Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 05-27-2005, 12:48 AM   #31
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
I purchased a few books off of www.ebookwise.com and noticed that it auto-sorts them into odd categories on the unit itself. It placed a science book into "Fiction" ("A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson) and placed a physics book into "General Interest" ("Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos" by Michio Kaku.)

Anyone know how to edit these? Doesn't seem like the unit allows it, and they don't show up in Ebookwise Librarian software in order for me to edit them in there.
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #32
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
On the FW Yahoo group, though, all you'll ever hear is "Use the librarian" (I'm on OS X) or "use the content server" (I don't want to be dependant on a service that could go away at any time).
I also didn't find much information on the Fictionwise Yahoo group. (I think you'll get much more from the REB1200 group.)

There are many librarian projects on the internet that may work with ebookwise devices. One is written in Visual Basic, another one in C (For linux). I've been participating in one Java project (that works on OSX). I'm not a good Java programmer so the coding was being done by HVoyer. So far, we were able to upload content. It rests coding the format conversion part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandokin
my concern is this one: How dependant is the device on the FictionWise web?
Don't worry, you can avoid accessing fictionwise website. You can upload content to your device by means of software that "emulates" fictionwise web. While the Java version gets finished you can get GEBLibrarian. It let's you convert and upload content. Even if you don't buy a license for it you can keep on using it to upload ebooks.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #33
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

One other thing, if anyone is interested:

Content creation tip:
So far the only GOOD ebook content creation software is ebook Publisher. Well, it's not really good, because it doesn't have many features, but, at least, it let's you modify some settings on ebooks and get good-looking e-text.

To start, I recommend converting any ebook to RTF format. Import that file into ebook publisher and then save it to ODF format. Open that new file with a text editor and change its header with this code:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
  "+//ISBN 0-9673008-1-9//DTD OEB 1.0 Document//EN"
  "http://openebook.org/dtds/oeb-1.0/oebdoc1.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled</title>
<style>
body {margin-left:0pt; margin-right:0pt; x-sbp-widow-push:0; x-sbp-orphan-pull:0}
td {vertical-align:top}
table.hdr {width:100%; border:none; margin-left:0pt; margin-right:0pt}
td.hdrl {text-align:left}
td.hdrc {text-align:center}
td.hdrr {text-align:right}
.plain {text-decoration:none; text-align:justify; font-style:none; font-weight:none; font-size:x-small; font-family:serif; color:#000000}
header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head; oeb-column-number:1; margin-bottom:10pt}
footer {display:none; display:oeb-page-foot; oeb-column-number:1; margin-top:10pt}
pbrk {page-break-before:always}
.KWN {page-break-inside:avoid}
fn {font-size:-1}
sp {font-size:-3}
adv2lm {sbp-advance:left}
p {margin-top:0pt; margin-bottom:0pt; text-align:left; text-decoration:none; font-style:none; font-weight:none; font-size:x-small; font-family:serif; color:#000000}
a {text-decoration:none}
</style>
</head>
<body>
You'll get full page usage (no margins) and justified text! Personally, I don't need margins and I think justified text is much cleaner and easier on the eyes.
Hope this tip helps you
Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #34
Nandokin
Nandokin began at the beginning.

Thanks. Not that I've understood half of what you say, but I guess I will once I have the device in my hands.
Nandokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #35
Nandokin

Ok, I finally got it yesterday. I'm very happy with it. However I'm gonna have to learn how to use the conversion software. What program do you use for .lit and pdf files?

Also, I tried your trick, but I don't know what to do with the odf files once you've modified them. The GEB Librarian won't take them.
Advert
Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #36
Ret
Connoisseur

Take a look at this site. It's not specific to the ebookwise, but it's compatible and it will give you some hints. (ebookwise is a ETI-2 device, just as the REB-1100 and the GEB-1150).

I forgot to add, that after making the changes to the ODF file, you have to open it in ebook Publisher and build the corresponding ebook. You'll end up with an IMP file which you'll upload with GEBLibrarian.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #37
Nandokin

Thanks again. It still doesn't work, but I'm not putting much enthusiasm into it, since I'm already reading a lot. I'll have to learn little by little.

Last edited by Nandokin; 06-07-2005 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #38
susall
susall began at the beginning.

>>Anyone know how to edit these? Doesn't seem like the unit allows it, and they don't show up in Ebookwise Librarian software in order for me to edit them in there.

Yes, you can edit these in eBookWise Librarian.
1. Right-click on any title.
2. Choose Change Category from the context menu.
3. Choose New Category from the submenu.

You can enter your new categories there and when you download the book into your eb-1150 device they will show up in the category you specify.
susall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #39
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
Purchased titles don't show up in Librarian.
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #40
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandokin
Ok, I finally got it yesterday. I'm very happy with it. However I'm gonna have to learn how to use the conversion software. What program do you use for .lit and pdf files?

Also, I tried your trick, but I don't know what to do with the odf files once you've modified them. The GEB Librarian won't take them.
Hey Nandokin are you still needing help with this? For .lit files make sure you get a copy of ConvertLIT. The GUI version is pretty easy to use. You point it at your .lit file and it explodes it into lots of files for you in their own folder. From there I pretty much just look to see what the big file is (it'll be html) and drop that into GEBLibrarian. Converts no problem. You can download it here.

This also works for the encrypted .lit files you download from stores like Fictionwise. It's an extra step as it has to get some sort of key from your activated copy of Reader. This is explained in one of the readme files. This is very handy as the eBookwise can't read any other encrypted formats other than from the ebookwise site I believe.

As for PDF I can't be much help. Do a thread search on convert PDF and you'll find lots of info here. Most of the programs I've seen for converting PDFs are terrible. Even Acrobat Pro 7 which I have makes a mess of most of them when exporting to say RTF. It's too bad too because when it comes to printing PDF is great but not for reading on ebook devices in my opinion.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #41
Nandokin

Thanks Gatton. I'm using ABCLit. I don't have that many lit files anyway.

And for those who might be interested, Solid PDF Converter is an excellent way to convert to word files. Every other program I've seen for this is pure crap.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:40 AM   #42
Nandokin

Ok, I'm already pretty comfortable with the ebook software. Now, onto the next level, anybody knows how can I read websites on the ebookwise? I have no idea how to use SiteScooper or what I need.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #43
Ret
Connoisseur

Try wget. It's a linux command line tool for downloading files or entire site contents. There's also a Windows version. It's pretty simple and very powerfull.
http://wget.techknight.com/usage.php
http://wget.sunsite.dk/

After having the HTML files on your disk, you can convert them using ebookwise librarian.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #44
Ret
Connoisseur

Hey! Great news!!
eBookwise-1150 Dictionary Support
Hope they release translation dictionaries as well! (BTW, does any1 here know how to build dictionary files?)
Old 07-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #45
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret
Hey! Great news!!
eBookwise-1150 Dictionary Support
Hope they release translation dictionaries as well! (BTW, does any1 here know how to build dictionary files?)
My guess is that it uses a proprietary format. Did you have a look at the Random House Webster's Concise Dictionary files?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote