Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
mug2k
mug2k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Converting brings my PC to its knees !!

Hi

I'm converting most of my very large library over to mobi in preparation for my Kindle. The problem is that when I convert it hogs 99% of my computers resources and I can't do anything else. I just wondered if I could lower the priority on this so it will work in the background and not take over my computer ?.

Thanks,
Marcus
mug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug2k View Post
I'm converting most of my very large library over to mobi in preparation for my Kindle. The problem is that when I convert it hogs 99% of my computers resources and I can't do anything else. I just wondered if I could lower the priority on this so it will work in the background and not take over my computer ?.
Go to preferences - behavior and change job priority to low. Restart calibre and you're all set.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I had a similar problem when converting my HTML manuscripts to mobi/epub via Calibre... it kept timing out (though I was able to carry on doing everything else concurrently). Moving it to my more powerful AMD 7550 dual-core machine solved that problem. The little Atom 1.6 I use for my every day workstation just didn't have the omph.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I had a similar problem when converting my HTML manuscripts to mobi/epub via Calibre... it kept timing out (though I was able to carry on doing everything else concurrently).
What does "timing out" mean? I've run a conversion or two that took over 5 hours to complete. I never had it time out. In my experience it either stops with an error message or it continues to completion.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
mug2k
mug2k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Go to preferences - behavior and change job priority to low. Restart calibre and you're all set.
Wow I don't know how I missed that, thanks

Quote:
I had a similar problem when converting my HTML manuscripts to mobi/epub via Calibre... it kept timing out (though I was able to carry on doing everything else concurrently). Moving it to my more powerful AMD 7550 dual-core machine solved that problem. The little Atom 1.6 I use for my every day workstation just didn't have the omph.

Paul.
I feel the same, I have a AMD X2 4200+ and 1.5GB Ram. I could do with an upgrade as its a bit weak in comparison to today's hardware.
mug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
What does "timing out" mean? I've run a conversion or two that took over 5 hours to complete. I never had it time out. In my experience it either stops with an error message or it continues to completion.
It'd come up with an error message, saying the conversion had failed, when looking at the message it indicates that the Python process timed out. Quite likely the problem is that I might have a process-time-limit set on my configurations within the system or Python, I've not gone and checked yet.

Either way, the move to the more powerful machine solved it all - probably should have done it there in the first place (and it's not like it's a pain, since with using Linux I can just run Calibre remotely but it behaves like it's running on this machine).

Paul.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
It'd come up with an error message, saying the conversion had failed, when looking at the message it indicates that the Python process timed out. Quite likely the problem is that I might have a process-time-limit set on my configurations within the system or Python, I've not gone and checked yet.
Thanks, my curiosity is sated.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are running Calibre using Windows on a low-end machine, then I find that as well as setting the worker processes to run at Low priority, it is also a good idea to add the /belownormal option to the shortcut used to launch Calibre. This keeps the whole machine a lot more responsive, and does not seem to adversely affect calibre to any noticable extent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I run XP SP3 on p4-3.2GHz 1G RAM with worker process at 6.,

I do lots of things while conversions run, (and run, and run) my knees are still holding up my keyboard

Your Anti-whatever is probably scanning every access to the book sources.
Call off the (realtime) scans of the Calibre Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
When I have a time consuming, RAM intensive job to be done (such as using Adobe Acrobat to reduce the file size of graphic intensive PDFs I've created; that hogs as much as 50% of the 3.2GB I have available and can wonk up screen displays), I just let it run overnight while I'm in bed.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have recently returned home after 5 months away.
My 3 year old 32 bit quad core desktop is much faster than my 1 year old 64 bit duo core laptop. SO much so that I sold the laptop.
Calibre and adobe both run way faster they seem to run better on my desktop. Too bad I can't cart it around with me.
Next laptop I buy must run calibre better than last one.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

The big killer on laptop performance is the hard-drive. Those little 2.5" drives are profoundly slower than the normal desktop 3.5" drives. Most of the time the CPU just spins its wheels doing nothing.

If you switched over to an expensive SSD the laptop performance would suddenly skyrocket.

Of course, for some, a suitably sized SSD would cost a lot more than the laptop
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what's the logic behind a default of 6 threads - would performance be better if number of threads = number of cores ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The big killer on laptop performance is the hard-drive. Those little 2.5" drives are profoundly slower than the normal desktop 3.5" drives. Most of the time the CPU just spins its wheels doing nothing.
Interesting is that what generated the heat that sent my laptop into hibernation when I tried to convert more than 200 books at once?

Prettty sure it was heat as it stopped hibernating spontaneously when I put a plastic pop crate ( like milk crate but shorter) under it for ventilation.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
what's the logic behind a default of 6 threads - would performance be better if number of threads = number of cores ?
It's a semi-random shot in the dark really. On PCs the CPU is mostly I/O bound, that is to say that the CPU spends most of its time waiting for data to be fetched either from memory or the drives. While a process/thread is waiting for its data you could be doing other things, of course this assumes that there is something else that can be done that isn't also waiting on pending data.

Of course, the problem with the concept of having 6 threads to run the program is that they're not the only things running on the system, there's usually a good 100+ other things running around on a modern desktop OS (my Ubuntu system here has 197 processes at the moment).

As for the heat issue, that'll be the CPU + HDD probably, though your move to put it onto an elevated surface with an airgap underneath is a good idea, your drive will thank you by living for longer. Most things in laptops will die over time due to heat, a very big reason that I'm a lover of these Netbooks with very low power requirements

Paul.