Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #256
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
I've been waiting for somebody to come up with a way for me to read library books on my iPod touch without going through the gyrations described elsewhere on the Net ever since I got the thing.

I have not been able to test this out yet since I don't have a wifi network I can hook to at work, but this will be the first order of business at home tonight. If it works, then the second order of business will be to revise my Christmas wish list since a NookColor was at the top simply because of the library book issue.

I'll post results later...
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #257
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by remleduff View Post
It's not so much the accuracy of the page number I'm concerned with, but while dragging the scrubber it says something like "31 of 298" and then when I release, I end up on "35 of 298". At least to me, it feels like my hand must be jerking just slightly as I try to release and just makes everything feel less accurate. I assure you though, that I'm absolutely trying to keep my hand as still as possible.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, it's tough to describe using just words.

I've been reading a bunch of Terry Pratchett in epub format (unfortunately, all DRM'ed). He uses lots of humorous footnotes that that look like:

The "asterisk" is clickable, clicking it takes you to the footnote (the footnotes are usually a bunch of pages that they stick to the end of the book). It's very, very, difficult to actually click it within Bluefire. It seems like only about 1 pixel is active to be actually clicked on, and my finger is just too fat to hit it at all consistently.

The newest Terry Pratchett actually had a "reverse link" on the actual footnote page that returns to the original reading place, so if they start doing that consistently it will make a back button in Bluefire less important (but it will of course depend on the publisher to make those reverse links where a back-button will always work).
What Bluefire needs is a history back/forward. Then you can easily go back after reading the endnote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #258
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What Bluefire needs is a history back/forward. Then you can easily go back after reading the endnote.
agreed, we need that.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #259
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerwin View Post
I'm just installing bluefire now on my iPhone4, will try on my iPad when I get home. From the ZDnet review and this thread it looks to be able to be the app that will allow me to NOT use 18 different readers, thank goodness.

For me it will be "just right" if you will support cbr/cbz comic files. Currently I'm using Stanza on the iPad, but it's really clunky to load the books onto the iPad and into Stanza.

Is this already on your to-do list? If not, please do so.
I do like graphic novels, and used to be a big comic book fan, but I must confess that I don't even know what cbr/cbz files are. I guess I need to learn.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #260
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Micah, you and the rest of the Bluefire team are my new favorite people.

I do agree about the margin issue, though. I'd like to be able to use as much of the screen as possible.

Thank you so much for eliminating one of the annoyances in my life. I appreciate it.
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #261
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I do like graphic novels, and used to be a big comic book fan, but I must confess that I don't even know what cbr/cbz files are. I guess I need to learn.
Recipe for CBZ and CBR files.

CBZ:

1) Take some image files.
2) Compress them on the Zip format.
3) Rename the format "tail" of the resulting file from ".zip" to ".cbz"
4) You're set.

CBR:

1) Take some image files.
2) Compress them on the Rar format (WinRAR is required).
3) Rename the format tail of the resulting file from ".rar" to ".cbr"
4) You're set.

CBZ and CBR readers simply enter inside the compressed file and allow you to read the images from there. However, these "formats" are useful because they allow you to save space and to correctly divide your comic (in chapters, volumes, whatever).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #262
Illinifan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
agreed, we need that.
Yep...this is the first thing I've found that I'm used to having in Stanza that is not yet in BF: Touch the endnote # to go to the endnote and then touch the endnote # again to go back to where I was.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #263
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
Yep...this is the first thing I've found that I'm used to having in Stanza that is not yet in BF: Touch the endnote # to go to the endnote and then touch the endnote # again to go back to where I was.
I have never manage to do this, at least on my iphone. Big, stubby fingers....
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #264
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
Of course an ebook has to be hyperlinked to allow this to occur...are you saying Bluefire doesn't have hyperlink support? Haven't checked this myself, yet.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #265
Illinifan
Connoisseur

It appears to work with chapter titles. The endnotes in another book didn't work, so I will run some more tests. Can't draw a good conclusion with just one data point.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #266
remleduff
remleduff began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Endnotes/hyperlinks do work, but as I've been saying, if they're just a single character they are very difficult to activate.

It takes me 5-10 tries to hit the correct pixel.
remleduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #267
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Looking at supporting page numbers that are authored in other ways in EPUB, so that might improve things - might not.
I think that if you supported the NCX pageList, you might be the first reader software to do so. I know that I'd appreciate having a standards-compliant method of pagination for my personal conversions of print books.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #268
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I think that if you supported the NCX pageList, you might be the first reader software to do so. I know that I'd appreciate having a standards-compliant method of pagination for my personal conversions of print books.
Yes, the NXC method is high on my list. We currently only support the page map method that Liza described well here: http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-ncx-pagelist/
ough.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #269
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

New Store coming to BFR next week. Stay tuned!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #270
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
New Store coming to BFR next week. Stay tuned!
....umm - do you mean "new BFR coming to store next week?"
If so, Yippee!
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote