Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Another noteworthy addition to the Kindle app: you can now adjust the screen brightness from within the app by tapping on the "Aa" button.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Another noteworthy addition to the Kindle app: you can now adjust the screen brightness from within the app by tapping on the "Aa" button.
I've been doing that for a while, so that was from an earlier update.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If the 4S was a possible choice, then why not go with the iPt4? It's cheaper than the iPt5.
  • iPod touch 4 -- 16GB ($199) / 32GB ($249)
  • iPod touch 5 -- 32GB ($299) / 64GB ($399)
The iPt4 is a piece of junk. Bad battery life and inferior screen compared to the iPhone 4S. I had one and got rid of it. The iPt5 has a screen comparable to the iPhone 5 and much better battery life. Plus the A5 chip in the iPt5 is much faster than the one in the iPt4 with twice the zip and twice the RAM. The iPt5 is the first truly major overhaul to the touch line and they finally did it right.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that iPt4 is a two year old technology now as they failed to update it last year, except to offer a white model.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
As Synamon said that feature has been around for a while. I wish they would add that feature to the native Kindle app on the Fire HD! For some reason Amazon tends to have a better feature set on the iPad app than on most of the other OS apps. The Kindle for iPad app also has two column landscape mode capability whereas the Kindle app on the Fire HD still doesn't.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I've been doing that for a while, so that was from an earlier update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As Synamon said that feature has been around for a while. I wish they would add that feature to the native Kindle app on the Fire HD! For some reason Amazon tends to have a better feature set on the iPad app than on most of the other OS apps. The Kindle for iPad app also has two column landscape mode capability whereas the Kindle app on the Fire HD still doesn't.
Seriously?? How did I miss that all this time?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
1countryboy
1countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Maybe someone can answer my question my mother bought my wife a iPad Mini for Xmas and I briefly played with it today before she wrapped it. Since she is an avid reader (has Nook Color) I went ahead and installed the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps.

I opened the Kindle app and noticed the font was pretty small but couldn't figure out how to enlarge it or can you? I should add I don't own an iPad or eReader so this is new to me.

Last edited by 1countryboy; 12-07-2012 at 09:01 PM.
1countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
I opened the Kindle app and noticed the font was pretty small but couldn't figure out how to enlarge it or can you? I should add I don't own an iPad or eReader so this is new to me.
If you tap near the top of the page when you are in a book, a menu will appear. Clicking on the Aa icon gives you options to change the font size. Here is a link for the Kindle app help page, it has lots of information on how to navigate and customize the app.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
1countryboy

Thank you very much I knew it had to be simple I'm hoping the iPad Mini will be as good or better than the Nook color but with more options overall.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you very much I knew it had to be simple I'm hoping the iPad Mini will be as good or better than the Nook color but with more options overall.
I am sure she will enjoy it. You might as well download iBooks as well for a complete set. Bluefire is also useful if she wants to check books out of your public library. It and the Kindle app can both be used for that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
1countryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am sure she will enjoy it. You might as well download iBooks as well for a complete set. Bluefire is also useful if she wants to check books out of your public library. It and the Kindle app can both be used for that.

Dale
Thanks I forgot about iBooks was in a hurry! I had never heard of Bluefire before but currently it seems to be locking up devices so may wait on an update.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Thanks I forgot about iBooks was in a hurry! I had never heard of Bluefire before but currently it seems to be locking up devices so may wait on an update.
?? There are some issues with jailbroken devices... but it works fine on my 4S and iPad.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
1countryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
?? There are some issues with jailbroken devices... but it works fine on my 4S and iPad.

Maybe it does work fine I was just going by the reviews in iTunes and several were having hanging issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Would love an iPhone 4S or 5 but Donna says no to a data plan, so that is off the table!
You could buy a used iPhone 4S and activate it on PagePlus. That is what I did. Read about it here: http://www.geekintheforest.com/iphone-page-plus/

I, too, am waiting for an iPad mini with better resolution. Using a Nexus 7 for reading now, but don't really care for Android.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote