Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #76
motomac
motomac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi!
I finally launched this app (only console works, droping on the icon still gives an error):

Code:
MacBook-Air-motomac:Imaging-1.1.7 motomac$ /Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/kcc/comic2ebook.py -p K4 "/Users/motomac/Pictures/manga.cbz"
comic2ebook v1.30. Written 2012 by Ciro Mattia Gonano.
Splitting double pages...
Image is 571 x 800
Optimizing 03876.png for K4
Saving to /Users/motomac/Pictures/manga/03876.png
Then I have many html and png files, folder with original png-files, ncx file and opf-file.

Code:
MacBook-Air-motomac:KindleGen_Mac_i386_v2_7 motomac$ kindlegen /Users/motomac/Pictures/manga/content.opf

* Amazon.com kindlegen(MAC OSX) V2.7 build 1019-d6e4792 *
* A command line e-book compiler                        *
* Copyright Amazon.com 2012                             *

Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Title        "comic"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata book-type       "comic"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata fixed-layout    "true"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata orientation-lock "portrait"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata original-resolution "600x800"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata zero-gutter     "true"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata zero-margin     "true"
Info(prcgen):I1002: Parsing files  0000218
Info(prcgen):I1016: Building enhanced PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content     URL: /Users/motomac/Pictures/manga/content.ncx
Info(prcgen):I8002: Atleast one <navPoint> tag must be there in ncx file.
Warning(prcgen):W14016: Cover not specified
Info(pagemap):I8000: No Page map found in the book
Info(prcgen):I1045: Computing UNICODE ranges used in the book
Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: Basic Latin [20..7E]
Info(prcgen):I1017: Building PRC file, record count:   0000003
Info(prcgen):I1039: Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size):  24.31%
Info(prcgen):I1040: The document identifier is: "comic"
Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V5
Info(prcgen):I1031: Saving PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1033: PRC built with WARNINGS!
Info(prcgen):I1007: Resolving mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1011: Writing mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1009: Resolving guide items
Info(prcgen):I1046: Found UNICODE range: /Users/motomac/Pictures/manga/content.ncx
Info(prcgen):I1017: Building PRC file, record count:   0000018
Info(prcgen):I1039: Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size):  26.98%
Info(prcgen):I1040: The document identifier is: "/Users/motomac/Pictures/manga/content.ncx"
Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V8
Info(prcgen):I1032: PRC built successfully
Info(prcgen):I15000:  Approximate Standard Mobi Deliverable file size :   0024297KB
Info(prcgen):I15001:  Approximate KF8 Deliverable file size :   0024328KB
Info(prcgen):I1037: Mobi file built with WARNINGS!
Then I put mobi-file on Kindle and it still has margins...

P.S. I also tried Kindle Previewer - same result.

Last edited by motomac; 01-11-2013 at 11:20 PM.
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #77
rsan
rsan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
Hi all!
Kudos to Dc5e for KindleComicParser!

Since I'm on a Mac, the script is nearly useless without a VM, so I came out with a python script that's almost identical but more portable for *NIX systems.
I additionally bundled the whole workflow (HTML/NCX/OPF generation, kindlegen, kindlestrip) in an AppleScript droplet for MacOS users.

You can find the standalone script along with the droplet at https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc.

I plan to add support for CBR/CBZ opening to the droplet very soon (comic2ebook.py already has), and extend the workflow with some image manipulation (margin removal, contrast, resizing).

Hope you like it
Thanks man, kcc works incredible! Have you considered including this in calibre code replacing kindlegen? It would be terrific because calibre can do the image pre-processing so it would be a completly automated process.

Anyway, I have read that many people have problems with image pre-processing. I recommend you use mangle, it works like a charm. The last version does not support paperwhite but if you download the source code you can change the resolution of any profile (or even create a profile for the paperwhite) in image.py,

E.g 'Kindle DXG': ((758, 1024),Palette15a)

Cheers
rsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #78
motomac

New firmware update (5.3.2) of Kindle Touch solved my problems!

Thank you very much, ciromattia!

Also I have a sugestion for you app. Please add new argument to disable picture optimizing (I use pictures from mangle).
Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #79
motomac

Can't edit previous post...

KCC is really cool! But I think it needs GUI Also it will be better if script automatically brings a name for comics/manga from the folder's/cbz-file's name and copy results to another folder instead of erasing original files. But it's triffle
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #80
devorez
devorez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsan View Post
Thanks man, kcc works incredible! Have you considered including this in calibre code replacing kindlegen? It would be terrific because calibre can do the image pre-processing so it would be a completly automated process.

Anyway, I have read that many people have problems with image pre-processing. I recommend you use mangle, it works like a charm. The last version does not support paperwhite but if you download the source code you can change the resolution of any profile (or even create a profile for the paperwhite) in image.py,

Cheers
Can you give us the binaries of your version for the paperwhite ?
By the way, where is the source code of mangle ?
devorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #81
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Quote:
Thanks
Do you mean replacing kindlegen with calibre integration? If the mobi generation works it'd be great to port kcc as calibre plugin, but I still want to keep it standalone too, many people do not use calibre at all (while I happily do :P )

Quote:

Cheers
Kcc actually uses the image.py class from Mangle, extended with the Paperwhite profile, so it has the same requirements (PIL) and the same way to work for processing images!

Last edited by ciromattia; 01-13-2013 at 07:35 AM.
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #82
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorez View Post
Can you give us the binaries of your version for the paperwhite ?
By the way, where is the source code of mangle ?
sources are here: https://github.com/FooSoft/mangle
I tried to compile on Mac, but it requires, besides PIL, PyQt which is quite fat, and I prefer not to use ports, so I came out with kcc
If any of you wants to build on Mac and want Paperwhite profile, just add the line
Code:
'KHD': ((758, 1024), Palette15b),
to the profile list on image.py, around line 76
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #83
rsan
rsan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
Thanks

Kcc actually uses the image.py class from Mangle, extended with the Paperwhite profile, so it has the same requirements (PIL) and the same way to work for processing images!
Wow! You are rigth, I was using kcc old version but I just discovered that version 1.20 included this optimizations. Now you don't even need mangle! Thanks again, this works incredible.
rsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #84
TheFireRed
TheFireRed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke Paperwhite
I'm also one of the interested in having a Calibre plugin. I'd be very grateful!
TheFireRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #85
motomac

BTW Mangle was made by Alex Yatskov "FooSoft" - https://github.com/FooSoft/mangle

Then it was forked by proDOOMman - https://github.com/proDOOMman/Mangle (added some features and optimization).

And now the latest fork/version is by Birua - https://github.com/Birua/Mangle (bug fixes, new features)

Discussion is here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16243

ciromattia, please, look at the latest fork sources. They should be useful.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #86
marceloindig
marceloindig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm thinking about trading my Kindle Keyboard for a Kindle Paperwhite. Most of the time I just use it to read comics, and I figure that reading them with a touchable and a brighter screen should be a better experience.

But I've been reading about the images support on the Paperwhite, and I still can't understand how can you convert comics flawlessly and put them on the Paperwhite.

Most people say to convert them to MOBI. But, when I do it on Calibre and open the MOBI files on the Kindle Keyboard, I get annoying margins and that progress bar taking a big part of the screen and messing with the image. So I prefer using image folders.

Is it better on the Paperwhite? Can I easily convert any comic on Calibre, and when reading, can they take up the whole screen? I'm not interested on the Panel View function, just on reading flawlessly.
marceloindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #87
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloindig View Post
Most people say to convert them to MOBI. But, when I do it on Calibre and open the MOBI files on the Kindle Keyboard, I get annoying margins and that progress bar taking a big part of the screen and messing with the image. So I prefer using image folders.
unfortunately calibre does not a good work, at least in my case.
Try converting them with kcc, using profile for K3, then upload the mobi: this is how they will appear in Paperwhite, with the exception of being centered and HD (you should notice the res difference). If you dare, you may want to jailbreak your PW and install Komic, otherwise kcc or Kindle Comic Parser (at the beginning of this post) are the only way to get readable mangas on PW.
Oh, you get the Panel View for free, either

@TheFireRed: looking for calibre plugins

@motomac: I'm having a look at their sources, from the commits I'm seeing quite a lot of GUI-cosmetics enhancements but I'll download sources as well, when I'll have a bit of time! Thank you for reporting, I knew only about the original one.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #88
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

I just pushed v. 1.41, GUI is still in development but I added a bunch of optimizations from proDOOMman and Birua forks (white border cropping, page numbering removal) and some other stuff like autocontrast, image centering (images are now fitted and centered into device's native resolution) and some command line options to control how to preprocess images (e.g. if you want to upscale or stretch images).

You'll find last version on github as always, check it out and give me some feedback!

PS: every feedback for Paperwhite is appreciated, ATM I don't own one anymore and I'm testing on my K3!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #89
motomac

Thank you! I will try this.

May be you saw download function in proDOOMman and Birua forks, which allows you to automatically download manga from 3 manga sites? (2 russian and one international - mangareader.net)
If I use this feature, manga is downloaded in folders and subfolders (chapters). Then I should move all files into one folder to use KCC. It will be cool, if KCC can read files in subfolders (or can download from these sites like Mangle).

Also I tried KF8 manga on Kindle Keyboard with latest firmware. KF8 works good, but big mobi-manga-files are invisible on Kindle (~400 Mb). Such files work fine on Kindle Touch. Can you say why?
Example (444 Mb)

Last edited by motomac; 01-18-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #90
Figan
Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ciromattia, this is a wonderful piece of work, thank you! I thought that this was going to take me hours to figure out, but once I'd found how to download from gitgub (that zip button needs to be bigger for idiots like me), I was reading on my KT within 15 minutes.

I'd just like to check that I'm doing the workflow in the most efficient way, any tips from anybody would be great, but this is what I've figured out so far:
1. Run comic2ebook.py on the source file/s.
2. Run KindleGen on the .opf that step one produced.
3. Run kindlestrip.py on the .mobi that step two produced.
4. [Optional, but needed for a good filename on the KT it seems] Import .mobi into Calibre and adjust metadata.
5. Transfer.

Are steps one and three already combined in some way that I'm missing by any chance?

Also, in the KT using Cover View, all of the resulting mobi files have the 'Personal' banner. Is there a step to ensure that the KT doesn't present them like this? I've scanned the KindleGen docs and searched these forums to no avail. Any tinkering with Calibre destroys PanelView and adds margins.

Thank you once again!
Figan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite