Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reading large pdfs

Hi all,

I've noticed a problem with reading large PDF files (>1000 Sony Reader pages). I created the PDFs with htmldoc using the following commandline

htmldoc --overflow --webpage myfile.html --size 90x117mm --left 2mm --right 1mm --top 1mm --bottom 1mm -t pdf13 --fontsize 10 --no-embed --textfont Sans --footer " " --header "t c " --compression=1 --gray --headfootfont Sans-Bold --linkstyle underline --headfootsize 8 -f myfile.pdf

As I read through the PDF page turning becomes slower and slower, at the start its ~1s by page 900 its ~7s After page 1000 the text stops displaying entirely (just a blank screen with the toolbar at the bottom). The pdf file displays fine in Acrobat Reader on my desktop. This has happened with two separate PDF files generated in this way.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there something wrong with the htmldoc commandline I use?

Thanks,

Kovid.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
kukafei
kukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600, Kindle DX
I noticed this too with pdf files over 1000 pages. Really slow page turns and no text starting on page 1000. They do the same thing in the Connect Reader. This happened with files I converted from txt files.
kukafei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2006, 02:14 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What program did you use to convert the txt file? I've switched to generating bbeb from html using the librie toolbar. 1000+ page bbebs work fine.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Not sure what the problem is - try the attached file - it has about 2000 pages and the first opens the same speed as the last.

It's either something wrong with certain hardware versions (although they should all be the same) or more likely the software used to create the pdfs. I use adobe acrobat to mine and choose the smallest file size option when saving.

Hope this helps,

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Treasure Island Large.pdf (3.00 MB, 1000 views)
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes Treasure Island works, so the problem is with the conversion software, strange since the converted pdfs work fine in other pdf readers. I'll have to look into it when I get more time. Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes Treasure Island works, so the problem is with the conversion software, strange since the converted pdfs work fine in other pdf readers. I'll have to look into it when I get more time. Thanks.
Did you ever get more time to look over the PDF problem?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope I switched to using LRFs ;-)