Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Fredom
Fredom doesn't litterFredom doesn't litterFredom doesn't litter

Device: iPhone, iPad
Conversion of EPUB format to run on all the other Ereaders

Hi folk, about a year ago I completed a RTF via HTML file conversion on Calibre to obtain a perfectly Chapter indexed EPUB format book which runs beautifully on an iPhone, iPad and an iMac.

Will Calibre take this EPUB format (With coloured photos) to convert without further ado to run on all the various current Ereaders that Calibre lists in its capabilities of output?

If so are there limitations, or can I just do one after the other eg. Sony readers and all the other manufacturers' readers.

i.e. Will Calibre convert an EPUB format from one manufacturer (Apple, in this instance) to another manufacturer's one, dropping that part of the EPUB specification what is not included in the latter's specification for the eReader concerned?

I want to have this book available on a website for the various available eReaders which Calibre appears to handle. I tried it on a Sony one about a year ago but I got error messages I didn't understand.

Does any one do this multi-conversion operation?
Fredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Calibre doesn't have any logic to sort out one vendor's epub rendering quirks vs. another's.

In general an epub that comforms to Flightcheck in Sigil or epubcheck will render just fine across all epub readers. What you may see is slightly different interpretations of the spec on some readers and slight differences in rendering, that's it. Most epub readers actually use ADE's engine, which means in general they render identically.

There are some egregious oversights/extensions on some vendor's parts, like Apple's including of video, fixed width proprietary extensions, and ignoring of standard font embedding/handling practices. Calibre doesn't try to fix any of that for you automatically though.

The only thing you need to convert for in general is for readers which don't support epub, e.g. mobi for Kindle.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert