Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Phylis Sophical
Phylis Sophical began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Newbie: how to edit H1 Header

Doing my first eBook using Sigil / LibreOffice / Calibre.
Is it possible to edit the H1 / H2 Headers from within Sigil? Or do I have to do that from within my text document?
Being a newbie to this, I'm totally lost when it comes to style sheets/HTML/CSS and the like. So if I could simply edit the Font & size from within Sigil, that would be awesome.
Phylis Sophical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylis Sophical View Post
Doing my first eBook using Sigil / LibreOffice / Calibre.
Is it possible to edit the H1 / H2 Headers from within Sigil? Or do I have to do that from within my text document?
Being a newbie to this, I'm totally lost when it comes to style sheets/HTML/CSS and the like. So if I could simply edit the Font & size from within Sigil, that would be awesome.
The TOC Generator allows Edits (affects the source. H tags being the usual reason for existing. (you should normally avoid using H tags just for style) )

You can edit EVERY LAST CHARACTER in code view if you so desire
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sure you can. It depends on how you get your source ePUB (I am afraid a Calibre conversion of a LibreOffice document). If you already have a stylesheet, you should check in the stylesheet if there is an h1 selector. If there is, you can adapt this. If not, you need to add something like:
Code:
h1 {font-size: 1.5em;}
to the stylesheet.
Changing font is more difficult and can give some headaches. It would be better if you have some more experience in HTML/CSS before going there.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit can mean change Style

By all means, do it with the stylesheet, even create and assign a new class="stuf" if that is what is needed .
Old 10-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Phylis Sophical

Thanks for all your reply's. I'll work my way through them. btw, I only use Calibre to view the finished book, no editing. Also, I've realized any of the H1, H2 etc. can be used for the TOC. and this gives me more simple options to change the look.
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
Thanks for all your reply's. I'll work my way through them. btw, I only use Calibre to view the finished book, no editing. Also, I've realized any of the H1, H2 etc. can be used for the TOC. and this gives me more simple options to change the look.
not sure if this will work here. but here goes

<head>
<link href="../Styles/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<title></title>
</head>

every html file has a head and a body
stuff in the body between tags is displayed, the header does different things this head is very simple it has a title section which is empty (the book title should go there) and says to use a style sheet.
the Styles link is more interesting this header says to use a style sheet in Styles folder called styles.css you can create it by right clicking the styles folder in the left panel of sigil and naming it as you want. if you called it fred.css then the link in the header would read ,./Styles/fred.css

You can write styles within the html code but its not a good idea because if you want to change how things look you are forced to go through everything looking for where you styled something and changing the values, horrible tedious and error prone.

here is a little bit of style sheet

blockquote { margin: 0em 0em 0em 1.25em }
p { margin: 0em }
.bold { font-weight: bold }
.italic { font-style: italic }

if you look at p for example it sets the margin for a paragraph to 0em if i changed that to 1 em then every paragraph would have a margin of 1em
you can set up lots of attributes in a stylesheet for an element

you can call a class anything you like, how about joe
.joe{
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
}

the layout is a little different but its an attribute followed by a colon followed by a value followed by a semicolon all the attributes are enclosed by { and }

now i can have a paragragh of class="joe" and it will be both bold and italic

I don't know if this editor will eat the html and style stuff that I wrote here but a geat example of styling different elements is the three men in a boat epub on this site.

epub is xml and its pretty much html just like a web page and libreoffice can save a doc as html too so you can import it into an epub very easily. if you google "introduction to html and css" you should find lots of examples of how you can style html documents
and an epub is just like a zipped up set of webpages.

I hope this wasn't too confusing and nothing got ate
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Phylis Sophical

Thanks, Blackest. I think I am slowly starting to get this. By creating a style sheet in Sigil, I can insert that where I want to change something throughout the epub, rather than editing the line in each place I want the change. Am I close?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

blackest
Sigil will do the heavy lifting for you, there is little reason to do manual edits outside the body

create/import your stylesheet

select the target (x)HTML files in the list: Right-click: Link stylesheets: tick your choice(s)

Note this step will ALSO remove any previous Linked sheet references ( the actual sheet is not removed). If a file needs a different combination of sheets: select JUST those and set the links
Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Thanks, Blackest. I think I am slowly starting to get this. By creating a style sheet in Sigil, I can insert that where I want to change something throughout the epub, rather than editing the line in each place I want the change. Am I close?
That is the giant advantage of a stylesheet. You create your styles how you want them to be once in the stylesheet, then call the name of the style wherever you want it in the text. Find you hate it, change it once in the stylesheet and it is fixed everywhere in the document.

You can even add things to existing tags like paragraph to make sure they all indent or don't indent, for instance. This takes a little thought if you have some you don't want and you do. It is a pain to have to put a different class in every paragraph to defeat something you really only wanted in a few.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
I'd say pretty much spot on. xml and css seperate the content from the style and it can be as simple or complex as you like really. XML and HTML are very similar, so much so you can copy a html page on the web into a xml page part of an epub very easily.

you can style locally or via a series of, or a single style sheet. Style sheets were made to support different mediums and devices. You could produce a page with a style sheet for a laptop screen or a different one for a mobile phone or maybe to print a page.

http://www.csszengarden.com/216/ and http://www.csszengarden.com/218/ are the same pages but with different css styling there is a whole bunch of different css styles on that site. while I wouldn't suggest using anything as complicated as those examples for an ebook it really does show off some of the power of css.

The best thing because you use css for similar elements it ensures the book has a consistant style. Layout wise anyway
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The Zen Garden is perfect example of the power of a stylesheet

It does not hurt to explore what can be done (those folk are Wizards), but don't take the plunge trying to understand all that was done, but realize this is why you want to start using stylesheets ASAP.

At a later time, you can revisit your book and say: "My chapter numbering is boooor-ing , lets jazz it up some.
A few changes to the CSS and we have a whole new look for the Chapter Number AND you did not touch the actual page of content.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Calibre, though a useful librarian (and lately editor) is an irritating eBook READER.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #13
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have the following in my stylesheet.css file, but I can't see that it makes any difference in the heading. Have I done something wrong?

Quote:
html, body {margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; text-align: justify; font-family: serif;}
@page {margin: 5pt;}
p {
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 15;
font-size: 0.9em;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0em;
h1 {font-size: 1.5em}
h2 {font-size: 1em}

}
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I have the following in my stylesheet.css file, but I can't see that it makes any difference in the heading. Have I done something wrong?
Yes...

You have placed the code for the headers inside the paragraph selector.
Code:
html, body {margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; text-align: justify; font-family: serif;}
@page {margin: 5pt;}
p {
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 15;
font-size: 0.9em;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0em;
}
h1 {font-size: 1.5em}
h2 {font-size: 1em}
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #15
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you so much, that did the trick.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote