Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
8.9 and 7 HD will be getting Jelly Bean 4.2 soon

Well, for those of you with the new Kindle Fires, people at XDA have a working boot of 4.2 that should be available in the next few weeks once it's tweaked a little more. Was just chatting in the IRC channel just now. 8.9 will get it first, and then there's a build for the 7 HD that is being worked on aswell.

So nice surround sound AND stock Android. I'm jealous.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"So nice surround sound AND stock Android. I'm jealous."
I though you were done with the KF when the ipad mini shipped.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I though you were done with the KF when the ipad mini shipped.
I am, hahaha. But I hang around the IRC channel still, because that's how IRC works. You get on 20 servers, 20 channels, and you just sit there and watch and leave it on all day.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
I think saying there is a ROM for KFHD is really really premature. They have 4.1 booting but it is pre-alpha, proof of concept only. Or at least what I've seen on XDA. We're probably several months from a usable cm11 if ever.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleslawyer View Post
I think saying there is a ROM for KFHD is really really premature. They have 4.1 booting but it is pre-alpha, proof of concept only. Or at least what I've seen on XDA. We're probably several months from a usable cm11 if ever.
It's going to be CM10.1 (that's what they're calling the 4.2 CM ROMs).

Some people here are using 4.1 on original Kindle Fires, it works nice. There are some issues, but it's because the drivers have to be rewritten. I don't know the status of that, because for our devices, moving on is just the best choice. CM10.1 is still in development, and so any device running it pretty much has similar problems. It should be finalized by the latest February though. Next month we'll have a more stable build though.

If we didn't have so many issues with our drivers, we would be getting nightly builds from the main project.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Will you be able to switch between the Kindle OS and JellyBean? or will it be install Jellybean and be stuck wit it?
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Will you be able to switch between the Kindle OS and JellyBean? or will it be install Jellybean and be stuck wit it?
If you install it, you can always go back to the Amazon ROM by downloading the latest update and changing the extension from bin to zip. No dual booting though.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I would like Jelly Bean on my Fire along with Google apps. However, I still need the Amazon instant video...being able to keep that is the key and I don't think its possible if you put another ROM on there. Now the Kindle just looks like any other Android device for which instant video is not available.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I would like Jelly Bean on my Fire along with Google apps. However, I still need the Amazon instant video...being able to keep that is the key and I don't think its possible if you put another ROM on there. Now the Kindle just looks like any other Android device for which instant video is not available.
+1 on this statement. Much as I love my Nexus 7, which is way better tablet than KFHD simply and only because of the full Android OS, there's no way I'd switch my KFHD to Android if it means losing Amazon instant video.

I did that on my original KF and wound up regretting it.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
newtech
newtech began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Jelly Bean 4.2 I'm waiting for it for my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Thanks
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How will I a Non-Techy be able to tell?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
+1 on this statement. Much as I love my Nexus 7, which is way better tablet than KFHD simply and only because of the full Android OS, there's no way I'd switch my KFHD to Android if it means losing Amazon instant video.

I did that on my original KF and wound up regretting it.
I just rooted my Fire HD yesterday following the directions found here on XDA. I can confirm that I am still able to use Amazon VOD with no problems.

For those with the original Kindle Fire, there is still a way to use Instant Video after you've rooted. In the Google Play store look for the app called Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. I used it on my old Fire and it gave me the ability to temporarily unroot to watch Amazon videos. I was able to unroot and reroot at will. Worked for me!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
FL Guy
FL Guy began at the beginning.

Device: TBD
Amazon Instant Video on rooted Kindle Fire HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just rooted my Fire HD yesterday following the directions found here on XDA. I can confirm that I am still able to use Amazon VOD with no problems.
Interesting - can, and would you please expand on this?

Have you installed a new ROM, or rooted, but still running the original KF ROM?

If you have installed a new ROM (that would be my main purpose for rooting), how are you accessing Instant Video?
FL Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Rooting the Fire will leave you still able to use Amazon VOD because you aren't changing the software...you'll still have the carousel, etc.

If you install a custom ROM, then you have essentially made yourself a Nexus 7 with surround sound....a stock android tablet cannot run Amazon VOD.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I only rooted it, no ROM was installed. As mewmartigan says, the Fire operates the same as usual but now I have access to apps from the Google Play store (some apps which are not available from Amazon). I also have an easier time using different launchers. The launchers will make it the Fire look like you're running a special ROM but you can easily jump back to the original launcher anytime (if need be).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote