Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Dotpoint & Bulleted List problem

I'm having trouble with my dotpoint/bulleted list style.

In my CSS, all fonts are set to Georgia but when viewing on an iPad, you can of course change the font to whatever you want. But for some reason, the dotpoint style is staying as Georgia no matter what font I choose within the eReader. This creates an unslightly clash of fonts.

Here's my CSS code:

li.dotpoint {
font-family : Georgia, serif;
font-weight : normal;
font-style : normal;
font-size : 0.83em;
text-decoration : none;
font-variant : normal;
line-height : 1.2;
text-align : left;
color : #000000;
margin-right : 32px;
margin-top : 8px;
margin-bottom : 8px;
}

And an example of the list in a chapter:

<ul class="List-1">
<li class="dotpoint">entry one.</li>
<li class="dotpoint">entry two</li>
</ul>

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any tips?
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If you set your font in your body tag, you do not need to repeat it in the style for this element. Only put things in your stylesheet that change. From your stylesheet I see that you probably use InDesign. Be aware that you probably can trim your stylesheet back to 20-30% of the size.
Anyway, it could be another iBooks quirk. It is hard to test on other readers though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Thanks for the reply Toxaris. I also tried removing the font-family line from the li.dotpoint style, but to no avail. It could be an iBooks quirk, but hopefully there is a fix.

And you're right, I'm using IDCS5.5. I understand I can trim the CSS but haven't started doing that yet. Still getting familiar with what all the code means, and what I can cut.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Remember inheritence. A tag will inherit most settings of its parents (like font-family). So, if an attribute needs changing, change it at the highest possible level. That would prevent to do it in child relations that are in use.

It sounds more complicated than it really is though. Also remember that you can combine styles (e.g. <p class="letter centered">). In that case all the styles will be applied. Usually in the sequence of calling, but I remember a discussion on the board earlier that some applications or readers use the order in the stylesheet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet lists, dotpoint, font epub