Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
suzymca
suzymca began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
How do I know files have transferred, and an 'eject' question.

Still love it, just a couple issues that I'm trying to figure out!

I transferred a bunch of (non-drm'ed if that means anything) epubs via the USB cable as I don't have a card reader- I copied them into the PP drives that showed up on my Macbook, some on the SD card drive, some onto the internal memory drive. Went I ejected the drives, and went to read them, they wouldn't load- got the hourglass, and nothing came up, and they showed low kb's instead of the 1mb+ they should have been.

So is there a way to confirm that files have transferred properly, or do you just have to leave it plugged in for a couple minutes and assume the epubs are travelling merrily along the USB cable? Or long story short, should I just buy a card reader?

Now what's really driving bonkers, is when I right-click to eject the drives, they instantly show up again!!! Why!!!

Thanks if you can help
suzymca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzymca View Post
Still love it, just a couple issues that I'm trying to figure out!

I transferred a bunch of (non-drm'ed if that means anything) epubs via the USB cable as I don't have a card reader- I copied them into the PP drives that showed up on my Macbook, some on the SD card drive, some onto the internal memory drive. Went I ejected the drives, and went to read them, they wouldn't load- got the hourglass, and nothing came up, and they showed low kb's instead of the 1mb+ they should have been.

So is there a way to confirm that files have transferred properly, or do you just have to leave it plugged in for a couple minutes and assume the epubs are travelling merrily along the USB cable? Or long story short, should I just buy a card reader?
Wow, Macbooks don't have an SD card reader? Are you sure? I was sure pretty much every laptop made in the last 5 or 6 years had a reader built in, I'd be very surprised if your Macbook doesn't.

If your Mac has reading software available to read epubs the easiest way to check if the files have finished transferring would be to actually try and open them from the PP with it still connected.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
suzymca

haha- you just had me lifting up the laptop that's been attached to my hip for the past three years, looking for an SD card reader slot... Nope, no reader. Thanks though for re-acquainting me with it

Going to try ejecting it again, and then will look to see if they fully transferred or not, as it won't let me do it while it's hooked up.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzymca View Post
haha- you just had me lifting up the laptop that's been attached to my hip for the past three years, looking for an SD card reader slot... Nope, no reader. Thanks though for re-acquainting me with it
LOL, I know the feeling I've had my ipod touch surgically removed and replaced with my PP

I am honestly surprised about the macbook not having a card reader though. I have read something in one of the posts on this forums about problems with Macs and SD cards though I'm not sure if it relates to your post as you are connecting via USB, I will try and find it again and post the link if it does relate to your problem.

Does OSX not give you some indication of file transfer time whilst copying files over USB?
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
(PC owner) When I copy onto the device there have been no problems. It appears instantenous. I do go over in my Window's Explorer and verify before I eject.

One trick I have learned about ejecting.....

I always go to a simple program, my address book or something, make a small change, like add a space, then hit the save button. I have found that this works, I believe it is because it clears out buffers, maybe techs can explain it. But after I have saved something else after saving to my SD Card and/or my reader, then the eject system works fine.

If I don't do this, I sometimes get error messages on the card saying the files were corrupted.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
suzymca

Okay getting really annoyed

Just went out and bought a card reader, as I wasn't getting a 'progress' bar or anything by transferring them via the USB cable. Sometimes the epubs would show up on the reader, sometimes not. Tried PDF's and lit and html files too.

Now I see a progress bar when I send the files to the reader, and it ejected fine. Good. All files show on the card.

Plug it into the reader, and each file shows, with the majority only showing that they're 4kb's in size, with the rest showing an approx. of their true size (majority under 1mb). The files that show true size won't open. ETA: If I transfer 5 files, TEN show up- the first 5 that show are the novels showing a strange ._ in front of the names, and these 5 are 40kb each. The next 5 are the same titles, showing without the ._, showing their size as approximate. Geeze.

Gah! What the eff am I doing wrong? Trying to figure this out with a 3 year old under foot, a 4 month old prone to tears, and a husband harping that "See I told you so, shouldn't have bought it...." God now the babe is crying again, please help me figure this out?

Just tried with the SD card out of my Nikon, and same thing happens.

Last edited by suzymca; 09-25-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Just tried searching for the last ten minutes trying to find the post I saw a couple weeks ago that addressed this issue, but no joy. I seem to recall someone saying that there is an issue with formatting sd cards for the mac, but I don't remember any useful details.

If I can find anything I will pass it along!
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
suzymca

lol great minds

http://chamberfour.com/2009/09/21/po...iewed/#sdcards

Have just partitioned the SD card, put the firmware update on it, and am about to put it in the reader.....

One weird thing I notice though, was if I opened an epub in Stanza, then exported it as a pdb file, it would open- not formatted well, but at least it opened.

Will keep you updated
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
In the Chamber Four review, the reviewer mentioned he had problems with the SD Card on a mac. This was his solution. I hope it helps!

Quote:
Postscript: A note on SD Cards for Mac users

I had some trouble with various SD and SDHC cards on this device, and I finally figured out that Mac OS X does weird things to SD cards when it “erases” them. Here’s how to get OS X to properly format your SD card for the EZ Reader. (Note: I use Snow Leopard. I’m pretty sure this fix works with Leopard, not sure about Tiger.)

You’ll want your SD card to be formatted in FAT32 so it’s readable by the EZ Reader (as well as both Windows and Mac machines). However, if you use Disk Utility and simply select “Erase,” the EZ Reader won’t read the card.

Instead, in the Disk Utility window, select the SD card you want to format and click “Partition.” Under Volume Scheme, select “1 Partition.” Then click Options (below the partition window), and check “Master Boot Record.” Finally, under Volume Information, change Format to “MS-DOS (FAT)” and click Apply.

This will erase everything on the card, so make sure it’s backed up.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
suzymca

ahhhh chr*st! Just put it in, held down the volume up button and then the power button, it said "Okay, push any key to reboot", and then it started beeping maniacally and now says "Update has been cancelled! Press any key to reboot"

Walking slowly away from the computer now, swear I'm ready to fling this right back to astak but I'm too stubborn and insist on torturing myself to find the answer Must eat cupcakes
Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
suzymca

ha Tamzilla, must have both been posting Cheers, tried it, ready to pull my hair out, walking away to take a breather now
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

We must have posted at the same time! You sound like you are having a time of it. I hope it starts working for you.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
tamzilla
Zealot

Usually I'm the one who always has the bad luck. I'm feeling kind of guilty, my PP has been very well behaved.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
@ Suzymca - If you have the 5 inch Pocket Pro - it doesn't use the volume up button for updates. It uses the upper page turn button on the left of the PP. Weird, don't know why they changed that. OTOH, if you do have the 6 inch EZ Reader, I can only offer sympathy, 'cause it seems you're doing everything right...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
suzymca

Ack. Thanks, yep it's a 5", I was using that left hand button- on the astak site, it says right side, on the ezreader site it says left, so I went with the left

Update: So, all my epub files I changed to mobi files via stanza, and they transfer and read great. But what is up with that?

The epubs were originally created from this awesome puller-thingy http://flag.erayd.net/ to get fanfic from fanfiction.net....ALL the files on my Macbook read brilliantly through Stanza on my iTouch- now I have to convert them all? Thinking I might bite the bullet, burn them to dvd, put them on hubby's pc, and try loading the epubs onto the PP from there. Grrrr.

On a positive note, my purple one seems to have none of the blistering issues (as yet)! Guess it being left to sit a week in the post office might have helped...