Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #46
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
actully distortion is real possibility. I exported a about 150 books to my friend who has a Kindle he converted from ePub to Mobi and at leat 30 books were ruined. A few books were just one paragraph throughout the entire book. Other's would have random paragraph breaks in mid sentence and in some cases mid word.

So yeah converting does not always mean it's going to come out nice.

I've converted countless books from epub to mobi with calibre, not one has come out 'ruined'

PDF, on the other hand, sucks banana's in conversion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #47
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh.......and if I had epub, these same books would be available without geo restrictions?
this is the 100000000000 time you ask the same question and i have replied YEAH.
Don't ask me to repeat the explanation please
I m drinking my first Brahma beer now
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #48
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
this is the 100000000000 time you ask the same question and i have replied YEAH.
Don't ask me to repeat the explanation please
I m drinking my first Brahma beer now
Liar. Geo restrictions are just that.........geo restrictions.

No matter where you are in the world, you cannot download, legally, any book that is geo restricted, in that area, regardless of format.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #49
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
The first Guideline of MobileRead is to Discuss Things Politely. Please refer to the Guidelines, and return to politely discussing this topic.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #50
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Liar. Geo restrictions are just that.........geo restrictions.

No matter where you are in the world, you cannot download, legally, any book that is geo restricted, in that area, regardless of format.
Why didn't you read little bit about Geo restriction as I asked you to yesterday?
A Book can be restricted in a Canada because the Publisher is American but in the same time this book may not be restricted if it is sold by a Canadian publisher.
Geo don't restrict literally the book itself but its right only! and one book can have several rights.
That's why a lot of amazon titles are restricted to Canada while they are available in Kobostore .
If your relay only on Kindle here in Canada you will not be able to read ePub formats.

PS: I know your attacking tactics lol don't grab some typo minor errors to bash me
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #51
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

OH, I"m so sorry. Let me rephrase that.

Dear Erictoma. I'm afraid you are misinformed of the facts.

You cannot download any epub book anywhere in the world.

There are such things as geographical restrictions, and regardless of where you are, this means that if the book is mobi or epub, or from mars, you cannot download it, legally, if it is geo restricted.

Better???
Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #52
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
OH, I"m so sorry. Let me rephrase that.

Dear Erictoma. I'm afraid you are misinformed of the facts.

You cannot download any epub book anywhere in the world.

There are such things as geographical restrictions, and regardless of where you are, this means that if the book is mobi or epub, or from mars, you cannot download it, legally, if it is geo restricted.

Better???
Do you know what means book right or not ??
Old 12-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #53
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Do you know what means book right or not ??
you know what?

Never mind.

It suddenly occurred to me the futility of trying to carry on a conversation with you.

Buh-Bye!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #54
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I got exhausted from just following the banter between you two! Thanks desertgrandma.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
you know what?

Never mind.

It suddenly occurred to me the futility of trying to carry on a conversation with you.

Buh-Bye!

Just ignore him! He will get tired, lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #56
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
That's why a lot of amazon titles are restricted to Canada while they are available in Kobostore .
Actually they are not. A book that can be bought at B&N, but is only available in the US, will also not be available at Kobo. That is my experience anyway. I have gone back and forth for quite a few. None were available at kobo.

Anyway, who cares? It's not really about that anyway. It is about what people want. Some people like me prefer to have epub because they give people more options when it comes to where we get book. Lots of people like the Kindle because Amazon is a sold, reputable company and I think Amazon gives people a sense of security. They have basically the largest ebook library in the US (which lets face it, is where the largest percentage of Kindle owners reside) and as much or more of a variety of ebooks.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #57
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Actually they are not. A book that can be bought at B&N, but is only available in the US, will also not be available at Kobo. That is my experience anyway. I have gone back and forth for quite a few. None were available at kobo.
Did I mention B&N ?? where?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Just ignore him! He will get tired, lol ...
Sadly, no he won't.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #59
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Did I mention B&N ?? where?
You said there are lots of titles that aren't available for Canadians at Amazon but they can buy those at Kobo. If Canadians can't buy it at B&N.com they can't buy it at Amazon.com or kobo.com. It is all the same thing. There are places to buy Canadian publishers ebooks though, but just not Kobo. I don't want somebody to go into a particular reader thinking they can buy books somewhere they can't because they see that post.

If you think about it, please try to only give out information you know you can back up. Give your opinion, but don't try to throw things off as fact. Also, you don't need to take everything so personal and get defensive. And remember, everybody else is entitled to give information and their own opinions as well. I am not sure if you realize it or not, but you seem to challenge every person that recommends a Kindle in tons of threads since you joined. I am not even a Kindle fan and I notice this. I am not trying to offend you, I just want to let you know how some of your posts are coming off to others.

Last edited by Care; 12-12-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #60
wolw
-= Balsa flies better =-
wolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
This is my first post so, Hi everyone

Maybe I can help as I'm almost in your situation. I've been thinking about purchasing an e-book reader on and off for years, what stopped me from buying was price and in Kindles case not being able to buy books from Swedish authors (I'm Swedish, but prefer reading in the authors language).
When we started to sell Ipad's at work the thought of getting an e-book reader emerged again. After comparing the available ones on the market my choice fell on Kindle 3, light, pearl e-ink and a very reasonable price.
I spent quite some time reading up on how to convert from DRM Epub to MOBI only realising that the largest e-book store uses watermark EPUB (as I understand you only need Calibre to convert it to MOBI, no DRM removal possible/needed). I also realised that the Swedish book stores price the e-books close to the hard cover price (Unlike Amazon's price that's close to the paperback).
Amazon carries my favourite authors, price is good, the Kindle is cheap so it wasn't a hard choice for me.
On the rare occasion I find a good Swedish book I'll just borrow it from the library (Let Calibre + plugin remove Epub DRM).

Now I just want to get my hands on it, my brother in-law in the UK will bring it for Christmas I bought it from Amazon UK, £109 free shipping to UK. You lads/lassies living in the US are lucky, if I order from Amazon to Sweden I have to go through Amazon US which will add 25% tax + shipping + Swedish customs handling fee.

@Care, I don't know about B/N. But regarding Amazon as I've been reading up on the Kindle, I can inform you that the only thing you need to do to be able to shop from the US is to change your location to US (US address), If you move to UK you change to a UK address and can shop from there.

Peter

Last edited by wolw; 12-13-2010 at 04:32 AM.
wolw is offline   Reply With Quote