Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Officially launches its MIDIA InkPhone at CeBit

Available first through Onyx's Polish distributor

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Ux3LToVngX4

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/10/o...hone-hands-on/

Makes me wish I was still a US Distributor for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkPhone-lead.jpg
Views:	3940
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	120055  

Last edited by HarryT; 03-10-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
4.3" is a tad too small for me. 5" and good PDF support and I would get one.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Thanks for the alert.

Just stumbled across a german press release dating from Friday 7th concerning the device and started to have a look around for any news.

@Dunlin's Books: Been in a hurry?

(Naturally he meant to type "Onyx".)

Last edited by beachwanderer; 03-10-2014 at 10:52 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Engadget article gives possible availability and pricing:

"should arrive on store shelves in Germany and Poland at some point in April. It'll be priced at around €140 ($195) and will also be available via Amazon if you're based elsewhere in the world"

£150 for a 4.3" phone/ereader sounds pretty good. I would have preferred to see it with Android 3.0 or later rather than 2.3.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
£150 for a 4.3" phone/ereader sounds pretty good. I would have preferred to see it with Android 3.0 or later rather than 2.3.
(116 GBP rather than 150?, or did the GBP drop against the EUR that much lately?)

But as this is not some fancy multimedia-box anyway this may be sufficient.

It may bring back some advantages of the time of the late PDA-class of devices.
And that would be very welcome indeed.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 03-10-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've corrected the error in the thread title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The Engadget article gives possible availability and pricing:

"should arrive on store shelves in Germany and Poland at some point in April. It'll be priced at around €140 ($195) and will also be available via Amazon if you're based elsewhere in the world"

Thanks for pointing out the price. I missed that somehow.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
(116 GBP rather than 150?, or did the GBP drop against the EUR that much lately?)
I suspect that the price quoted doesn't include VAT (20% in the UK). And then there's currency exchange fees and shipping.

If it turns out to be possible to get the phone in the UK for less than £150 all-in, I'll be very surprised.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
4GB of storage and Android 2.3 are show-stoppers for me, unfortunately.

Plus, I could get a Moto G for that much.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Is it just me or do you also notice some annoying glare? They polished the screen or something and now it's like a mirror...

But a smartphone, for me, it must have colour. And I won't use a smartphone just for reading, send some messages and make/receive calls. That's what my conventional cell phone does... This may be android, but a lot of applications won't work or will run slow.
I'll wait (maybe forever) until they use a reflective colour technology, improve CPU and storage, include a camera (but I could pass this one) and update the OS version.

Last edited by FantoM; 03-10-2014 at 09:15 PM.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've corrected the error in the thread title.
Thanks Harry
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #12
beachwanderer
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantoM View Post
But a smartphone, for me, it must have colour. And I won't use a smartphone just for reading, send some messages and make/receive calls. That's what my conventional cell phone does... This may be android, but a lot of applications won't work or will run slow. - I'll wait (maybe forever) until they use a reflective colour technology, improve CPU and storage, include a camera (but I could pass this one) and update the OS version.
Special devices for special needs ...

The alternative would be the YotaPhone Version 2 in autumn then.

As for the reflective colour technology: Yes. We will have to wait for anyone adopting that for their smartphone, phablet or tablet.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I suspect that the price quoted doesn't include VAT (20% in the UK).
I think the price is under 150Eur including VAT.
Polish site lists price as 600 Zloty, which is about 142Eur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantoM View Post
Is it just me or do you also notice some annoying glare? They polished the screen or something and now it's like a mirror...
This is Gorilla glass.
Look at the manufacturer site.
https://onyx-boox.com/coming-soon-e-...nk-smartphone/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Special devices for special needs ...

The alternative would be the YotaPhone Version 2 in autumn then.
Yes, I'm waiting for it
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
Digit71
Digit71 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Inkphone E43 Video

Spotted this video of the Onyx Inkphone. What do you think? Some aspects of the interface look faster than others. The Italian Onyx Boox Facebook page puts the launch at the end of summer.
Digit71 is offline   Reply With Quote