Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #151
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
NiLuJe, Thanks!

It's hardcoded in BIN files. Open kindle_update_tool.py at 288 line and change 0x22597CE0 (this is 3.2.1) to 0x24757F16 (3.3)
And regenerate update files.

I will release my hacks at Monday.
Anyone around who could tell me the "code" for 3.4 already?
Need it to adopt the german localisation.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #152
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Update:
the "serial" of 3.4 should be 1725970040, so how do I generate / find out the code for the update tool?
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@diba: Use KindleTool. (It's the -t flag). (And a convert -i will tell you the target OTA level of the official update, which is 1725970040 for 3.4)

Note that Sir Alex used official-OTA-level + 1 as the target level of his packages.

(That was the only extent of Sir Alex's changes to the python packer: some tweak for his OpenSSL setup, and a different hardcoded target OTA level, so, it should be pretty easy to move the build scripts to KindleTool. Check any of my K2/K3 hacks if you're confused, the build-scripts supports both the python tool & KindleTool).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 12:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #154
diba
Addict

Thx, I am confused ;-)

Last time (for 3.3) I just added the 0x247....... to the update_tool and run the script again. Sir Alex had the kindness to provide it even before he updated his script.

So another step in the learning process for me ...

do I have to insert 1725970041 then?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #155
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@diba: Which language package is this for?
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #156
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@diba: Alternatively, if the whole 'move to KindleTool' thing's too much for you, just switch 0x24757F16 to 0x66E03679 in the python packer .
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #157
diba
Addict

It is for the german localisation. I do the translation for K3 since more than a year, but using SirAlex tool. I did only update the first version in the beginning and some extraction from 3.3 to keep all languages files up to date. But a lot of time in fine tuning string by string. Not as comfortable as cracks like ixtab did with Transifex and automatism ...

A big THX for 0x66E03679, this is what I was looking for! So I just need to add this to the pythonpacker as last time.
But again with the risk outing me as a noob. How did you generate the 0x66E03679?

Add on question, I know someone trying to jailbreak 3.4 with 0.5.1, he gets 006 error, any clue? He came from 3.3 and did factory reset. AFAIK factory reset did not wipe jailbreak up till now.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@diba: 0x66E03679 is 1725970040 + 1 in hex (base 16) .

As for the jailbreak, AFAICT, the update didn't break it. The only thing I can think of that might (I'm a bit rusty on the K3 front ^^) lead to a U006 is if he was using Yifan's JB. The factory reset doesn't wipe/disable his, just mine. So, this Kindle should effectively already/still be jailbroken. As always, check the logs to find the real culprit .
Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #159
diba
Addict

Yes, it was Yifans's JB, his 3.4 Kindle now refuses to install the screensaver hack, but this could have another reason as well ..., told him to try other hacks as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #160
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@diba: Only way to know for sure is to check the logs (;debugOn => ;dumpMessages => ; debugOff)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #161
diba
Addict

Thx again, I think, he is reading here as well ;-), he has to do it, I have no hands on his kindle.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #162
diba
Addict

Seems Amazon changed some more things in the whole structure. Installed "successfully" my localisation of 3.3, which I amended with the given details above for compiling.

Result: a mixture of english and german, menu (after pressing the button) invisible but "working". So, if you know how often to push the button down, you end up in the choosen menu, but this is not the aim of the game.

Actually I will definitely NOT do an update of the german localisation for 3.4. Too much nittycritty work I am not motivated to do. Sorry ...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #163
diba
Addict

Add on information: installing the localization worked, I had the "update your kindle", uninstalling obviously did not work, trying to choose the "update your kindle" blind (because menu did not pop up) led to the conclusion, that this menuitme was "grayed out".
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #164
juco
Enthusiast
juco is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm m105, Kindle KB
Hi diba, it's me (Ralph), thanks for your great support!

As I told you via mail, I understand that you won't try to adapt your existing German translation to the Kindle firmware 3.4. It's probably way to much work!

It was shortsighted of me to do the firmware update, so in order to get my hacks (inluding the German menus) working again, I'm looking for a way to downgrade my K3 from 3.4 to 3.3. Does anybody see a chance of doing so?

Thanks,
Ralph

Last edited by juco; 09-15-2012 at 04:52 AM.
juco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #165
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
It was shortsighted of me to do the firmware update, so in order to get my hacks (inluding the German menus) working again, I'm looking for a way to downgrade my K3 from 3.4 to 3.3. Does anybody see a chance of doing so?
You can downgrade to 3.0.2 using the "simple debricking" method, then apply updates from amazon to get back to 3.3. But then you need to keep wireless off (or install a hack) to prevent a future unwanted OTA update to 3.4.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
localization