Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for iOS v2.6 updated today

And it still has a 'Kindle Store' button in it, which launches web browser for purchase. And no in-app purchase.

Do updates have to go through App Store approval?

If so, can we assume it will be business as usual for reading apps on iOS? Or that Amazon and Apple have made some sort of agreement? The Sony Reader app was rejected for some other reason?

Hmm.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Yes, app updates need to go through the approval process. Looks like the update is mainly for real page numbers, and nothing to do with the Sony Reader problem.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Since Sony doesn't HAVE a webstore, the app actually has to manage the purchases. That's the reason it got kicked.

Check that stupid "Sony store": http://ebookstore.sony.com/ you have to download the software which opens a... wait for it.... embedded webinterface and THEN you can buy books. But you can't actually buy at the website.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Just a word of warning guys, the whispersync workaround for sideloaded books no longer works! Do not update if you want this feature. Too late for me. Think I did make a backup a while back but its not the version before this.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Just a word of warning guys, the whispersync workaround for sideloaded books no longer works! Do not update if you want this feature. Too late for me. Think I did make a backup a while back but its not the version before this.
If I email a book to myself, the mobi attachment will still open in the Kindle app.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The having to have in-app purchasing does not have to be in the apps until I think March 31. So Amazon still has time to decide what to do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that it broke the last page sync for all my side loaded books, BUT except for one book which still syncs for some unknown reason. Now I wish I knew what was so special about that one!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Did you use the same B00 number as a real book on the kindle store? Mine is fake, I suppose it performs some kind of check against it now.

Anyway I managed to get a backup of 2.5 and can sync sideloaded books again.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
If I email a book to myself, the mobi attachment will still open in the Kindle app.
I believe neonbible is talking about the hack to get Amazon to sync non-Amazon content (by injecting an ASIN or some such thing).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Would you mind sharing your backup copy of the Kindle here? I really hate that I can't sync the books. And I don't really care about real book pages (that's offered in the update)
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
neonbible
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Would you mind sharing your backup copy of the Kindle here? I really hate that I can't sync the books. And I don't really care about real book pages (that's offered in the update)
I'm afraid I can't. The app is tied to your iTunes account. Maybe you still have a backup?

One feature I like in 2.6 is percentage read indicator. However it would be nice to see location of end of chapter too.

Last edited by neonbible; 02-16-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I just made a backup of 2.5 that was in iTunes. How did you re-install it. Just delete it from your iPhone and then re-install through iTunes?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
neonbible
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I just made a backup of 2.5 that was in iTunes. How did you re-install it. Just delete it from your iPhone and then re-install through iTunes?

Carol
Yes. Delete 2.6 from the device. Load up iTunes and drag and drop v2.5 onto your device. However you are always going to be notified of an update in Appstore now. I have heard there are ways to fool it into thinking you have the latest version.

Now I wonder if the latest version of Kindle for PC also breaks syncing.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
NdB
NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3g (One for me, One for the missus) and an iPhone each.
Hi Guys. Formed lurker here, but I just sussed this so I thought I'd register and post.

To get this working again you'll need to jailbreak your phone so you have some way of directly accessing the application folders (such as Iphone Folders http://iphonefolders.com/ )

It appears that the iphone app is assuming that anything in the folder where it keeps stuff that was 'sent' to the app is proper kindle content, whereas anything sideloaded through iTunes is external content therefore there's no point trying to whispersync it. I guess they're assuming no-one would bother downloading and installing proper amazon content from a PC when you're iphone is already connected to the internet...

So the solution is nice and simple. Find the kindle application folder (in /var/mobile/user/applications) then put the book in the 'Library/ebooks' folder (loading through iTunes sticks it in the 'Documents' folder instead.) The little refresh button will no longer be greyed out on the book, and it syncs as before.

this works fine with .mobi or .azw files.

Regards
-Andy
NdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
neonbible
Addict

Fantastic, it works! And you don't need to jailbreak your phone, just use iPhone Explorer. Copy it into Library/eBooks.

Thanks Andy