Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
If the ads are too intrusive, the effort of stripping them becomes worthwhile, so let's hope that sanity prevails, and they allow you to get on with reading the book - limiting advertising to the beginning and end (as has long been the case in many books anyway).
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, a couple of my ebooks already have "ads", though they're not really the type that everyone fears. I've had a couple Tor-published ebooks that, at the end of the book, include a few chapters from the next book in a series or a list of books by the author that I may also enjoy. Essentially a "suggested reading" list if you liked the book you just finished. If that's not an ad to sell more books, I don't know what is. But it's not intrusive and it's not unlike the typical pbook experience now.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
There you. Targeted ads for books you might be interested in purchasing since you just got to the end a book make a lot of sense. They also might actually be welcome.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
One of my textbooks from my college accounting class had these...it was a free etextbook (our teacher was very thrifty from her job, and didn't want her students to have to pay $100+ for a book they would only use one semester) but it had ads every few pages. as long as it makes the books cheap (or free) then I don't mind it.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
yep targeted ads for the next book by the same author, or similar genre are fine - that's what we're used to ....

consider

a novel subject .....

detective ..... ads for PI, Police Dept in your city, gun suppliers
erotica ..... ads for condoms, STI clinics, :coughs:
fantasy .... ads for psychiatry

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
My objection to advertising in e-books has to do with what has happened with website advertising. At first, website adevertising was just there; you could choose to look at it or not. Then they started to put the ads in the middle of the text of the site. Inconvenient but one could still just skip over it. Then came the pop-ups, blocking the content, and the video ads that have to be endured before moving on. Same with advertising at theaters. I can understand them pushing the snack bar and showing trailers (I actually appreciate the latter). I don't have a problem with the advertising slide shows and videos that run before a movie's scheduled showtime; those can be watched or ignored as one chooses. But once the house lights go down and it's time to see the movie, forcing me to first watch an ad about products and/or service I have no interest in is unacceptable.

Many videos now have ads that can't be bypassed (like the FBI anti-copy notices I'm so sick and tired of repeatedly seeing). I also feel those are unacceptable, especially when the ads are time sensitive. Why should I have to watch an ad about a product/service that is not available a year or two down the road?

In short, once advertising appears in e-books, I fear it will quickly be abused.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
In short, once advertising appears in e-books, I fear it will quickly be abused.
You may be right. The good thing about ebooks is that we should have the opportunity to do something about it (to reformat them, strip adverts or whatever).
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
For me, at least, it would ensure that I would never again purchase an ebook, and would from then on get every book from the "darknet", where it will be available with all that garbage stripped off days or hours after publication.
And replaced with worse garbage (such as viruses) when the posters bother to modify the books at all.

Of course there are many sites out there. Some are pretty much dominated by posters who scan & OCR pbooks-and those probably do omit the garbage. But a site that posts pirated copies of books already available as ebooks is not one I'd trust-any more than I trust pirate music sites.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #24
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
And replaced with worse garbage (such as viruses) when the posters bother to modify the books at all.
Yes, because the world is FILLED with .txt, .html, and .pdf viruses. (Okay, there has been some .pdf malware, but Adobe has closed loopholes since then.) Malware works only in files that contain executable code-- a virus in an .rtf file (for example) would show up just as a jumble of nonsense characters.

And, sites that publish pirated copies of ebooks (or anything else) are self-policing, and the "legit" ones have some moderation-- if there is malware in something, it is reported in comments by downloaders on the site, and removed by sites that have moderators.

Your post is pure ignorant FUD.

Last edited by ardeegee; 08-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #25
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Could you just imagine product placement things with the digital media? It's all over movies and books, but lets say some teenager downloads a book that has the protagonist using some Eye shadow color, and then after 20,000 downloads or whatever, the text changes to the new color they want advertised or something? LOL
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Could you just imagine product placement things with the digital media? It's all over movies and books, but lets say some teenager downloads a book that has the protagonist using some Eye shadow color, and then after 20,000 downloads or whatever, the text changes to the new color they want advertised or something? LOL
What do you think "Google metrics" does?
I visit a advertisers web site, and the I see my ISP "home page" display ads for that product (bias that way untill I visit another Google partner )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If it is intrusive then many people won't buy the product. If it is non intrusive than it will not affect most people as we are already so used to advertising that we tune most of them out.
Advertisng has been in place in print media for well over 100 years. Remember those comic book ads for junk foods and cereals, sea-babies and become an artist courses? Those were pretty effective actually.
I have very old cookbookss over with advertising for baker's cocoa etc.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If it is intrusive then many people won't buy the product. If it is non intrusive than it will not affect most people as we are already so used to advertising that we tune most of them out.
Yes, but the OP was explicit in the idea that the ads be intrusive:

"I'm thinking that a 10 second ad being put at the start of the book when you open it might be coming in the next few years."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
That would be annoying perhaps but not much worse than the little whirring round arrow on the Sony PRS 600
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
Bateman
I simply am not there.
Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: BCO v.2 black
One word: boycott.

Last edited by Bateman; 08-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote