Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
Device with an E Ink Carta screen.
I really, really wasn't going to do it, but after seeing that picture, I placed an order. Darn it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
More important, I think, is Regal, and from Kobo's marketing for the new Aura it looks like the Aura has Regal.
According to a Tweet I saw posted from eInk the Aura definitely has the Regal waveform tech.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kobo Aura tech specs states it has "Pearl E Ink ClarityScreen with low-flash waveform". Amazon strangely doesn't seem to make any mention of the improved refresh, it's only been stated in reviews so far, hasn't it?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I really, really wasn't going to do it, but after seeing that picture, I placed an order. Darn it.
I'll be waiting for your review! I'm definitely holding off this year as I got burned so badly last year by the PW1.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Sorry, wrong anwser.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

As far as page refreshes, Kindles and other readers have had settings to regulate them for a while now. Kindles have advertised fewer page refreshes, but in my experience I've always needed to set the page refresh to activate with each page turn, otherwise I get ghosting. I'll believe the claims of much better page refreshing when I see it demonstrated. I personally have no issue with refreshing pages with every page turn, so it isn't a big improvement IMO.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A comparison to the Pearl Spec Sheet is worthwhile.

Dark:Light on pearl is 24:70
Dark:Light on carta is 19:74

Quite how those numbers get converted into a contrast ratio I'm not sure, but it certainly does have a lighter white and darker black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Reflectance has gone from 40.7% to 44%. A very significant increase.

1st gen EInk has reflectance of 32-35%
2nd gen (Vizplex) has reflectance of 40%
3rd gen (Pearl) has reflectance of 40.7%
4th gen (Carta) has reflectance of 44%

Still not quite paperwhite, but getting there!
(paperback paper is around 60-70%. Glossy magazine paper around 80-90%)

Combined, that is a 44% improvement over Pearl.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That's just business. Money talks, as they say. I'm sure Amazon made eInk a great offer to get exclusivity of Carta. In the USA, AT&T cut a deal with Apple wherein they had the only iPhone service plans when they were originally released. That pi$$ed off a lot of people who had 2-year contracts with other carriers! As for the other carriers, they should have bid higher.

EDIT: I'm sure it helped that Amazon is the biggest buyer of eInk screens. I suspect Amazon buys more screens than all the other manufacturers combined.
I haven't seen recent numbers but the last I saw for 2011 had amazon with nearly 70% share of eink's screen capacity.

And there have been reports Amazon helped fund Pearl manufacturing which is why, back in 2010 they were the only vendor with ample Pearl screen supplies: they had first claim on production. It thus makes sense that this time around they asked for and received an outright exclusivity window to carry them through the holidays, at least. After all, with Nook clearly cutting back on volume--if they even do a new eink reader--nobody comes even close to matching Kindle sales volume.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Obviously I need to stay away from handling these or I'll be tempted to upgrade my PW, which I am otherwise still happy with.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That photo right there illustrates the need for frontlighting perfectly; without it, even the latest tech has a gray background.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Likely their exclusivity is due to them buying the entire first run of screens with that tech and probably only lasts until eInk gets higher production capacity up and running. Didn't someone do that when Pearl came out (Sony?) or maybe it was when regular Viziplex came out.
Amazon had the Pearl for the first 6 months, maybe a year, on the DXG and K2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
(belated) Congratulations. Boy or girl?
Boy. His day to day existance is discussed in the What Do You Drink Thread.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
What is the device shown?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon had the Pearl for the first 6 months, maybe a year, on the DXG and K2.
Ahh, I knew someone had it exclusively. (although it'd be the K3 not the K2).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
What is the device shown?
An eink reference design, apparently.
It's got their logo, anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I actually wonder how desirable a "whiter white" is. With the front light, I imagine it will make the display noticeably brighter in a dark room. I already find the Kobo Glo at the lowest light setting uncomfortably bright at night.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote