Proper Right - Amazon *Slam-dunked* this time!!! 30 55.56%
Paper Weight - What *were* they thinking??? 9 16.67%
It's about the same old same old... 8 14.81%
I don't get excited about new technology, time will tell 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
@kasra5004 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182183 for komics...

@booklover6 The nook is better in terms of expansion for storage. unless you prefer pushing a lot files around via the wifi/3g. Me - that's a no.

Amazon don't list the processor or memory? never a great sign. I am guessing no better than the 5. Tough to say at with these two lists... so probably the nook by a nose.

Need fuller specs. They are "similiar" in many ways.
I have my Sony T1's for when I want to load on thousands of books.

I would like to know how the processor compares to the 1st gen touch.

I've ordered one....I just hope the screen is as durable as the new Kobo screen claims to be.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I think the 5 is 20% faster.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
8 weeks battery life with the light on.
That could be based on a half hour of reading per day, instead of an hour. Amazon did that the day the Nook Simple Touch was released, since the Nook advertised 2 Months of battery, Amazon instantly changed the battery life to being based on half the time.

So I'm betting the Kobo Glo and the Kindle PaperWhite have the same battery life.

The Kobo Glo says upto 55 hours of continues reading before the battery dies (With Glow on).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
duxbelli
duxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavens

Device: none
It seems odd to me that there is no audio jack. I actually have my KT read to me quite often while on the road. Sad to see this feature being phased out.
duxbelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The capacitive touchscreen worries me a bit. Those affect the screen, and is the reason IR touchscreens are some popular in e-readers. Could very well be they cracked the problem, OR that the paperwhite feature caused the same effect anyway, so they added it again. (edit: seems to have mixed-up the various touch-screen technologies. Resistive screens were what was used on ealier models)

Also, I think the omission of EPUB support and a memory slot is a mistake, in the sense that those are the distinguishable features of the competition. I don't see how including those would hurt Amazon's business, to be honest.

Last edited by ijdod; 09-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
Also, I think the omission of EPUB support and a memory slot is a mistake, in the sense that those are the distinguishable features of the competition. I don't see how including those would hurt Amazon's business, to be honest.
You don't see how giving people to ability to buy books in their competitors' stores would hurt Amazon's business?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't see how giving people to ability to buy books in their competitors' stores would hurt Amazon's business?
They could offer non-DRM epub support, that could attract a number of folks to buying a Kindle, because people could easily bring over all their epubs to the device without having to convert first.

So people with substantial epub libraries could just strip them of DRM and move over to the Kindle ecosystem without a hitch. I know I've converted some epubs to mobi, but I prefer the way the epubs look and function.

Besides, as it is, there are certainly other places that one can buy .mobi books without DRM and Amazon isn't worrying about that affecting their business.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
They could offer non-DRM epub support, that could attract a number of folks to buying a Kindle, because people could easily bring over all their epubs to the device without having to convert first.
This.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So people with substantial epub libraries could just strip them of DRM and move over to the Kindle ecosystem without a hitch. I know I've converted some epubs to mobi, but I prefer the way the epubs look and function.
You should be converting your ePubs to KF8, rather than Mobi. They will look identical to the ePub that way.

I guess it's a question of whether the benefit of being able to use ePub directly would outweigh the loss of sales from the Amazon store which would inevitably result. I strongly suspect that it would not.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #25
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
The capacitive touchscreen worries me a bit. Those affect the screen, and is the reason IR touchscreens are some popular in e-readers. Could very well be they cracked the problem, OR that the paperwhite feature caused the same effect anyway, so they added it again. (edit: seems to have mixed-up the various touch-screen technologies. Resistive screens were what was used on ealier models)
Also touchscreen is likely to be modern Cypress TrueTouch consisting of less layers of various materials in comparison with older touchscreen technologies. I guess it will decrease reading comfort not so much.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Besides, as it is, there are certainly other places that one can buy .mobi books without DRM and Amazon isn't worrying about that affecting their business.
Amazon is not interested in selling Kindle devices to people who don't buy from Amazon. The Kindles are only an Amazon content delivery platform, Amazon is not making a lot of money on them. So this will never happen. It is more likely that they will make it more difficult to read outside content.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A capacitive touch screen is a completely transparent chemical layer "painted" onto the screen. It's not an actual physically thick "thing" like the old resistive touch screens were.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
ijdod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You should be converting your ePubs to KF8, rather than Mobi. They will look identical to the ePub that way.

I guess it's a question of whether the benefit of being able to use ePub directly would outweigh the loss of sales from the Amazon store which would inevitably result. I strongly suspect that it would not.
Could be. That said, all the people I know who bought a non-Kindle, have done so for those reasons. This is by no means valid market research, but Amazon might be surprised.

Also, I'm a firm believer in standards. If they support non-DRM MOBI and PDF, they can do EPUB as well.

Tags
amazon, device, paperwhite, poll