Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
aguzman
aguzman began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE TOUCH
Kindle Touch unbriking troubles

Hello, im new in the forum. Im from Colombia and i bought recently a Kindle Touch. Trying to install the Doukan's firmware, my Kindle dont pass from the tree wallpaper.

I follow all the steps in this guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=unbrick

And i dont know what im doing wrong, because i cant unbrick my Kindle.

Firstable, i downloaded the diags Kernel and the diags partition with built-in SSH like the tutorial says (both to 5.0.0). Because, i cant download the main 5.0.0 firmware, i decided to download the main kernel and firmware for 5.1.2.

I used fastboot to flash the diags kernel and partition, after boot in diags. Because i can use SSH i do the next to put the main partition to 5.1.2 using
putty: dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

Next i think that i should install the main kernel to for 5.1.2 version and im using this command: dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4K
(i put and rename both archives in the Kindle Storage). After i use this commands to avoid troubles: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS (with this command the result are that the file dont exist)

idme -d --bootmode main

After reboot , the Kindle dont pass from the diags screen and freeze. To solve that i should use fastboot and reinstall the diags kernel to can use the diags dialog and can reboot the system. But when i reboot the kindle comes to diags.

I try different combinations of the 4 files (main kernel and partition , and diags kernel and partition), but the result is the same or the diags screen freeze or come to the tree screen and after to the diags screen.

I dont know what exactly i do wrong. Please give me some help to unbrick my Kindle.

PS: Sorry for my english.
aguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I think your problem is with this step from your post above:
Quote:
Next i think that i should install the main kernel to for 5.1.2 version and im using this command: dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4K
The main kernel should be installed using fastboot, only the command line is different.
The above copy command would just trash your main file system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Red face PEBKAC Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguzman View Post
Like knc1 said, the dd command that you used trashes your mmc contents. Luckily, the K4 and K5 protect some of that storage space that contains critical identifying information (serial number, etc.) that are NOT backed up in mmcblk0.img (write-only areas), but on a K3 you could have caused difficult problems.

You should install a kernel image with fastboot, not dd. /dev/mmcblk0 is the entire mmc, not the location of a kernel.

Start the debricking process over, and this time follow the instructions (flash kernels only with fastboot).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
aguzman
aguzman began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE TOUCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Like knc1 said, the dd command that you used trashes your mmc contents. Luckily, the K4 and K5 protect some of that storage space that contains critical identifying information (serial number, etc.) that are NOT backed up in mmcblk0.img (write-only areas), but on a K3 you could have caused difficult problems.

You should install a kernel image with fastboot, not dd. /dev/mmcblk0 is the entire mmc, not the location of a kernel.

Start the debricking process over, and this time follow the instructions (flash kernels only with fastboot).
How can I install both Kernels (diags, main)? this because in fastboot when i use this command: fastboot flash kernel DIAGS KERNEL 5.0.0.img and after fastboot flash kernel main Kernel 5.1.2.img, the second one delete the first one and the device dont start in diags screen.
aguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Red face More PEBKAC Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguzman View Post
Hello, im new in the forum. Im from Colombia and i bought recently a Kindle Touch. Trying to install the Doukan's firmware, my Kindle dont pass from the tree wallpaper.

I follow all the steps in this guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186076

And i dont know what im doing wrong, because i cant unbrick my Kindle.

Firstable, i downloaded the diags Kernel and the diags partition with built-in SSH like the tutorial says (both to 5.0.0). Because, i cant download the main 5.0.0 firmware, i decided to download the main kernel and firmware for 5.1.2.
I try different combinations of the 4 files (main kernel and partition , and diags kernel and partition), but the result is the same or the diags screen freeze or come to the tree screen and after to the diags screen.
The link in your first post points to a K3 debricking guide using ATK, but you say you have Touch problems flashing 5.x firmware.

You should be using the K4/K5 debricking guide, not the K3 debricking guide. The K4/K5 instructions use MfgTool and fastboot (not ATK as shown in your K3/ATK link).

What "different combinations"?

What made you think that flashing things to the WRONG places (different combinations) could possibly be a good thing to do?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
dmhs2004
dmhs2004 began at the beginning.

Device: dmhs2004@hotmail.com
tests without results

good afternoon,
I have also the same problem with my "Kindle Touch" screen appears me "tree", and I've tried several things to indicate on this page without satisfactory results as:
1. Making diags and kernel version match in 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 respectively, sending them with fastboot.
2. Put to charge my Kindle touch fastboot mode for 4 hours, without changes to report.
3. Change how the Kindle to "MAIN" without satisfactory results, the only difference is that now sees it as USB storage device.

I appreciate a lot of attention and if someone already found the solution please let me refer to the appropriate forum or send me the procedure to my mail.

Thank you.

dmhs2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@dmhs2004: you should follow the entire debricking procedure, not only parts of it. This involves flashing the diags kernel and partition, flashing the main kernel, then entering diags to overwrite the main partition (and possibly deleting /dev/mmcblk0p3). Simply completely follow the "n00b's guide" in the debricking thread.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@dmhs2004: What is your native language?
I am pretty sure there have been translations made of the n00b's guide.
I (or anyone else) could look them up for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
dmhs2004
dmhs2004 began at the beginning.

Device: dmhs2004@hotmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@dmhs2004: you should follow the entire debricking procedure, not only parts of it. This involves flashing the diags kernel and partition, flashing the main kernel, then entering diags to overwrite the main partition (and possibly deleting /dev/mmcblk0p3). Simply completely follow the "n00b's guide" in the debricking thread.

Thanks for your answer,

I followed the instructions of the guide for "noobs". https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

But I could not make the kindle touch enter diags mode (step 8), however the only thing I've done differently is associated with the file "kernel_5.0.0" found fallen on the link provided by the guide. Instead I used the following files on page: http://sebsauvage.net/paste/?09db6d9710295c82 # Fl5Yz + HWOQeErDTOH1IaUFYPh60IdMNowVzg6V43i2I =.

kernel 5.0.0 -> as kernel partition file.
diags_kernel 5.0.0 -> diags partition file.

Please could you tell me if the files I'm using for this purpose are correct?, Or if I'm reading correctly the guide?.

My native language is Spanish and I apologize for my English, because I have not found so specialized forums in my language.
dmhs2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhs2004 View Post
Thanks for your answer,

I followed the instructions of the guide for "noobs". https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

But I could not make the kindle touch enter diags mode (step 8), however the only thing I've done differently is associated with the file "kernel_5.0.0" found fallen on the link provided by the guide. Instead I used the following files on page: http://sebsauvage.net/paste/?09db6d9710295c82 # Fl5Yz + HWOQeErDTOH1IaUFYPh60IdMNowVzg6V43i2I =.

kernel 5.0.0 -> as kernel partition file.
diags_kernel 5.0.0 -> diags partition file.

Please could you tell me if the files I'm using for this purpose are correct?, Or if I'm reading correctly the guide?.

My native language is Spanish and I apologize for my English, because I have not found so specialized forums in my language.
Your link doesn't work. And you seem to be confusing "kernel" and "partition". (Though I acknowledge that this is probably partly due to fastboot labeling everything as a "partition", which is misleading)

Anyway, here is an example that should be working:
Code:
# all files are from the ixtab.tk mirror, and are gzipped.
fastboot flash diags_kernel kt_5.0.0-kernel_diags
fastboot flash diags kt_5.0.1-mmcblk0p2_diags+ssh.img
fastboot flash kernel kt_5.1.2-kernel_main
#... in diags, use kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img for the main partition.
Note that I may have gotten the fastboot syntax slightly wrong, this is written from memory, and I don't have the tool around.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote