Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #91
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Full justification on epub. Custom Fonts. Custom Font Size.
Better functionality than Sony's crappy and seemingly abandoned firmware for the PRS-300.
DICTIONARY FOR PRS-300?!?!

This is a miracle in my books. Thank you.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #92
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
@lordvetinari2 yes thank you for your detailed report, especially about the Calibre problem, we are going to address it by next release.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #93
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
So far this is first report about drastically slow menu, everyone before your was saying that the responsiveness of the menu and page flipping is the same if not faster than in the original firmware.
IActually, I complained about the same things, pages back (although in a much less insulting manner, so it may have slipped).

On a completely unrelated note: I follow the firmware with great interest, but until two critical features are supported, it will remain a no-go for me. Could you please comment on their feasibility, if not a time scale? Thank you:

1) (X)HTML renderer with all major features of the format, especially CSS. I would particularly like to see a standard browser core adapted for PRS-505.

2) Support for intra-document links in book formats which can have them, e.g. HTML, EPUB.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #94
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I've upgraded today... the reader not like it at first after the reset I choose 1 and it stucked on that page for a LOT LOT LOT time... the device seemed locked

I've to do the first reset of the device...after this the boot menu appeared again and now it worked

There is no way to improve this? Maybe a little bar (o the bouncing ball as is the way you use to indicate "wait") to indicate activity is a good improvement...

The way to return from the original firmware to EbookApplication is very tricky it seems the only to make re-appear the boot menu is to insert USB cable restart and press "bookmark" key... not to very simple to discover
Well I don't know if this can be improved without changing Sony Firmware it is not simply aware if the existence of EbookApplcation
It will be wonderful if was possibile to add "Start Ebook Application" on the HOME...

Now my impression:

+ Now set visible on PDF works well only a little of border is present...
+ The possibility of choose fonts (now we can start to discuss: what font(s) are better?)

And now the "minus"
- Clock restarts at 0.00 at load of the firmware... the kludge that I found to set -2 hours not works anymore In this way the clock is no more a useful feature...
- Images can not be zoomed in no way... simple remains the same...
- Images in landscape not change orientation
- CBZ converted to EPUB by Calibre are considered "text" epubS and so the zoom menu shows font sizes... if you select not exit anymore but the "balls" appears for a lot of time and then nothing change
- PDF reading after the working set visible is almost perfect (great!) the only problem is in the navigation thing... it seems all PDF pages fills 1 page and 1/2 of the reader and this can be OK the problem is that on the end of the page the text is at time "broken in half" a row (!) and worst again when you go in the next "sub"page a big part of text is repeated at most half of the page! In this way is very difficult to read as you MUST find where you were first! Maybe I'm wrong here but maybe set visible should fill all the page in the screen (?) and not divide it in this ugly way... but maybe in this way the text is small again... well let's say the text must not be never cut and the next subpage will be all filled of text and no repetition and if the remaining text is too little to fill all the page then copy a part of the text of the next page... that is forget the real PDF pages and try to adapt to the reader pages... the impression for the user perspective must be not be so different (as possible) to read an epub/rtf/doc file

Last edited by fanoI; 07-31-2010 at 02:06 PM.
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #95
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I like the way epubs are displayed without left or right margins--makes the most of the screen space.

I also had the problem with Calibre not being able to connect to my Sony PRS505 after installing the ebookapps software. So I deleted the software, which for some reason made the device reset, and then I lost all my collections on the device (the books were still there).

I will definitely give the software another go when the Calibre problem is fixed.

Other things I would like please, if possible:

Option to turn off justification in epubs etc
Working clock.
Battery meter is also seems to be broken--sometimes goes from 2 bars to 3 bars (with no charging!).
Support for formatting in epubs. Does the software do bold/italics?

Thanks
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #96
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Didn't worked on my PRS-505.
Get stuck in firmware selection and need to select Sony firmware to get out of the loop. Files had been installed as documented in the root directory.

Anyone running this firmware on PRS-505 ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #97
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have this installed on my 505, but am unable to make much use of it. The good:

- decent horizontal usage
- ttf font support
- more control of margins, line spacing without touching cs

And the bad:

- crashes heavily. I can get maybe 20-30 pages in an epub, and around 100 in xhtml before it crashes and forces a restart of the reader
- clock doesn't work
- battery drains much faster
- slow to open books

If it didn't crash so often, I'd probably use it instead of the default firmware. As is, I'll probably go back to PRS+ for now.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #98
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There is a new problem on 505 model with these crashes, which does not happen on 300. We are working on the fix. You may try to use previous version 1.6.x.x
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #99
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've had the same problems with freezes under the 1.6.x firmware.

Not a big deal. I'll just use the standard firmware until I get a PB360 in a couple of weeks. I'll keep testing new releases of this though. It definitely has promise, and should be nice to use if the stability issues can be worked out.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #100
Hamid
Hamid began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
I think that the versions should be called alpha (not even beta), too buggy but I think you should stop adding features and try to improve:

- when I choose to go back to to sony firmware why am I asked to choose between ebookapps or sony at the reboot ?
- battery life problem
-clock reset
- impossible to access disk when usb plugged
- 10 minutes to reset device
- menu freezes

I might have forgotten some...

No offence at all, I do put some hope on your software but I'm afraid it's still alpha, not even beta. I've removed it, I can't bear anymore crashes I got since I've installed it. I am going to follow your work, just take your time before a new release.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #101
ebookapps
Enthusiast

We have just released a new version 1.7.2.0 with the fix for PDF/DJVU bug, when some files were showing as blank pages. Let us know if you will observe anu further problems with it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #102
ebookapps
Enthusiast

I uploaded files with text strings to the download page
We will very appreciate your help fixing the translation in the existing languages and creating translations to the languages which we do not support yet. If you want to see our firmware to support your native language, translate and send the file to us at info[at]ebookapplications.com
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #103
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
SkyDream,
I run it on a PRS505, i think you forgot the shutdown step as indicated in the help file.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #104
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Thanks for suggestion but unfortunately i tried the shutdown and still got stuck in the firmware selection loop. When i select the new firmware it displays the scan symbol for a few seconds and immediately comes up with the firmware selection page.

I tried PRS+ and it works.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #105
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
I tried PRS+ and it works.
Lucky you, i've removed the latest version from http://www.ebookapplications.com and tried to re install PRS+ without any luck. It just hangs in Start mode forever.

Tried everything from re installing firmware, re installing PRS+ from the SD, from the memory, to formating the memory .. no luck so far.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony