Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If this didn't happen, Penguin would still be allowing current eBooks to be at the library and I could read Fall of Giants as an eBook for free.
Proof? I don't think this is 100% correct, because measures could have been put in place to not allow Penguin books for Kindle (or are already), but still allow ePub. Last time I looked 100% of the books through OverDrive as ePub are also available for Kindle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
The problem is that Amazon got into bed with Overdrive and Penguin got upset because Amazon & Overdrive are breaking the terms of the contract saying that eBooks from Overdrive have to come from Overdrive's servers. Amazon is using their servers to supply the eBooks & DRM. This violates the contract. If this didn't happen, Penguin would still be allowing current eBooks to be at the library and I could read Fall of Giants as an eBook for free.
Your library doesn't have Fall of Giants?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If this didn't happen, Penguin would still be allowing current eBooks to be at the library and I could read Fall of Giants as an eBook for free.
I can get it at my libraries in the following formats: EPUB, PDF, MP3, WMA.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #34
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Fall of giants just recently dropped to 9.99 in the kindle store. It didn't drop to that for long after the paperback release. Giants was still 18.99 a few months ago. Already Winter suffers in amazon rating from 1 star reviews complaining of price.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
LOL, $25.26 for the kindle version.
$21 for the hard cover.

I see a lot of that for the popular new books. This is why I use my Kindle for freebies and public domain, and just use my library card for everything else. Maybe if I am lucky I can pick it up at the Library discard sale in a few months. They often have popular titles in the discard bin, that have minimal damage.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #36
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Already Winter suffers in amazon rating from 1 star reviews complaining of price.
It appears that Amazon is removing 1 star reviews stating the price is too high. I noticed several yesterday (including one which was complaining about Amazon removing these reviews) which are gone today.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #37
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
It appears that Amazon is removing 1 star reviews stating the price is too high. I noticed several yesterday (including one which was complaining about Amazon removing these reviews) which are gone today.
There are lots of discussion threads complaining of price, though. And I agree, publisher greed is outrageous, but the only response people can do is to "not buy" and say outright why they aren't buying on any forum that will allow it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #38
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can get it at my libraries in the following formats: EPUB, PDF, MP3, WMA.
Mine has all those as well as 'Zon format.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Mine has all those as well as 'Zon format.
Funny, I live in the Land of Zon and none of my libraries are as blessed as yours.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Fall of giants just recently dropped to 9.99 in the kindle store. It didn't drop to that for long after the paperback release. Giants was still 18.99 a few months ago. Already Winter suffers in amazon rating from 1 star reviews complaining of price.
The Fall of Giants mass market paperback didn't come out until the start of this month. A few months ago the only releases were the Hardcover and Trade PB both of which have/had high list prices.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Proof? I don't think this is 100% correct, because measures could have been put in place to not allow Penguin books for Kindle (or are already), but still allow ePub. Last time I looked 100% of the books through OverDrive as ePub are also available for Kindle.
Penguin pulled Kindle eBooks from the library in protest. Then they put them back and decided to not allow any new eBooks be it ePub or Kindle. This is because Overdrive/Amazon broke the agreement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Penguin pulled Kindle eBooks from the library in protest. Then they put them back and decided to not allow any new eBooks be it ePub or Kindle. This is because Overdrive/Amazon broke the agreement.
When and where did they say they weren't allowing any new eBooks strictly because of the Kindle deal? I know it happened around the same time, but if that was the reason (or the only reason) then they'd be selling their full catalog through other library services like 3M.

I think it was an excuse for them to get out of something they didn't want to do anymore under current terms and if it hadn't been that it would have been something else. From reading various things it sounds like one of the reasons they were pissed about the Amazon library deal was that Amazon refused to share customer data with them. Yes, apparently OverDrive broke an agreement, although supposedly they also consulted with the various publishers before any of this went live and none voiced complaints. So again I ask for some kind of info from Penguin that states that the reason they stopped selling library books was due to the Kindle deal (which they had already shown they could limit when they had OD remove the Kindle versions of their books for a time).
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When and where did they say they weren't allowing any new eBooks strictly because of the Kindle deal? I know it happened around the same time, but if that was the reason (or the only reason) then they'd be selling their full catalog through other library services like 3M.
Penguin is offering their catalog to 3M with a 6 month delay. Trial program in NYC that could expand. It doesn't appear 3M is operating fully at this time. I looked at Kansas' setup and it's very slow and not user friendly.

http://www.nypl.org/press/press-rele...-pilot-program

Of course, I don't know if this has anything to do with Amazon.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Penguin is offering their catalog to 3M with a 6 month delay. Trial program in NYC that could expand. It doesn't appear 3M is operating fully at this time. I looked at Kansas' setup and it's very slow and not user friendly.

http://www.nypl.org/press/press-rele...-pilot-program

Of course, I don't know if this has anything to do with Amazon.
Thanks for the info. At one point they were only offering a limited number of titles to 3M, I hadn't read that they'd made the entire catalog available (even if it is delayed).
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #45
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Thanks for the info. At one point they were only offering a limited number of titles to 3M, I hadn't read that they'd made the entire catalog available (even if it is delayed).
YW, I was hoping that 3M's platform would be a good Overdrive alternative. It doesn't currently appear to be the case.