon is one of the best female protagonists in SF. (Trigger Argee is a close second.)

Note, however, that _Agent of Vega_ is not set in the Hub universe. It's a stand alone volume of linked stories in a different setting.
______
Dennis
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #90
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
I've just been writing about this at length :- (including Schmitz) - got through a couple of hundred authors now :-

http://bluetyson.livejournal.com/tag...0space%20opera

And I bit older which I will update sometime soon :-

http://www.archive.org/stream/SpaceO...GuideArray.txt
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote