Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Top ways to stream/download tv and movies?

I'm doing research on ways in which people can stream or download high quality entertainment content (like tv shows and movies)...authorized and "unauthorized". The idea is that most households could one day stop watching tv and movies through their cable tv or satellite dish....instead just watching content through their broadband connection. To look at this trend, I want to know what people can do currently and how much they have to pay to get it.

Here is my list so far.

Bit Torrent
Netflix & Blockbuster
Hulu
iTunes
Amazon
content provider websites
Youtube
Vudu
CinemaNow
SlashControl
Stagevu
Roku
Internet@TV by Samsung

Last edited by markbot; 08-25-2010 at 10:54 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Authorized AND unauthorized?

Usenet.
IRC.
Emule.

Then there are various sites that act as "bulletin boards" linking to files on direct download services such as (going by the search list at filestube) Rapidshare, Megaupload, Hotfile, Megashares, Extabit, FileServe, Mediafire, Depositfiles, Netload, Easy-share, Filefactory, Badongo, 4shared, Uploaded, Przeklej, Dump, Uploading, Storage, FileSonic, Furk, Letitbit, 4FastFile, UploadBox, GoldFile, and GigaSize.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Usenet and Bittorrent.
Hulu is region locked as with most legal methods, to people out of the US.

IPTv, requires high speed broadband and an unlimited download limit, again, out side the US is a problem
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As far as the actual process of streaming it goes, I have all my media stored on a Buffalo NAS server, and I stream it to my TV using a Netgear set-top box, over my gigabit wired network (I tried wireless streaming, but it can't cope with hi-def video).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As far as the actual process of streaming it goes, I have all my media stored on a Buffalo NAS server, and I stream it to my TV using a Netgear set-top box, over my gigabit wired network (I tried wireless streaming, but it can't cope with hi-def video).
I'm using Windows Media Center and store everything on a 2TB portable drive
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote