Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
soundwaves
soundwaves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Battery life when not in use.

If you don't use something with a LiOn battery for a long enough period of time, the battery just goes kaput. Some electronic devices will break down altogether with long periods of disuse (it commonly happens with laptop CPUs). Now, in most electronics, this is at least a year of disuse. However, as much as I adore my Kindle, I have no delusions about just how well-made it actually is (this is a replacement for a faulty Kindle, and the bezel is detached from the screen out of the box - oh well, it works!).

So, has anybody not used their Kindle (specifically the Kindle Keyboard, but any model's feedback will do) for an extended period of time and had the battery or any other components suffer from the disuse? I've started reading two text books on my new iPad 2, and wanting to check out the Kindle app's ability to display .mobi as well as .pdf, I opened up The Stand. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, so now I'm stuck reading 1,100 pages on my iPad 2, which could take me up to six months. (I read very slowly - I know, it's tragic. ;__; )

So if my Kindle is off for six months, do you suppose I'll face any defective parts when I turn it back on?

(I realise that the logical thing to do would be to enter my current location into The Stand on the Kindle, but as it's a Keyboard model with a leather Marware case, neither the iPad or the Kindle are particularly light devices, and my uni bag is heavy enough with just one device! XD I bought The Stand from a different store, too, so Amazon sees it as a personal document and ... has never liked synching personal documents for me. So I'll just be taking the necessary one...)

Oh gosh wow this is really long. Sorry, I like talking about gadgets. Okay, have a tl;dr: If I don't use my Kindle Keyboard for 6 months, do you suppose it'll fry itself in vengeance?
soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Should be fine. The recommendation, if you plan to store a lithium battery for a while, is to charge the battery to about 40%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
soundwaves
soundwaves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Cheers.
soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Should be fine. The recommendation, if you plan to store a lithium battery for a while, is to charge the battery to about 40%.
Hmm, how do you know how much charge is on your Kindle battery?
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
Hmm, how do you know how much charge is on your Kindle battery?
Diagnostics can report battery charge, and can also discharge it to a safe shipping mode. You can read more about diagnostics mode in the hacking guides in the Developer Corner master indexes.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote