Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I proudly present working and tested fastboot for Windows.
Tested by rewriting diags partition by zeroes and then rewrote back with proper data.

Lack of ability flash main (system) partition correct still persist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So, fastboot MODE (not the fastboot program) has a maximum size limit that is smaller than the main system partition (mmcblk0p1), and it incorrectly reports "success" even though it fails for this reason.
So it can flash only diags partition or gets and sets vars like bootmode, serial etc...

To use this just run EXE.
To compile on 32 bit Windows, run make.bat.
To open command line in current directory run cmd.bat

Please post feedback.

Poetcop: <waiting for device> message has been deleted before, but now it should appear, if first found device is not Kindle in fastboot.

UPDATE LOG:
updated usb_windows.c - March 12th 2012
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot_win_public.zip (58.5 KB, 17470 views)

Last edited by hostar; 03-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I'm proudly present working and tested fastboot for Windows.
Tested by rewriting diags partition by zeroes and then rewrote back with proper data.
Lack of ability flash main (system) partition correct probably still persist.
So don't do this, flash only diags partition.

File are same like before, just run EXE, for compile on 32 bit Windows run make.bat.

Please post feedback.

Poetcop: <waiting for device> message has been deleted before, but now it should appear, if first found device is not Kindle in fastboot.
Hmm... in my case, I verified that windows sees my touch as a fastboot device (1949:d0d0), and I have libusb0.dll installed in c:\windows\system32. But I cannot get past <waiting for device> with your program. I tried running it from a DOS prompt, and in a cygwin shell.

@hostar: How did you test this on your system?

EDIT: Hmm... Now even my linux fastboot that previously worked is stuck at "<waiting for device>", so the problem I am seeing is probably not with your program here... *** Nevermind -- I forgot to do "sudo ./fastboot ...". The linux fastboot still works fine.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

I'm running it in DOS prompt. Tested by rewriting and restoring diags partition. I can provide you version with some debug output after about three hours, because now I'm at school.
If you want try to find bug , the info about foud devices and busses are in function find_devices or something like that

Last edited by hostar; 03-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm running it in DOS prompt. Tested by rewriting and restoring diags partition. I can provide you version with some debug output after about three hours, because now I'm at school.
Not only is my touch not showing as in fastboot mode, but it is stuck there. I used the diags menu to set fastboot, and that saves it to the bootmode idme var in mmc. To get out of fastboot mode, I need to write a different bootmode to mmc (using the fastboot tool, or by booting to diags and changing it there.

I was having a problem with my linux fastboot stuck at "<waiting for device>" too, until I realized that I needed to "sudo" it.

Your windows fastboot.exe is still stuck "<waiting for device>" though, even though windows is seeing the kindle fastboot device at 1949:d0d0.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
hostar
Zealot

Where do you trying windows fastboot?
On physical computer or virtual computer?
When I was developing it, I used virtual computer, Windows XP.
It needs to run VirtualBox under root.

After your reply I restarted to Windows.
In fact, my Windows are somehow partially wrecked.
But what I found was this:

0) Note: I have Windows 7 x64
1) Fastboot didn't work at all in Safe Mode in Windows
2) In normal Windows mode fastboot needs installed libusb drivers
3) Fastboot worked after selected "Disable driver signing check" (or something like that, I don't have English Windows) in F8 menu on Windows boot
4) But it works even if I HAVEN'T disabled that checking, but is was in some mode with many services disabled, because I just can't run Windows normally now.
5) Behavior you described I encountered when drivers wasn't installed or fastboot dropped out.

Attaching fastboot, that write number of found busses and devices, if they are not zero.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot-debug.zip (42.3 KB, 1558 views)

Last edited by hostar; 03-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
geekmaster

I tried it in 32-bit WinXP in a VirtualBox VM, running on a 64-bit Linux Mint (Ubuntu-based debian distro).

That environment works for MfgTool, so should also work for fastboot.

I have libusb-1.0 drivers installed in Windows.

EDIT: I previously tried your fastboot from a few days ago while trying different versions of libusb-win32 installed by different methods, none of which could see my kindle in fastboot mode even when selected in Virtualbox USB devices. I am also having some "missing headers" issues when I try to compile your source code, using MinGW.

This debug version reports "busses count: 1" "< waiting for device >".

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-12-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
hostar
Zealot

So that's strange.
Post that missing headers please.
Also: which Kindle are you trying? Touch or Non-touch?

Last edited by hostar; 03-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:
So that's strange.
Post that missing headers please.
Also: which Kindle are you trying? Touch or Non-touch?
I tracked down some of the missing headers, but now it wants "adb_api.h".

I tested it on a Touch. I could try K4 too...

Testing...

Well... Imagine that! It WORKS on the K4. But not on the Touch. How can that be?

The Touch only works (for me) with fastboot compiled for linux. Strange.

EDIT: I just tried the Touch again. Same problem. Strange. At least it works for the K4, but what problem could affect only the Touch and only on the windows fastboot?

Sadly, the main reason to get fastboot running on windows is to make it easier for Touch owners to flash a diags partition image with SSH pre-installed. The K4 already has SSH on its diags partition.

If we cannot get this working for the Touch, we may need to figure out how to flash the diags partition using a custom MfgTool profile. For now, users must deal with changing from windows to linux, with the problem of fastboot mode dropping out if the USB connection is disconnected or reset (such as by rebooting).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
hostar
Zealot

Don't give up yet.
The usb_find_devices() should return devices with libusb driver, so problem might be there.
As you wrote, you cannot see "devices count: 1", which should appear.
In this phase of program, everything is in libusb0.dll "hands"

Did you try to make drivers for K4 and Touch separately? One driver for each?
Also this driver you have to generate when Kindle is in fastboot.

I have updated usb_windows.h , there was some fragments of code, which is no longer needed. For example adb_api.h is not needed and everything what has something in common with Adb library is not needed too.

Unfortunately I can't test the Touch, because I have not one and even don't know anyone who has it.

Last edited by hostar; 03-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Don't give up yet.
The usb_find_devices() should return devices with libusb driver, so problem might be there.
As you wrote, you cannot see "devices count: 1", which should appear.
In this phase of program, everything is in libusb0.dll "hands"

Did you try to make drivers for K4 and Touch separately? One driver for each?
Also this driver you have to generate when Kindle is in fastboot.

I have updated usb_windows.h , there was some fragments of code, which is no longer needed. For example adb_api.h is not needed and everything what has something in common with Adb library either is not needed.

Unfortunately I can't test the Touch, because I have not one and even don't know anyone who has it.
It works, but only AFTER I installed the libusb-win32 driver for it (using my custom .INF file), like I had already done for the K4. I have both of them plugged in and in fastboot mode, and I can select which one to talk to with "fastboot -s" and the serial number shown in Device Manager.

Screenshot showing Device Manager with my K4 and Touch in fastboot mode, with serial numbers partially blacked-out:

And here is my custom Kindle-Fastboot.inf that file I used to install them:
PHP Code:
Kindle-Fastboot.inf
Copyright (c2010 libusb-win32 (GNU LGPL)
[
Strings]
DeviceName "Kindle-Fastboot"
VendorName "Amazon-Lab126"
SourceName "Kindle-Fastboot Install Disk"
DeviceID   "VID_1949&PID_D0D0"
DeviceGUID "{6E68684D-89D9-4E94-BA70-6DE08A1AA7E0}"

[Version]
Signature   "$Windows NT$"
Class       = "libusb-win32 devices"
ClassGuid   = {EB781AAF-9C70-4523-A5DF-642A87ECA567}
Provider    "libusb-win32"
CatalogFile Kindle-Fastboot.cat
DriverVer   
01/17/20121.2.6.0

[ClassInstall32]
Addreg libusb_class_install_add_reg

[libusb_class_install_add_reg]
HKR,,,0,"libusb-win32 devices"
HKR,,Icon,,-20

[Manufacturer]
%
VendorName% = DevicesNTNTAMD64NTIA64

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
libusb-win32 files

[
SourceDisksNames]
= %SourceName%

[
SourceDisksFiles.x86]
libusb0.sys     1,x86
libusb0_x86
.dll 1,x86

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
libusb0.sys     1,amd64
libusb0
.dll     1,amd64
libusb0_x86
.dll 1,x86

[SourceDisksFiles.ia64]
libusb0.sys     1,ia64
libusb0
.dll     1,ia64
libusb0_x86
.dll 1,x86

[DestinationDirs]
libusb_files_sys       10,system32\drivers
libusb_files_dll       
10,system32
libusb_files_dll_wow64 
10,syswow64
libusb_files_dll_x86   
10,system32

[libusb_files_sys]
libusb0.sys

[libusb_files_dll]
libusb0.dll

[libusb_files_dll_x86]
libusb0.dlllibusb0_x86.dll

[libusb_files_dll_wow64]
libusb0.dlllibusb0_x86.dll

libusb-win32 device driver

[
LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NT]
CopyFiles libusb_files_syslibusb_files_dll_x86

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTAMD64]
CopyFiles libusb_files_syslibusb_files_dlllibusb_files_dll_wow64

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTIA64]
CopyFiles libusb_files_syslibusb_files_dlllibusb_files_dll_wow64

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NT.HW]
DelReg libusb_del_reg_hw
AddReg 
libusb_add_reg_hw

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTAMD64.HW]
DelReg libusb_del_reg_hw
AddReg 
libusb_add_reg_hw

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTIA64.HW]
DelReg libusb_del_reg_hw
AddReg 
libusb_add_reg_hw

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NT.Services]
AddService libusb00x00000002libusb_add_service

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTAMD64.Services]

[LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTIA64.Services]

