Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
pathscollide
pathscollide began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (623)
Unhappy PocketBook Touch Lux 623 uneven display

Hello all,

I just purchased my first ereader -- a PocketBook Touch Lux -- and am somewhat concerned by the display issues I'm seeing.

My point of comparison is my lady's 4th generation Kindle, which as far as I can tell always displays cleanly and clearly.

When I'm reading text on the PocketBook (e.g. one of the many ebooks provided with the device), it often displays unevenly (parts of certain characters are lighter than other parts) or looks somewhat aliased. This generally improves when the screen refreshes, but not always.

I'm also seeing some ghosting and uneven display issues when using the menus that superimpose themselves over other elements. For example, on the home screen, when I open then close the main menu, I can still see a faint shadow of the menu, and the dividing lines between the book titles are displayed unevenly.

I should note that in the settings, Text Rendering is set to "Good quality" and Complete Page Refresh is set to every 5 pages (though I wouldn't want to reduce it much as that would become annoying).

The demo unit I tried also had these problems, though the battery level was extremely low so the salesperson though that might be causing the problem.

Does anyone know if this is "normal" for this device? Is there a way to remedy this problem? It's like reading a poorly printed book, which isn't very pleasant.

Thanks!
pathscollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathscollide View Post
I should note that in the settings, Text Rendering is set to "Good quality" and Complete Page Refresh is set to every 5 pages (though I wouldn't want to reduce it much as that would become annoying).
I think you should nevertheless set "Complete Page Refresh" to "Every Page" just to see if this would solve your problem or if your screen is faulty.

Welcome to MobileRead, pathscollide!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
pathscollide

Thanks for the reply and for the welcome, Billi!

If I set the device to refresh on every page turn, the unevenness in the text goes away -- though I can't use it in this state, the flashing bothers me.

However, as this setting really only applies systematically when turning pages, on the home screen I still do see weird artefacts when doing things like expanding and collapsing the menu (e.g. ghosting and faded areas).
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
pathscollide

As an example of how badly the display degrades, have a look at the attached screenshot. This is what happened when I turned on the text to speech feature (which is pretty cool but also kind of buggy).

The black block on the left indicates the portion that is currently being read. Look at how badly the text on those lines displays. Have other people experienced this? From my perspective it's hard to consider this a market-ready product...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PocketBook Touch Lux display issue.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	673.2 KB
ID:	112542  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
When I remember it right other owners have occasionally reported similar issues in the German subforum, for instance, after leaving the dictionary.
Maybe you can contact Forkosigan (a Pocketbook representative who is very active and helpful in the German subforum here, speaks Russian too) to ask him if you have a faulty device. Otherwise, do you still have a right to return the reader?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
pathscollide

I guess I just have to get used to e-ink screens... It seems this sort of thing is fairly widespread. I guess all the hype about e-ink led me expect it to be more like a sheet of paper. I changed the refresh to every 3 pages and that seems OK.

Thanks again for your response.