Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Looking for an MP3 player with USB-host capabilities

Does anyone know of any MP3 player (not necessarily portable) which can act as USB-host, for the purpose of playing songs from an USB drive (hard drive, or flash, or card reader...)?

I don't need video, nor connection to the TV, just something that can play music. A size between a netbook and a portable CD-player could be fine. Internal storage is unneeded too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Something like this, only with less bells and whistles, and cheaper?
Quote:
USB port and SD card slot
You can access music and pictures stored on flash drives and memory cards.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
or this
Colourful, light and easy to use, the Creative MuVo T100 is the MP3 player for work and play. It works like a USB flash drive, without cables - just plug it into a PC or notebook and then ‘drag and drop' your music to it for entertainment on the move, plus other digital files for backup or work.

Depends on what size storage you're looking for ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Something like this, only with less bells and whistles, and cheaper?
That looks like it. At least something exists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
or this
Colourful, light and easy to use, the Creative MuVo T100
No, that's the opposite, that's your typical USB-slave player, those are not hard to find. I'm looking for something that can play files from an external storage.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That looks like it. At least something exists!

No, that's the opposite, that's your typical USB-slave player, those are not hard to find. I'm looking for something that can play files from an external storage.
Here's another one from JVC,
http://www.frys.com/product/6175109?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

here's another from aluratek
http://www.frys.com/product/5890893?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Look for either high end boomboxes or micro-shelf systems in home audio.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
or this
Colourful, light and easy to use, the Creative MuVo T100 is the MP3 player for work and play. It works like a USB flash drive, without cables - just plug it into a PC or notebook and then ‘drag and drop' your music to it for entertainment on the move, plus other digital files for backup or work.

Depends on what size storage you're looking for ....
I never knew those Muvos still existed! I really adore mine, but it's only a 128Mb model (yes, it's ancient )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I never knew those Muvos still existed! I really adore mine, but it's only a 128Mb model (yes, it's ancient )
Both my wife and I have muvo 4GB models and, yes, they be ancient but still fully functional .
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does anyone know of any MP3 player (not necessarily portable) which can act as USB-host, for the purpose of playing songs from an USB drive (hard drive, or flash, or card reader...)?

I don't need video, nor connection to the TV, just something that can play music. A size between a netbook and a portable CD-player could be fine. Internal storage is unneeded too.
If you are looking for a player that is able to play music from a memory card, one of the Sansa digital audio players (Clip, Clip+, Fuze and Fuze+) might meet your requirements. Each is able to play music stored on a micro SD card.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
well then Creative is the brand for you.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
If you are looking for a player that is able to play music from a memory card, one of the Sansa digital audio players (Clip, Clip+, Fuze and Fuze+) might meet your requirements. Each is able to play music stored on a micro SD card.
I was thinking of something that could use a USB drive with all my music in it. At the moment an SD card is not enough (a 32 or 64 GB pen drive would be), but maybe in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
well then Creative is the brand for you.
I've always bought Creative players (first Nomad/DAP Jukebox, then MuVo, now a Zen Stone), but I could not find what I want from them.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
GeoffC

This, perhaps? Rackmount device to record onto or playback from USB or SD/MMC memory cards

USB storage media can directly be connected (e.g. USB hard disk, USB stick)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Look at archos, i just realised that thier new "internet tablet" have usb host. Even the smaller ones. Need a cable though.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll second the Archos suggestion.

While I've not used the current tablets, I have used the older Players such as the 402 and 450 and they worked very well.

just keep in mind that you may need some of the optional accessory to use the USB host feature, which can often be quiet expensive,
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Jellby, do you want the speakers with it, or just a playing device?
Do you want to be able to listen to CDs too, or should it be dedicated?

If speakers and CD are ok, then go to the local Huge Store for AV and test your hard drive with the available items. Almost every small Stereo has a USB port, but I don't know how many (if any) support USB HDD.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
GeoffC

I've recently bought this for my wife - not only can it play from a USB flash (16GB), but also via Wi-fi from PC .... http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Produc...M83i/index.htm

Brilliant !