Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #211
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Dunno if anyone has posted this, but Amazon has a number of "cozy mystery" novel collections , which are being sold for the very reasonable price of $0.99.

A must-have for fans of classic mysteries!
These are public domain stories that have been collected by now defunct Ignacio Hills Press. Nothing wrong with spending the 99¢ but the stories are generally turn of the 20th century vintage (Wilkie Collins, GK Chesterton) and probably all of the content is available from Project Gutenberg. All the "novels" in this collection definitely are.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #212
RS Smith
RS Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Humorous cozies

Hi, found two fun cozies recently. I guess they could be called "geezer" lit (protagonists were 50+) but had intriguing mysteries and some clever writing. The best part: only $2.99 Kindle priced on Amazon. I got a lot of bang for my buck from these two.

Sunshine Estates: Rx for Rosedale (funny) by Lynn Shirey
Retirement Homes Are Murder by Mike Befeler (sweet)

Yeah for cozies! Great mysteries, no blood or gore. Yep, great with tea and cookies. Then maybe a nap with the cat? Happy reading.
RS Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #213
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Smith View Post
Hi, found two fun cozies recently. I guess they could be called "geezer" lit (protagonists were 50+) but had intriguing mysteries and some clever writing. The best part: only $2.99 Kindle priced on Amazon. I got a lot of bang for my buck from these two.

Sunshine Estates: Rx for Rosedale (funny) by Lynn Shirey
Retirement Homes Are Murder by Mike Befeler (sweet)

Yeah for cozies! Great mysteries, no blood or gore. Yep, great with tea and cookies. Then maybe a nap with the cat? Happy reading.
Welcome to MR!
Another "geezer lit" (CUTE! though I prefer the term "gently aged" LOL. ) series might be Rita Lakin's Gladdy Gold.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #214
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Nor are Miss Marple or Gladys Mitchell's Mrs Bradley exactly "spring chickens"! LOL!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #215
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's that other one? Oh, Miss Silver! And Mrs. Pargeter by Simon Brett. Man would I love to get my hands on Mrs. Pargeter in ebook....
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #216
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Nor are Miss Marple or Gladys Mitchell's Mrs Bradley exactly "spring chickens"! LOL!
Now they definitely aint geezers.......

Not even right geezers......

Course, in the real world, geezer don't have to mean old, more experienced - bin rahnd the block a foo times, aintcha.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #217
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
What's that other one? Oh, Miss Silver! And Mrs. Pargeter by Simon Brett. Man would I love to get my hands on Mrs. Pargeter in ebook....
The availability of Simon Brett's books as ebooks seems linked to publishers - quite a few of his back titles are being released as ebooks - but not Mrs. Pargeter yet.

If you like PG Wodehouse, try Brett's Blotto & Twinks series - madcap sleuthing with incandescent silly dialogue & narration.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #218
lyric39
lyric39
lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: elonex 621eb
An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick taylor reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
No, can't get it - Found it on Diesel, went rihgt through PayPal process, then told it was being removed 'cos of geography.....blah blah .

Pardon my language, but....bum !

Wonder if my cousins could get it for me... no, that won't work, no ereaders among 'em.
Oh, calamity....
So strange that you can't find it I just looked on google and it comes up everywhere in both paid and free sites, try typing an irish country doctor download, it seems to be availabe in pdf too and also audio book also try typing Patrick Taylor in google.
Sorry i can't be more help cant remeber where I got it.
Good luck
lyric39
lyric39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #219
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first ten Miss Silver mysteries (Patricia Wentworth) are now available from Amazon - 9.99 each.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #220
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Thank you so much for this thread! I never knew what my mother likes (and what I keep an eye out for!) is called "Cozy Mysteries". So much easier to name than "mysteries that aren't especially graphic, with no sex and no swearing, please!"

Will be watching the 99 cent and freebies recommendations with interest -- thanks!!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #221
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The first ten Miss Silver mysteries (Patricia Wentworth) are now available from Amazon - 9.99 each.
Thanks for the heads up, Pooh.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #222
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon UK have 29 of her books available, mostly at £4.49. I hadn't come across her before reading this thread - I'll have to give her a try.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #223
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon UK have 29 of her books available, mostly at £4.49. I hadn't come across her before reading this thread - I'll have to give her a try.
Delightful cozies, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $10 for them. Or even the $7 that your £4.49 works out to. They're short, and I really think the publisher is ripping us off on this one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #224
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Delightful cozies, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $10 for them. Or even the $7 that your £4.49 works out to. They're short, and I really think the publisher is ripping us off on this one.
I think of these things in terms of entertainment value, Charlie. If a book keeps me amused for 3h, that's worth $7 to me. I've never been particular bothered by what books cost - they're a pretty cheap form of entertainment compared to most other things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #225
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I'm roaring through the first Miss Silver - The Grey Mask - it is very nicely formatted and typo free! $10 is a rip-off for back list books from the 1930's & 1940's - but as Harry pointed out - these are very entertaining mysteries that hold up today. Detailed character development and tight plotting. Not to mention Miss Silver and her "copy books" filled with neat writing!