Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Improve battery life: rooted nook color

I found this today and applied it. It is supposed to significantly improve battery life on a rooted nook color by disabling the cell phone standby service from running (not sure why B&N left it on since this isn't a phone). I haven't had any ill effects since applying it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888216
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I was going to try it until I saw this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=36

I disabled automatic updates. It seems like renaming the two files for the batter life thing causes problems if you've done this.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
You know the old saying, "Hey y'all, watch this!" I can report that I'm able to select 'Library' and open books with no issues. But, I haven't tried to use 'Shop', didn't disable OTA Updates, nor did I run the cellphone script. I used Root Explorer and renamed Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk manually.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
emt
Nameless Being

Battery Life

I actually deleted the two files (using Root Explorer) when I first rooted. Absolutely no ill effects over a period of several weeks and, I believe, a lower battery usage.

One problem you might see is that any of the battery reporting apps don't understand that there is no cell activity - for example "Android System Information" continues to report a "cell phone idle" statistic even though it's meaningless. I did notice that before I deleted the two apps, this statistic used to be about 10% - now it's running about 4%
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone disabled automatic updates? I'm not willing to give that up.

If someone has disabled automatic updates and renamed the two files phone files with no ill effects I'll give it more consideration.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Has anyone disabled automatic updates? I'm not willing to give that up.

If someone has disabled automatic updates and renamed the two files phone files with no ill effects I'll give it more consideration.
I have automatic updates disabled. I tried the B&N store right after I did this and I was able to download and read a free book. I also was able to read from my library with no problems. It seems like the person who had the problem used a bad script to disable automatic updates from what I read.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Great! I'll give it a whirl (after I backup again).
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
emt
Nameless Being

Use Root Explorer To...

Rename the Otacerts.zip to Otacerts.zip.old and you are good to go - no script needed! And no update either.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Rename the Otacerts.zip to Otacerts.zip.old and you are good to go - no script needed! And no update either.
That's been done weeks ago. Well, it seems like weeks ago.

Last edited by SCION; 12-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
so all I have to do is rename three files?
Octacerts.zip, Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I have my rooted NC and I haven;t turned off any automatic updates. However, I haven't noticed anything changing in my NC over the past couple of weeks. I am assuming the update came through.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Actually several reports from XDA said that despite making such changes, the 1.0.1 update took place anyway. That is not good. Guess I will make the change anyway

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=876591&page=9
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Actually several reports from XDA said that despite making such changes, the 1.0.1 update took place anyway. That is not good. Guess I will make the change anyway

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=876591&page=9
I haven't received the update yet and I made the change. Also, I "Shop" on a regular basis. Nothing has been triggered.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I haven't received the update yet and I made the change. Also, I "Shop" on a regular basis. Nothing has been triggered.
Ditto, no update yet.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Maybe you guys can post up some screenshots of your energy usage for comparison. If you're rooted, go to:

App Drawer -> NookColor Tools -> All Settings -> Battery Use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nook Color Battery Usage.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	63682  
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote