Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 15 25.42%
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 6 10.17%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 5 8.47%
Kraken by China Mieville 8 13.56%
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany 8 13.56%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley Beaulieu 1 1.69%
Nation by Terry Pratchett 5 8.47%
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson 6 10.17%
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin 2 3.39%
Oath of Swords by David Weber 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yeah, it does not seem to make a lot of difference in how people vote.
It does seem to make a difference to me, although I see no reason for the second poll to be hidden, especially when most of the time it will only contain two choices. Campaigning can be fun. When we start to consider these things for 2013, I'm going to suggest having the first poll always hidden and the second always visible.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It does seem to make a difference to me, although I see no reason for the second poll to be hidden, especially when most of the time it will only contain two choices. Campaigning can be fun. When we start to consider these things for 2013, I'm going to suggest having the first poll always hidden and the second always visible.
Sounds perfect, everyone can have something to complain about each month.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Sounds perfect, everyone can have something to complain about each month.
That's what I'm here for!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The lightning Thief is now available from B&N today only for $2.49.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I like this idea!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The lightning Thief is now available from B&N today only for $2.49.
We bought the box-set for my eldest son, so I'll be reading those. I do not think I will buy the series in e-book format.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
That entirely abrogates the point of an open vote, when you'd rather vote for your second choice which is a contender, instead of your first choice which is an also-ran--especially when you think the front-runner is unreadable. And as you acknowledge, there's no point to a hidden second poll, which means there's no point to an open one, either, except for idle curiosity. When it's either/or, there's no strategy or campaigning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I disagree. I actually think now I like open voting better though I used to think I'd prefer hidden.

The spread is not that different this month than the last few months. Every nomination has gotten votes this month and nine out of ten have gotten multiple votes, even after a frontrunner was obvious.

And it's fun to watch the votes come in and discuss them as they are. And we have a run-off so people will still be able to choose from the top two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yeah, it does not seem to make a lot of difference in how people vote.
Yes to both of these. A couple that seemed dead in the water are now in the battle for the run-off. Information is always a good thing, as is chatter about the books.

Last edited by issybird; 04-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I like this idea!
For 2013, I suggest they all be hidden because we do have different results. We don't really need a run-off vote unless there is a tie. Then the second poll can be open. I also suggest we do away with the second classic as we should not have the same months more then once a year.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For 2013, I suggest they all be hidden because we do have different results.
Surely the pool of voters is far too small and the topics too diverse to state that with any certainty? Your assertion is based on what statistical analysis? And what's your margin of error?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Removed.

Last edited by orlok; 04-25-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Didn't read the rules properly, which answered my query.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm disappointed that The Lightning Thief isn't available on Kindle in Canada. The whole global village concept is a farce.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Surely the pool of voters is far too small and the topics too diverse to state that with any certainty? Your assertion is based on what statistical analysis? And what's your margin of error?
It's based on seeing the results of both hidden and non-hidden votes. There's enough data to suggest that we have a lot closer voting when it's hidden them we do when it's non-hidden.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm disappointed that The Lightning Thief isn't available on Kindle in Canada. The whole global village concept is a farce.
If you know how to strip DRM, buy the ePub from Kobo using one of the many discount codes available, strip the DRM and convert.

Just a suggestion.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I won't do that. Obviously they don't want my money so I won't give it to the publisher in any manner on this one. There are plenty of books out there for me to read. Over 800 books every day are published in the US and another 50 every day in Canada. I'm sure I can find something to read.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I won't do that. Obviously they don't want my money so I won't give it to the publisher in any manner on this one. There are plenty of books out there for me to read. Over 800 books every day are published in the US and another 50 every day in Canada. I'm sure I can find something to read.
I think there's an issue with Amazon Canada more so then any one publisher. But then things like these are why when anyone from Canada is thinking of a Kindle, I recommend an ePub capable reader instead.