Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
This morning I asked my husband if I could come to the meetup (we're in the USA). I told him it was in Paris, and he said no. Can you believe that? My 6-year old daughter overheard and she said, "Where is it?" "Paris." "Well then you can go, you're a parent!" I guess in her mind since Paris and Parent sound close together, I can go! She said I could use the car, so I had to show her the world map, and that it's not possible to get there with the car.
hey, if your daughter says you can come, we expect you to be there !! i hope you've got a couple of oars for when you get to the ocean !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Some time ago, you could get an itinerary on Google Maps between two places on different continents. It just took you to the ocean, then said "cross the Atlantic" and took up from a landing point on the other continent. I don't think it works that way now. Shame...
i loved google maps for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Sadly not possible to join you guys in Paris,

Have a Fabulous Day,

LEICESTER, UK next time ??? LOL
meetup in leicester ? sounds great ! what are you waiting for, organise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Parti, comme le homard en folie!

Assurez-vous de publier des photos candides et embarrassant! Beaucoup!

[Disclaimer: Any and all international incidents, declarations of war or fatwa, and resulting mob scenes are the fault of Google translate and its subsidiaries (the monkeys typing out the translations).

"parti, comme le homard en folie!" poohbear i have NO idea what on earth you were trying to say but i DEFINITELY want that on a t-shirt !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hey, if your daughter says you can come, we expect you to be there !! i hope you've got a couple of oars for when you get to the ocean !

i loved google maps for that.

meetup in leicester ? sounds great ! what are you waiting for, organise it !

"parti, comme le homard en folie!" poohbear i have NO idea what on earth you were trying to say but i DEFINITELY want that on a t-shirt !!!
It was Google translate's attempt to render my insane message:
"Party like lobsters in heat!" - wanted to test its lexicon!
You are welcome to wear it, use it as the motto for your apero, or have a contest - who can translate it back into English after the 3rd round of drinks!!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Party like lobsters in heat!" - wanted to test its lexicon!
You are welcome to wear it, use it as the motto for your apero, or have a contest - who can translate it back into English after the 3rd round of drinks!!
paaa hahahahaha !!!! in french that says "gone, like the mad lobster !" it's like surrealist poetry.

translate it back to english after the 3rd round of drinks ? are you kidding ? even stone sober that makes no sense !

aah google translate, life would be so dull without you.

poohbear, you absolutely must read this book. you will love it, trust me.

description :

Quote:
Mark Twain's "The Jumping Frog : In English, then in French, then clawed back into the civilized language once more by patient unremunerated toil" (1865), also known as "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County", "The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" and "Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog."

Containing the original story (in english), a french translation which was published in la Revue des Deux Mondes and which Twain finds to be a travesty of the original text, and Twain's re-translation of the french back into english, word for word (this is where things degenerate). A masterpiece of babelfishien nonsense dating from well before babelfish was even a gleam in the binary code of its creator (1903). Best appreciated if you can read both French and English, but even if you skip the french version it's truly brilliant. If you have ever translated random text using babelfish just because it's funny, don't miss this book.

As good old Samuel Clemens himself put it in his foreword "I cannot speak the French language, but I can translate very well, though not fast, I being self-educated."
also available in .imp format.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Is this close?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Is this close?
for sheer absurdity value that is definitely at the top of the list !!
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Is this close?
Egad - you found it - I knew my brain pulled that phrase out of somewhere - when I was attempting to type something outstandingly odd to translate! Thank you!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
paaa hahahahaha !!!! in french that says "gone, like the mad lobster !" it's like surrealist poetry.

translate it back to english after the 3rd round of drinks ? are you kidding ? even stone sober that makes no sense !

aah google translate, life would be so dull without you.

poohbear, you absolutely must read this book. you will love it, trust me.

description :

also available in .imp format.

I shall acquire it for my weekend reading! Since I can't be there to party with you guys, this - and some beverages - will be a close second to what would happen if I showed up and attempted to converse with you by memorizing Google phrases!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?

So - did this exchange make me look suave?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I shall acquire it for my weekend reading! Since I can't be there to party with you guys, this - and some beverages - will be a close second to what would happen if I showed up and attempted to converse with you by memorizing Google phrases!
i can't help but hope you'll do that someday, as i am sure it would be outstandingly entertaining, what with the mad lobsters and all.

Quote:
"suave" ? is that what they're calling it these days ?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #25
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Well, tasty maybe. Let's just say you have good taste.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, tasty maybe. Let's just say you have good taste.
After reading zelda's translation of my translation - I'll settle for tasty!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Should I be fortunate enough some June to traverse the Atlantic and find my way to the back room behind the bar, I promise to arrive wearing the lobster T-shirt!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Should I be fortunate enough some June to traverse the Atlantic and find my way to the back room behind the bar, I promise to arrive wearing the lobster T-shirt!
we will hold you to that, you know.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
This morning I asked my husband if I could come to the meetup (we're in the USA). I told him it was in Paris, and he said no. Can you believe that?
To be honest: No. If my wife would ask me if she can fly to a meeting in the US then i would say: "Sure honey. Have Fun!".

Well, maybe i would "forget" buying her a return ticket...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Parti, comme le homard en folie!
Quote:
"Party like lobsters in heat!"
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apéro, meet-up, meetup, paris