Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #31
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sounds like my DRM-free Multiformat books will have Nook DRM encryption imposed when/if they move over to B&N. Can anyone who has moved ebooks over confirm this?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
And good luck with that.

In the middle of the night (around 3-4 am), I just got error after error trying to get a final duplicate backup (in case I've misplaced something).

My palm purchases go back to 2000!

I suspect many, many (maybe most?) of my purchases won't transfer. there was supposed to be a link in the email I got, showing what doesn't, but it didn't work.

Looks like we were doing the same thing at the same time. I got a few books to download then it started giving me broken files. Now the site wont even load.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Sounds like my DRM-free Multiformat books will have Nook DRM encryption imposed when/if they move over to B&N. Can anyone who has moved ebooks over confirm this?
Not necessarily. It's up to the publisher or author.

Quote:
Security/DRM.
Barnes & Noble shall use commercially reasonable efforts to provide industry standard and commercially reasonable copyright protection (Digital Rights Management, herein referred to as "DRM") for those Content Providers who have indicated to Barnes & Noble that DRM is to be applied for an eBook.
PubIt: Registration Terms & Conditions.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #34
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I tested transferring one of my DRM-free Multi-format titles from my Nook library to my Sony Reader library; it opens just fine; my guess is there's no Nook-DRM encryption imposed on books that were originally multi-format at Fictionwise.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Looks like we were doing the same thing at the same time. I got a few books to download then it started giving me broken files. Now the site wont even load.
Okay it's suddenly working again! I got the missing books. Now to zip it all up and make a ton of backups.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Used the coupon code last night (Australian time) to buy a large bunch of stuff (including the latest Analog and Asimov's) on my wish list and it was still valid, thank goodness. Has expired now. Wonder if we'll see any more, or if that was the last one? They'll be missed...

Last edited by ozron; 11-17-2012 at 01:34 AM.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #37
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Mine, too! Fortunately I downloaded everything when B&N bought them. I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to close - thought it would be sooner.

I copied a list of all my books from my bookshelf just to be sure of what I have. That was tedious - Gah! 57 pages.

You can also use the bulk download, which makes it a little less painful.
I plan to do so, but that means only 4 pages at a time (100 book limit) and having to note any that refuse bulk downloads.

I'm almost tempted to change my default format for multi-format to epub and redownload the lot (since I downloaded all as Mobi, originally, for my Kindle).

At least Calibre can now handle the few non-DRM'd PDB's I had from palm/ereader. I had lost access to them entirely (unless I wanted to try to charge up an old palm pilot).

thanks, AnemicOak, for the link to the list of non-supported titles. it does appear to be "small", but I wonder if it is comprehensive.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I'm almost tempted to change my default format for multi-format to epub and redownload the lot (since I downloaded all as Mobi, originally, for my Kindle).
I'd certainly recommend downloading Multiformats as ePubs for archiving, even if you also get them as Mobipocket or another format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #39
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
I plan to do so, but that means only 4 pages at a time (100 book limit) and having to note any that refuse bulk downloads.
Here's the easy way to bulk download if you want to do all your books:

Use the yellow section on the left of the bulk download page.

1. Check all ebooks.

2. Choose a default download format from the dropdown box.

3. Click Download Now at the bottom of that section.

At the middle top of the page you will see the downloads being made ready. When it's finished it will take you to a blank page.

4. Click back and in that section will now be zipped files of 100 books each x however many it takes to equal the number of books you have.

5. Click on each of these and download them.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #40
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So now I have to find a new source for Analog & Asimov's, does anyone subscribe to these at B&N or Sony Reader stores? I refuse to deal with Amazon considering you can only read them on your Kindle and they expire. Looking for someone like FW where you get to keep each issue, and preferably DRM free.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #41
ozron
Groupie

Quote:

---< snip >---
Thanks NightBird, quick time saver!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #42
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
So now I have to find a new source for Analog & Asimov's, does anyone subscribe to these at B&N or Sony Reader stores? I refuse to deal with Amazon considering you can only read them on your Kindle and they expire. Looking for someone like FW where you get to keep each issue, and preferably DRM free.
I have just emailed Analog to ask how they intend to support their readers, those that do not have a Nook, a Kindle or an iPad. I will post any response I get but I would encourage others to write as well (to analog@dellmagazines.com).

I would love for Dell Magazines to provide non-DRM ePub subscriptions directly so that we don't have to be at the mercy of the various distributors with their own devices.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #43
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
I have copies of my (non-DRM) books from Fictionwise on my PC, on my reader, and on an external drive, all in ePub format. Would you recommend I download them in other formats like Mobipocket (I might get a Kindle one of these days) just in case, or trust in Calibre should that day come?

Are there other non-US readers here, and are any of you tranferring your books to B&N? Is it possible at all? B&N are planning to expand to Germany, but to my knowledge they are not here yet.
Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I downloaded Mobi, EPub and PDF, just to cover all all my options,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #45
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:

1. Check all ebooks.

2. Choose a default download format from the dropdown box.

3. Click Download Now at the bottom of that section.

At the middle top of the page you will see the downloads being made ready. When it's finished it will take you to a blank page.

4. Click back and in that section will now be zipped files of 100 books each x however many it takes to equal the number of books you have.

5. Click on each of these and download them.
Thanks for that - much easier than choosing books four pages at a time.

ETA: Especially since I have 68 pages to get thru).

Last edited by koland; 11-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote