Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #556
Old Techie
Old Techie began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Oops, thought I had.
Thanks.
Old Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #557
moonster
moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi!

Is there any way to disable to firmware auto update?
I'd like to use the Wifi to transfer books onto my Kindle, but i do not need the updates.
Now i have an 5.3.3 firmware and pw is always in Flight mode.
Thx
moonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #558
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonster View Post
Hi!

Is there any way to disable to firmware auto update?
I'd like to use the Wifi to transfer books onto my Kindle, but i do not need the updates.
Now i have an 5.3.3 firmware and pw is always in Flight mode.
Thx
Several.
Check the KUAL thread for:
KUAL.firewall
and
KUAL.BackdoorLock
add-in buttons for the KUAL launcher.

Other methods to be found by searching this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #559
naskrina
naskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite with SO
Rescue Packs (diags) installation failed

Hi!
I have Paperwhite with Frimware 5.3.6, so before jailbreaking I downgraded it to 5.3.1, and then used the kpw_jb.zip to jailbreak.
During jailbreak the Rescue Packs (diags) failed to install, then I got a message
that jailbreak had failed, and finally - "Jailbreak succeeded =)"
Log sais following:
Installing rescue packs (main) ...
OK
Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
FAILED
Backed up diags passwords to /etc/shadow.before_rescue_pack on diags partition
Unable to mount diags partition
OK
CLEANING UP
JAILBREAK FAILED
and then please check log and jailbreak succeeded.
Question: what could have gone wrong? what's the diags part responsible for?
And finally, what should I do?
naskrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #560
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The jailbreak executable accidentally ran twice concurrently, where the first instance worked correctly, and the second didn't. This rarely happens, but it does happen. If you check the log, you will see that everything got logged twice, but possibly with different outcome. That's "normal", because the second executable couldn't e.g. access the diags partition while the first one was writing to it.

Don't worry about it - the jailbreak succeeded.

PS: moved post into the jailbreak thread.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #561
naskrina
naskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud of

Thanks! How do I check it then?

Yeah, log really did write everything twice. How did you recognize it? Magician?
I'm glad everything went well, thanks for the jailbreak!
Still, how do I check that the rescue pack installed right? I don't really want to break my Kindle, but checking would be just perfect =))
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #562
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskrina View Post
Yeah, log really did write everything twice. How did you recognize it? Magician?
Sure!

Seriously... because it happened before, and because the excerpts from your logfile were just showing the same pattern.

Quote:
I'm glad everything went well, thanks for the jailbreak!
Still, how do I check that the rescue pack installed right? I don't really want to break my Kindle, but checking would be just perfect =))
Well, if you know how to get out of diags mode again, you can simply create an ENABLE_DIAGS file and reboot.

Other than that - I can assure you that it worked. But to be extra sure, just run the jailbreak installer again. The issue that you experienced is rare, so my guess is that it will work just fine this time.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #563
naskrina

I don't know how to get out of diags mode, but I'd like to try it!
Really, reinstalling the jailbreak is not as much fun as trying diags mode - I've never seen it before
Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #564
naskrina

Found a way to exit diags mode on the very first page =)
Thanks again, I'll go play with diags mode!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #565
bennio0993
bennio0993 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle white
I am hoping that since you seem to have such a great knowledge base that you can help me.
I cannot email any of my ebooks from calibre to my kindle white. I could at first but now it is not working.
My other problem is that when I try to transfer using the device tab it will only allow me to have one transferred book. If I add another one it takes away the first one.
Please help me
bennio0993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #566
ixtab
(offline)

@bennio0993: Well thank you for the kind words... but that question is totally off-topic in this thread, and even in this forum. And I have absolutely no idea.

You seem to be having an issue with calibre. Please ask your question in a relevant forum -- in this case, most probably the calibre forum. Make sure to ask your question in a relevant thread, or if you don't find one, open a new thread.

It's much more likely that you get helpful responses if you ask in the right place.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #567
zeroxia
zeroxia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi does this JailBreak work with all region-variant Kindle PaperWhite? I'm in China with a Kindle PaperWhite bought from amazon.cn, the device upgrades to 5.3.6 automatically after I register it (I forgot to enter airplane mode...)

So I'm planning to get the 5.3.5 firmware and downgrade the device, then apply the JailBreak patch. Are the files (both the 5.3.5 firmware and the kpw_jb.zip file in the OP) compatible with my China version Kindle PaperWhite?

And could you post the checksum of the file update_kindle_5.3.5.bin? I downloaded it and the MD5 sum is:
b1b4b304fa0751c9b00f826a10af2e6f update_kindle_5.3.5.bin

Thanks.
zeroxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #568
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroxia View Post
Hi does this JailBreak work with all region-variant Kindle PaperWhite? I'm in China with a Kindle PaperWhite bought from amazon.cn, the device upgrades to 5.3.6 automatically after I register it (I forgot to enter airplane mode...)
Short answer: Yes, if 'update kindle' button is not grayed out

Longer answer:
This update_*_.bin file is "Model Locked" it will not install on a model that it is not intended to install on.

Post the first four characters of your device's serial number and the author of this package can tell you if it is included.

Quote:
So I'm planning to get the 5.3.5 firmware and downgrade the device, then apply the JailBreak patch. Are the files (both the 5.3.5 firmware and the kpw_jb.zip file in the OP) compatible with my China version Kindle PaperWhite?
The 5.3.5 firmware is from Amazon.
Unless they screwed up, the answer is: yes.

The messages of the jailbreak (written here) are probably English only.
But if the conditions of the above answer are met, the answer is: yes.
Quote:
And could you post the checksum of the file update_kindle_5.3.5.bin? I downloaded it and the MD5 sum is:
b1b4b304fa0751c9b00f826a10af2e6f update_kindle_5.3.5.bin

Thanks.
That would be up to the author.

But continue even if you don't have the checksum to compare with that of the downloaded file.
These update_*_.bin files are internally checksummed and cryptographically signed.

The cryptographic signature on the package will fail if a single bit is disturbed in the download process and the installer will exit with an error message immediately.

Support for the above is the reason why you have to do the device jailbreak first before using any of our packages, that installs our certificate into the pool along with the existing Amazon certificates.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #569
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Actually, the 'full' (recoveryv2) updates for the PW are locked to the platform ID, and those for the Touch are locked to the platform+board ID, so unless the device is seriously messed up, there's little chance it wouldn't run (for a model mismatch reason, at least ).

@zeroxia: As knc1 said, we'd need the first four letters of your S/N to make sure *our* stuff is okay, but at least for the offical updates, there shouldn't be any issue .

FWIW, the checksum does match, but knc1 is right, it would have aborted if it was corrupted anyway .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #570
ixtab
(offline)

... and, FWIW, here's the .htaccess file for the Kindle updates on ixtab.tk:

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)Update_kindle_5.1.0.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_5.1.0.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)Update_kindle_5.1.2.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_5.1.2.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.0.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.0.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.1.bin$ http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/update_kindle_5.3.1.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)Update_kindle_5.3.2.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_5.3.2.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)Update_kindle_5.3.2.1.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_5.3.2.1.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.3.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.3.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.4.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.4.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.5.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.5.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.6.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.6.bin [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^(.*)update_kindle_5.3.7.bin$ http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.7.bin [L,R=301]

Translation: You are actually downloading the file from Amazon, not from my server. The downloads would generate way too much traffic if I served them directly. (But yes, the files are mirrored there. Just in case some of the "official" download locations go down in the future).