Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Tybee Island

I've given myself an evening off, so drove from Bluffton, South Carolina to Tybee Island. I wanted to see the ocean. The waves are wild, because another thunderstorm is here. So I've retreated to a seafood restaurant, and I'm having a beer while I watch lightning strike the water.

I feel profoundly alone, but not in a sad way. I sometimes feel like this after a lot of travel, like my body is waiting for my soul to catch up with it. San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah - a tired litany of airport lounges. I will be exhausted, sitting somewhere, and feel myself softly settle back into my bones.

I look around me at the strangers in their touristy beach outfits and fried fish platters, and I love them. Let the wind blow. I'm here, this is now, I'm alive and free.

Tourists and troubadours, road warriors and vagabonds, raise your beers with me. I am your brother.

the indigo afterimage
of the lightning's flash -
her subtle perfume
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Be careful, you are close to crossing the line between poet and philosopher. In your case, that is a good thing - the post was just lovely.

Wishing you safe travels!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I sometimes feel like this after a lot of travel, like my body is waiting for my soul to catch up with it. San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah - a tired litany of airport lounges. I will be exhausted, sitting somewhere, and feel myself softly settle back into my bones.
"No matter how fast the body travels,
"the soul travels at the speed of an Arcturan Mega-Donkey"
..........................................Douglas Adams
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Very profound . . . and lovely.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Whatever it is, beginning of short story, diary entry, prose poem, I want more of it and soon!!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a poetic form called "haibun", which is a mixture of lyrical prose and "linked" haiku. The haiku is inspired by and related to the prose, but not part of the narrative.

So I guess in the above, the overall theme is that of trying to hold onto something, a feeling, to capture something, if only for a moment, that you know will soon fade, whether it is one of those brief moments of peace, of feeling connected with everyone, or the afterimage of a lightning strike, or the way she smelled the last time you were with her.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
It's a poetic form called "haibun", which is a mixture of lyrical prose and "linked" haiku. The haiku is inspired by and related to the prose, but not part of the narrative.

So I guess in the above, the overall theme is that of trying to hold onto something, a feeling, to capture something, if only for a moment, that you know will soon fade, whether it is one of those brief moments of peace, of feeling connected with everyone, or the afterimage of a lightning strike, or the way she smelled the last time you were with her.
I'd never heard of "haibun" before, but now my curiosity is peaked. Must learn more.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

""Piqued", I think you mean.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
""Piqued", I think you mean.
No, it reached a 'peak' as soon as you mentioned the word, and since then I have not thought of it at all Only joshing