Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
mijd
mijd began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N97 (Mobireader)
Extract data from *.dat dictionary file

Hi everybody.

As I legaly purchase the dictionary french software "Le Petit Robert 2012" and "Le Robert et Collins" in Cd-Rom, and as there is no mobile version compatible with Mobipocket Mobireader on my Nokia N97, I think I have the rights to try to convert them in format that can read my reader.

I tryed...

But the problem is these software store the words list in a *.dat file that I can't read. All text editors view these files in strange way. I think the data are compiled in some way that only the native software can read it.

My question: is there a way to extract the dictionary from the *.dat file for using it to build a compatible prc or mobi file for my reader ?

Please enlighten me.

Thank you in advance
mijd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The problem is that .dat is very general and can be almost everything. You might be able to open the file in a hex editor and from the first few lines get an idea about the format or program used.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijd View Post
As I legaly purchase the dictionary french software "Le Petit Robert 2012" and "Le Robert et Collins" in Cd-Rom, and as there is no mobile version compatible with Mobipocket Mobireader on my Nokia N97, I think I have the rights to try to convert them in format that can read my reader.
Not really. Unfortunately, most commercial software license agreements explicitly prohibit reverse engineering and derivative works.

If you're looking for a free monolingual French dictionary, check out the Littré dictionary. It's not the Robert, but it's better than nothing.

You can download a free Mobipocket version from this website.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Not really. Unfortunately, most commercial software license agreements explicitly prohibit reverse engineering and derivative works.
And often (or at least in some countries) those terms of the license are null and void, because the user has the right nevertheless, and the license cannot take it away.

That is, as long as this is for personal use and not for redistribution.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
mijd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The problem is that .dat is very general and can be almost everything. You might be able to open the file in a hex editor and from the first few lines get an idea about the format or program used.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And often (or at least in some countries) those terms of the license are null and void, because the user has the right nevertheless, and the license cannot take it away.

That is, as long as this is for personal use and not for redistribution.
It's for personal use only.

Toxaris : I used some hex editors as you recomanded to me. But I think the file is totaly obscur. I cant find any goup of understandable sting characters

I googled if it exist a tool to extract data from this kind of *.dat file in vain.
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijd View Post
I googled if it exist a tool to extract data from this kind of *.dat file in vain.
You could try to have the .dat file analyzed by a signature based tool such as TrID to check whether it's common file format with an .dat extension, however, I highly doubt that the publisher used a common database format and if they did, the content is most likely encrypted and/or password-protected.
Many publishers also license third party dictionary tools that almost always use encrypted database files.

You may want to accept the fact that you most likely cannot convert the .dat file to a format that you can read on your smartphone.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
mijd

Quote:
You could try to have the .dat file analyzed by a signature based tool such as TrID to check whether it's common file format with an .dat extension, however, I highly doubt that the publisher used a common database format and if they did, the content is most likely encrypted and/or password-protected.
Many publishers also license third party dictionary tools that almost always use encrypted database files.

You may want to accept the fact that you most likely cannot convert the .dat file to a format that you can read on your smartphone.
Sure, you are right. I have to give up . TrID said "Unknown" as you can see below :

C:\Users\Windows7\Desktop\trid_w32>trid.exe pr1.dat

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.10 - (C) 2003-11 By M.Pontello
Definitions found: 5114
Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: PR1.DAT
Unknown!

C:\Users\Windows7\Desktop\trid_w32>

Nevetheless, there is some good news. After many hours of googling I found in a russian ebook forum, a dictionary from the same publisher : Le Grand Robert de la Langue Française 2005. This is ported from the same *.dat file format to *.mobi.

link removed, refers to copyright-infringing content

I don't know who did this great job and how he did it . I have the CD-Rom of this dictionary but I stopped used it because it is a 2005 edition and because I purchased the "Petit Robert 2012 Edition" with more newer words.

I successfuly downloaded this dictionary from the russian website forum even if I don't understand any litle word in russian . And by the way I have no information about the person who posted this dictionary. I would be fine if he would like to accept to exchange with us how he ported this dictionary to Mobipocket format.

Meanwhile, I'll use the 2005 edition to view defenition of words in my french ebooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrID.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	110695  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-10-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: link removed, refers to copyright-infringing content