Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
MichelleB
MichelleB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Adding comments to embed metadata

Is there any way to add comments to the embed metadata function?
MichelleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Provided that the file format you are embedding metadata in supports comments, comments are automatically embedded.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
MichelleB

I use epub. However, when I use the embed metadata tool, the comments don't show up. They only show up when I use "convert books"
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is because whatever you are using to view your epub does not support comments metadata. Open the epub in the calibre viewer and click the view metadata button and you will see the comments.

As for conversion, you have probably enabled the insert metadata as jacket page option, which is different from what the embed metadata tool does.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
MichelleB

I use the embed metadata tool, then open up the book with the Calibre viewer, and the comments still don't show up. I would expect them to show up after the book cover - but I have looked all through the book and not found them. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
I use the embed metadata tool, then open up the book with the Calibre viewer, and the comments still don't show up. I would expect them to show up after the book cover - but I have looked all through the book and not found them. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
The comments are not added to the text of the book, but to the (hidden) metadata. If you want to see them then you need to use the option to view metadata from within the reader app.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
@MichelleB - if you want see the metadata embedded in the 'visible' part of book you need to insert a metadata-jacket. You can do that in Polish - tick the Add metadata as a "book jacket" page box.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
MichelleB

Thanks itimpi and BetterRed. I guess that it just is not set up to work the way "I" want it to work. Thanks for the explanation and the work around.