Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #91
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, and the software should still work: http://www.breeno.org/eBook/faq2.html
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #92
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3zip
2.) Does the eBookWise device have dictionary lookup capabilities like the RCA did? If you had a specific dictionary ebook loaded onto the device, you could tap any word and get an immediate definition.
Not sure if it works with just any dictionary, but there is one available at the eBookwise site for just this purpose, and it is free! I use it all the time.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #93
p3zip
p3zip began at the beginning.

I greatly appreciate the swift responses, and two bits of terrific news!

As much as I would love an eInk device (after seeing the Sony Reader at a tradeshow and thinking they had an enormous sticker on the screen like you see with radio alarm clocks quite often, faking a display - a remarkable departure from LCD), I would constantly be disappointed at the lack of an instant dictionary lookup function. That sort of thing, to me, is the real reason to eschew paper for an electronic device: enhanced functionality.

An ebook device should do more than just replace paper with a screen and have buttons for pages.

Thank you once again, neko and Jack, for the quick answers.
-p
p3zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #94
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For me, the storing/carrying of dozens of books for less than the weight of a single hardback is a pretty big deal all by itself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #95
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
I have both, and I prefer the REB1100 over the 1150.

Reasons:
- You can't load custom fonts on the 1150
- You can't change the orientation to landscape
- There's no software for it on Linux

On the other hand, the 1150 does have a grayscale screen (vs B&W for 1100), better HTML support and very good battery life :-)
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #96
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
There's no software for it on Linux
I had noticed that the Breeno software was on the Wine apps list, and I had been assuming it would also work for my 1150-- not so? Does the eBW Librarian sw not run under Wine? Or is there a better native Linux solution that only works with the 1100? I'm looking at changing the system I currently use to store my eBw library to Ubuntu, so I need to decide if it will have to be a dual boot system or what. Thanks --
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #97
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Well, it *may* run under Wine -- I never tried it. For the 1100, you can use a combination of rbmake and rebcomm, which works out to be perfect for me. I've also developed some scripts which glue these together -- convert a PDF to images (like PDFRasterFarian), download all my feeds from bloglines, index and convert all html pages in a directory, etc. It's easy when you have command line automation
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #98
Malerne133
Malerne133 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-500
I got an 1150 for SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
That might be a positive statement about the 1150. Nobody wants to sell theirs!!

Craig.
Maybe so, Craig. But I have an 1150 for sale. Bought a Sony eBook Reader (P500) to replace it..
Serious interests reply to utron7@yahoo.com. It's a couple of years old in outstanding condition and has an external flash disk card installed with 23 books still on it and 109MB free of 128 MB. Can swipe card or leave books on. I understand the main battery IS NOT REPLACEABLE and could die in another 3 years.
Malerne133
Malerne133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #99
pmdreamer
pmdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostGrant View Post
I have an eBookWise too.

Here's the skinny for folks on the line:

Personal content - yeah, it's possible. Gutenberg is possible, RB is possible, etc, etc, and if you are enterprising enough, even .LIT files can be converted.

Complex HTML, offline reading - it's possible if you spend an hour or two getting familiar with sitescooper. Sitescooper, I'm finding, is the eBookWise user's best friend. I now, daily, read the Times, BBC News, the Guardian, and a handful of my favorite blogs on my EBW (yes, with hyperlinks).

Weight, readability - the screen isn't as green as it looks in the pics, unless you're reading it under direct sunlight. It *is* a green screen, but the backlight makes it appear black/white. It's not that heavy, either - if you figure out the correct way to hold it, it's nearly weightless.

My opinion: I love this thing. I wouldn't trade it for any Palm/PocketPC - I wouldn't even trade it for a lifetime of free martinis. The size of the screen is wonderful, and the price is right.

I demand alot of this machine and have used alot of the document converters. I'd be willing to answer any questions and help people out making this thing even more usable.
I know the message I read from you is old, but I have a question about converting files. I use the EBW Librarian for most of my conversion of html. I haven't converted other files because I don't know how. I've tried to convert lit and I think rb, but they didn't convert. I have one html file that won't convert in the librarian...any suggestions? The company even sent me the lit & ms files and they didn't convert. I would love to be able to convert all types of files even pdf's, but don't know what software will do that or how to do it once I have the software. I did download ebook publisher and the book came up in the file, but I don't know how to save it to html or imp or anything else. So I hope you can help me. I've had my ereader 1150 since last yr and love it love it love it. Just would like to do more with it. Also...do you know where a good place to purchase 128 sm card from. the ones on ebay for some reason go to high.
Thanks for your help
Mary
pmdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #100
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've never succeeded in converting with the librarian ; i always use eBook Publisher, which is a free download from ETI Tech (there are links around here somewhere... i'd find you one but it's quite late here and i'm feeling a bit lazy). it's not very intuitive and i had to use the manual to make the first several, however it does allow you to make books from html or other sources (word documents can be imported) and gives you many many more options / control than the librarian.

for converting lit and mobi files, nrapallo has written some excellent utilities : look at the sticky about mobi2imp (direct conversion from.prc to .imp, in about a minute, with no effort on your part. brilliant). lit conversion requires one or 2 extra steps but not many ; first break down the lit file using convert lit, then build your imp either from the html output or the mobi conversion. not very hard at all. not sure about pdf, you'd probabaly have to make it into text first or something.

i'm still a relative novice at bookmaking (and haven't done it in a while, so i might be forgetting a few details) but there are some real pros around here so don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck.

EDIT : pff : lit2imp converter exists as well, how could i have forgotten. (see previous mentions 'haven't done any converting in some time' and 'it's late here'... must be getting stupid. time for bed now.)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-09-2008 at 08:57 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #101
pmdreamer
pmdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
converting

I did download ebook publisher, but don't know how to save the book to imp or anything else. I've never used anything but EBW Librarian so this will all be new to me. What do you mean by bookmaking? Ebook publisher wants me to print the book and I want to save it. I could really use some step by steps here I guess.
Thanks for your help.
pmdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh no, we're both talking about the same thing, don't worry

with eBook Publisher, you make an imp by first importing your source files (html, word, whathaveyou), saving and intermediary "container" file, then from that you "build" your book (you can export to imp for the 1150, imp for the 1200, and / or oeb (or is it opf ?? arg, where are nick and dale when you need them...).

it sounds complicated (and it is a *tiny* bit, at first) but the manual* gives you step by step instructions. by the way, the manual is also available here as an .imp book, so you can read along as you go, and use the search function and such. i can't remember whether it is in the ebooks section or the eb1150 section but a search should bring it up. i beleive DaleDe uploaded it, if you want to add that detail to your search to narrow the results.

nick and dalede know millions of times more about this than i do, by the way (i can tell i'm not doing a good job with my explanation ).

if you don't want to worry about ebook publisher for now, definitely try out mobi2imp, which you can get here (check the stickies). that's the tool nick (nrapallo) made. it's brilliant ; completely effortless. if you have any mobi format books around (.prc) definitely use that.

*by manual i mean the help file.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #103
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdreamer View Post
I did download ebook publisher, but don't know how to save the book to imp or anything else. I've never used anything but EBW Librarian so this will all be new to me. What do you mean by bookmaking? Ebook publisher wants me to print the book and I want to save it. I could really use some step by steps here I guess.
Thanks for your help.
Zelda_pinwheel was writing her explanations on what to do way past her bedtime!!! She has given you some great ideas to further explore, like Mobi2IMP and lit2sb (i.e. .lit to .imp).

Allow me to further elaborate since these programs can be found here in the Fictionwise fourm, namely Mobi2IMP 9.4 with new Windows GUI & UTF-8 and Convert .lit directly into .IMP formats. I would also recommend, in the Format Conversion forum, PDFRead 1.8.2 released! for all your .pdf/.djvu converting needs.

The above programs are mainly useful in creating .imp ebooks using previously created ebooks (in a different format like .prc/.pdb/.lit/.pdf). I have a lot of hands-on experience with these programs since most were created/exploited by me.

For creating your own .imp ebooks from .html source, the most powerful software to use is eBook_Publisher. It has a steep learning curve, but what powerful software doesn't.

Ok, now enough with the introductory stuff, let's get you creating .imp ebooks:

- First, eBook Publisher requires that you to create a New Project (.opf file) using the File menu item.

- Next, you should enter the ebook details using Edition Setting... under the Project menu and save it using the name of your resulting .imp ebook. Ensure you uncheck "Require ISBN", enter Title, Author and Bookshelf Category at a minimum as these are required entries.

- Next, you can Add Files... any source .html, just change the file-requester's filetype from *.odf to *.html.

- Next make sure you change the Build Target from the default "OEBFF: All Targets" to "Grayscale Half-VGA" for the eBookwise 1150 .imp format.

- Last, select Build Edition... and determine if the Processing Successful message appears as the last line of the Errors and Messages window. If not, you may need to tweak your source .html and repeat Build Edition... until you are satisfied with the .imp output.

To get the .imp file onto the reader, just follow this.

Obviously, this is just a very cursory step-by-step, but it should point you in the direction. And yes, you will benefit by reading the eBook Publisher 2.1 documentation/manual (User's Guide).

Ask away if you get stuck, either here or in a new thread.

Enjoy!

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-09-2008 at 10:35 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #104
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdreamer View Post
Also...do you know where a good place to purchase 128 sm card from. the ones on ebay for some reason go to high.
Thanks for your help
Mary
No, ebay seems to be the primary source since no new smartmedia cards have been manufactured in over 5 years. Only used/second hand ones can be found, and yes, they do go for a premium, esp the largest size available - 128 MB.

As the 128 MB SM cards are not cheap, you may wish to get two or more smaller cards (16, 32 or 64 MB) if considerably less expensive. However, you may end up swapping the SM cards and this must be done with care or else you may "grid" your unit i.e. wipeout the firmware. Check the IMP wiki for further information about changing SM cards.

EDIT: my bad, while the gridding of the unit i.e. firmware corruption usually/mainly occurs on the REB 1100, since both use SM cards, it is wise to be extra careful with the 1150. I believe the 1150 will handle this situation better, but you never know...

A sigh of relief heard 'round the world!

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-10-2008 at 07:47 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
However, you may end up swapping the SM cards and this must be done with care or else you may "grid" your unit i.e. wipeout the firmware. Check the IMP wiki for further information about changing SM cards.
good god, WHAT ??? i didn't know that... suddenly feeling rather weak in the knees at the thought of the many times i've taken my card in and out of the reader...

(me goes to verify the wiki...)

thanks nick for the further (much more clear and comprehensive...) explanation about making imp books ! we can always count on you... i think you deserve some karma for that.