Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #10231
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
4. Janis Joplin but I don't know the title
Combination of the Two?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #10232
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
6. Ritchie Haven's "High Flying Bird," (by Elton John) also covered by Jefferson Airplane and several others

10. 'Viola Lee Blues' by the Grateful Dead

Stitchawl
6. Except for the Elton John part (he wrote a different song by that title) correct. I was looking of the Jefferson Airplane as performers.

10. Correct for both

Quote:
1. San Franciscan Nights by the Animals
Correct for both

Quote:
4. Janis Joplin but I don't know the title
with Big Brother and the Holding Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Combination of the Two?
Correct
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #10233
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I was thinking Woodstock for the connection, but I don't believe that Simon and Garfunkel played there.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #10234
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I was thinking Woodstock for the connection, but I don't believe that Simon and Garfunkel played there.
They didn't.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #10235
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
They didn't.

Stitchawl
Correct. Not Woodstock, but thinking along the correct line.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #10236
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So no additional activity. Here is a hint on the common connection then. Another musical artist, Ravi Shankar. That may also help with the as yet unidentified song and artist. I will check back in a few hours and if no one has come up with additional correct answers I will provide the missing answers.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #10237
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Is it the Monterey Pop Festival?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #10238
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Is it the Monterey Pop Festival?
Get the year and you have it!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #10239
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Get the year and you have it!
I've no idea. 1971?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #10240
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Damn, never thought of Monterey.

I think it was the year I was born, 1967?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10241
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yes, the common connection is that all the artists performed the associated songs at the 1967 Monterey Pop Music Festival. Couple of interesting factoids about this event. The song San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair) was written by John Phillips (one of the festival organizers) of the Mamas & the Papas to promote this festival. The recording of this song by Scott McKenzie (who also appeared at Monterey Pop) became a big hit. Some other groups that appeared there include: Lou Rawls, Johnny Rivers, Al Kooper, The Butterfield Blues Band, The Electric Flag, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Moby Grape, The Byrds, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, and The Blues Project.. For many of the artists it was their first big exposure to Americans.

Tying up the remaining lose ends . . . The song Windy was a big hit for the group The Association. Question 5 is a bit of the lyrics from the song Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine by Country Joe and the Fish. Most people today would only know them, if at all, for their Vietnam War protest song I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die.

So I will admit that this was a quiz with a definite preference for the over 50 crowd. So splitting the 4 points for music connection between orlok and Bilbo1967 would still leave Shayne Parkinson as the winner.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #10242
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Eep! I didn't expect to win that one! And I'm in the midst of making quince jelly, which cannot be interrupted for more than a moment at a time. Orlok or Bilbo, please feel free to post the next question.

Thanks for the quiz, Hamlet!
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #10243
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Agreed, good quiz Hamlet.

Alright, just a quickie as I'm in the midst of trying to get my new 64 operating system to stop crashing intermittently.

Cyanide kills a person very quickly. What is the primary cause of death if someone has ingested cyanide salts?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #10244
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Agreed, good quiz Hamlet.

Alright, just a quickie as I'm in the midst of trying to get my new 64 operating system to stop crashing intermittently.

Cyanide kills a person very quickly. What is the primary cause of death if someone has ingested cyanide salts?
Reacts with acid in the stomach to form gas HCN. This is inhaled.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #10245
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Reacts with acid in the stomach to form gas HCN. This is inhaled.
Not the primary cause of death, no.