Older versions of this .inf file installed filter driversThey are not
needed any more and must be removed
[libusb_del_reg_hw]
HKR,,LowerFilters
HKR
,,UpperFilters

libusb-win32 device properties
[libusb_add_reg_hw]
HKR,,SurpriseRemovalOK,0x00010001,1

; (Optionalthe usb configuration value to select when this device
is started.  If this key does not exist the first config is selected.
;
HKR,,InitialConfigValue,0x00010001,<your config value>

libusb-win32 service

[
libusb_add_service]
DisplayName   "libusb-win32 - Kernel Driver 01/17/2012 1.2.6.0"
ServiceType   1
StartType     
ErrorControl  
ServiceBinary 
= %12%\libusb0.sys

libusb-win32 devices

Hardware IDs in a 'Devices' section can be installed by libusb-win32
using usb_install_driver_np(), usb_install_driver_np_rundll(), or the
inf-wizard utility.
;
[
Devices]
%
DeviceName% = LIBUSB_WIN32_DEVUSB\%DeviceID%

[
Devices.NT]
%
DeviceName% = LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTUSB\%DeviceID%

[
Devices.NTAMD64]
%
DeviceName% = LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTAMD64USB\%DeviceID%

[
Devices.NTIA64]
%
DeviceName% = LIBUSB_WIN32_DEV.NTIA64USB\%DeviceID
EDIT: This custom "Kindle-Fastboot.inf" file was created with "inf-wizard.exe" (part of "libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0"), after I put the VID/PID and "Kindle-Fastboot" in the form and clicked the button. You can do that too, or just copy/paste the text from above. When you install the kindle fastboot device, be sure to select "Install Manually" and select "Kindle-Fastboot" from the list of compatible devices.

When in fastboot mode, the "serial number" reported in Device Manager (and used by the "fastboot -s" option) is actually the "pcbsn" idme var, not the "normal" kindle serial number reported in the main settings menu. I hope you can figure it out from here...

@hostar: Thanks much. Now we need to get this into a simple step-by-step wiki page that includes the information provided above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
hostar
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It works, but only ...
So it works even for Touch?

About that INF file, I understand what you did, but it is not necessary to me if I haven't Touch, if I got your point correctly. But of course it is useful to community.

Quote:
Thanks much. Now we need...
I was happy to help. In fact those stuff is more interesting, then some boring syntax checking in school projects.

Last edited by hostar; 03-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
So it works even for Touch?

About that INF file, I understand what you did, but it is not necessary to me if I haven't Touch, if I got your point correctly.
Yes, it works for Touch if you have the libusb-win32 drivers installed for that specific Touch device. Because the pcbsn is part of the device identifier used in Device Manager, each device needs to be installed separately.

I used that .inf file for both the K4 and the Touch. Without it, it was just listed as a "Kindle" in "Unknown Devices" (with an exclamation mark), and fastboot could not see it.

I tried uninstalling my "Kindle-Fastboot" driver for both devices, and then fastboot could not see either of them. After reinstalling my driver, fastboot could see both of them in windows.

I did not try flashing an image yet. I could flash my touch diags partition with an image with no SSH, then after testing that SSH is missing, I could flash the image with SSH, and test that it works again. But later...

EDIT: The K4 also needed to be installed using my Kindle-Fastboot.inf file, when installed using the methods that I used. It looks like you did exactly the same as I did to create your own version of this file (see post #6 and post #20).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Lack of ability flash main (system) partition correct probably still persist.
That is not a problem with the fastboot program. Fastboot mode built into bist u-boot reports to the serial port that the image is too large and will be truncated (only a small part of it flashed to mmc). That is why it completes MUCH too quickly. Unfortunately, it reports back to fastboot that it "successfully" flashed this partial (truncated) image.

So, fastboot MODE (not the fastboot program) has a maximum size limit that is smaller than the main system partition (mmcblk0p1), and it incorrectly reports "success" even though it fails for this reason.

Fortunately, we can write this partition image using a linux "dd" command, running it either from a RUNME.sh script, or from an SSH command shell (both methods documented elsewhere).
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
geekmaster

The name of this thread has changed from "geekmaster simple request for assistance" to "fastboot for win32" to show that it has evolved into a kindle debricking solution that uses a new kindle fastboot for windows tool.

See the first post for details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1995421

Let's thank yifanlu for porting the android fastboot tool to the kindle, and hostar for porting yifanlu's kindle fastboot tool to a native win32 environment so you can run it at a windows command prompt, and PoetCop for providing a working example of using it to debrick a kindle.

P.S. Don't forget to install the libusb-win32 drivers for your kindle "fastboot" devices, or the fastboot program will be forever "< waiting for device >" even when your kindle is detected by windows as a "VID/PID 1949:d0d0" kindle fastboot device...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #30
hostar
Zealot

geekmaster: first post -> second link is broken
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2001621
instead of
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2001621

OT: You have some moderator rights, that you can change name of thread?
Because I tried to change name of my own created thread and nothing happen.