Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My nephew read the 800+ pages of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" when he was 7 years old and was entranced by it.
You lucky UK people
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It wasn't sold in Spain? (You are in Spain, yes?)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It wasn't sold in Spain? (You are in Spain, yes?)
Yes, it was, even in English... I meant you are lucky if your children can read such large books.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
My nephew read the 800+ pages of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" when he was 7 years old and was entranced by it.
Yeah my nephew was a harry potter nut too. I can't remember how old he was when he got into I'm thinking around 9yrs. He read each book multiple times and even order the UK English version of the books just to read them in it's original form.

My daughter 8yrs reads that much but could never get into HP. She'll u sally likes girly books which don't tend to be in such a large volume. So she'll read them back to back finishing one book a day.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I LOL at it, but must agree that it is too dark for kiddie lit. My mom has the whole series in 1st editions and it all had the original illustrations that my mom hand colored as a child. I look forward to seeing your omnibus.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
That doesn't count, that's Harry Potter.

Seriously though, HP is like crack for kids. I've seen kids who would have never read a book if not forced to go through the entire series in a few months. This is probably a good thing.

I personally got hooked on reading in general by reading The Hobbit when I was nine. I then burned through LOTR in a year, although I was admittedly too young to fully appreciate it (I've read it a few times since then).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
2009 Winner of The SOD Award!

(Son of Drib - not those "other" definitions! Well....all right, but you'll have to guess which of those many "sod" definitions I'm referring to!!!!)

DO it, NATE!!

Go, Naatte!

Gooo, Naaaaatte!

Hahahahahaha - shock the pants and knickers off of everyone!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Seriously, I can't imagine an 8-year-old child reading a book without pictures and more than 50 pages today
Quote:
J K Rowling got the criticism that books for kids needed to be shorter, but the Harry Potter books revolutionized publishing for kids. Tamora Pierce, in her preface to Trickster's Choice commented that this story would be printed in two books rather than her previous quartets because the success of the Harry Potter books finally showed publishers that young readers will read big books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My daughter 8yrs reads that much but could never get into HP. She'll u sally likes girly books which don't tend to be in such a large volume. So she'll read them back to back finishing one book a day.
Introduce your daughter to Tamora Pierce. She has written excellent fantasy books with strong female characters. You might take a look at this interview with Pierce. She has some interesting things to say about the girls and women in her books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #25
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
2009 Winner of The SOD Award!

(Son of Drib - not those "other" definitions! Well....all right, but you'll have to guess which of those many "sod" definitions I'm referring to!!!!)
Well, in my field of expertise, that would be "Sediment Oxygen Demand". Although I didn't know there was an award for that.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote