Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #661
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Can someone tell me how aura hd deals with fingerprints after a while? I still have protector on the screen, and I'm considering buying one for it. The problem is, the last time I tried that on previous reader the effect was so awfull I took it down immediatelly. This one doesn't bother me for now. I'm also debating buying sleep cover because I vaguely remember reading it could drain battery.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #662
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Fingerprints on the bezel are annoying, on the screen not much, I just gently clean it with a soft cloth once in a while. As for the covers draining battery, it depends on the cover, if the flaps annoy the IR sensors or the magnet for the sleep function is misaligned, I think. (Mine doesn't, it's a cheap one, I think they're being shipped from china, works like a charm)
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #663
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm really only worried about the screen and if the light will be affected. As for the covers, I'll snoop around some more. Do you have a picture of cover perhaps?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #664
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got this one in blue, the pics there are like it is in my hands (well i got it from my local amazon store but it's the same)
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leathe...+aura+hd+cover
see, no flaps there's a thread for aura hd covers btw
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211498
I always thought putting another layer on the screen, even if to protect, would affect the text and make it slightly fuzzy, but, idk for sure as I've never done it, I've read many doing it here though.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #665
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I knew that. But, I lost it while I was testing during the post.

I just a had a look at adding the sort to the config file and hot a little problem with how the data is stored. I can't duplicate the encoding used if there are non-ascii characters in the shelf name.

I'm curious about what you did. From memory, there isn't much in the config file that affects the home screen. The displayed tiles come from the database.
I don't think anything I did directly affected the home screen. I would change some sort by things and when going to a collection it would have [SORT] where it previously had sorted by title or some such. Selecting this I could pick whatever sort I wanted, and it only happened once per change.

And why the tiles would be affected is beyond me. Some were resized, some disappeared, and some that were always in the same place before seemed to move around randomly. The library tile was very weeny once, and shifts position a lot. It used to stay pretty much the same before that.

I know I can just do a factory reset and update the firmware, and I am trying to work up enough interest The balconies are being repaired in my condo so I have a living room full of glass and the delightful sounds of hammering and drilling going on at the moment.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #666
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well,

I have looked at the new Aura, and even had 2 of them at home but had to return them due to the "scratch like" marks in the top 25mm or so of the screen.

I even had the shop go through the remainder of their stock, all the same.

So yesterday I had a good look at the the HD, Glo, and Aura and I've got to say I am almost sold on the HD, the text was so much crisper than the other two with the new Aura looking the worst, (to my eyes).

Decisions decisions, but even though I really like the size and the overall feel of the new Aura I might just go with the HD because, after all, I want it to read with.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #667
danicca
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
I got this one in blue, the pics there are like it is in my hands (well i got it from my local amazon store but it's the same)
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leathe...+aura+hd+cover
see, no flaps there's a thread for aura hd covers btw
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211498
I always thought putting another layer on the screen, even if to protect, would affect the text and make it slightly fuzzy, but, idk for sure as I've never done it, I've read many doing it here though.
Thank you! That thread is treasure trove of information! And there are pictures!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #668
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Can someone tell me how aura hd deals with fingerprints after a while? I still have protector on the screen, and I'm considering buying one for it. The problem is, the last time I tried that on previous reader the effect was so awful I took it down immediately.
I haven't noticed any ill effects from my matte Cover-up screen protector, the Amazon product page for which is here.

The only issue I can find with the Cover-up is that it can be installed incorrectly, so that motes of dust and carpet hairs are trapped visibly for future archeologists to unearth.

But since you're keeping the original plastic on the screen until you find better protection, that shouldn't affect you at all. Just keep the plastic on until the moment you apply the protector.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #669
danicca
Addict

Is there glare with that cover? And how hard was applying, did it leave bubbles? I see it says there is no adhesive, so it doesn't smudge screen if I have to take it off?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #670
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there glare with that cover?
The point of installing a matte screen protector is that glare is minimized, of course. Fortunately the Cover-up is matte, as advertised. If it had been called a clear screen protector, there would definitely have been glare.

Quote:
And how hard was applying, did it leave bubbles? I see it says there is no adhesive, so it doesn't smudge screen if I have to take it off?
I think there might actually be an adhesive layer (though it won't smudge the screen); besides which, the Cover-up is a tad thick, so bubbles tend to be less of an issue than protectors by Zagg (though you still have to smooth the Cover-up with a credit card).

Until the debut of the Aura (non-HD), the main problem with removing a screen protector from any e-ink screen was getting past the picture-frame design to grip the edges of the recessed screen to peel the protector off.

That's still true of the Aura HD, and I can see that being a problem with the Cover-Up. Still, the same would be true of any other screen protector I could have used.

I'll be interested to see whether premium glass protectors ever make it to e-ink readers. They look superb on smartphones and tablets, but the glossy aspect seems terribly wrong for e-ink.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-24-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #671
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The point of installing a matte screen protector is that glare is minimized, of course. Fortunately the Cover-up is matte, as advertised. If it had been called a clear screen protector, there would definitely have been glare.

I think there might actually be an adhesive layer (though it won't smudge the screen); besides which, the Cover-up is a tad thick, so bubbles tend to be less of an issue than protectors by Zagg (though you still have to smooth the Cover-up with a credit card).

Until the debut of the Aura (non-HD), the main problem with removing a screen protector from any e-ink screen was getting past the picture-frame design to grip the edges of the recessed screen to peel the protector off.

That's still true of the Aura HD, and I can see that being a problem with the Cover-Up. Still, the same would be true of any other screen protector I could have used.

I'll be interested to see whether premium glass protectors ever make it to e-ink readers. They look superb on smartphones and tablets, but the glossy aspect seems terribly wrong for e-ink.
I tend to agree. My former roommate just gave me a Nokia Lumia 920 (God knows why as I don't do cell phones) but it is just too damn shiny.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #672
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
With news of B&N's latest ereader, I'm still considering the Aura HD as my first E Ink device. B&N's new reader is still Android, but still Android 2.1, and with no SD slot, which has implications for ease of hacking as well as storage. Regal Wave tech is a plus (which I don't think is a possibility for the Aura HD, correct?), but I think the Aura HD's size would be a better fit for me. It's seeming more and more like I might as well learn to lean on Calibre to make any reader other than a tablet useful for content outside the built-in storefront.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #673
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Personally, I don't feel the need for a screen protector. I don't have any reflects when I read, and the firgermarks are very low, and on the edges. I am more looking for a hard case for protecting the screen from shocks than from fatty fingertips
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #674
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclauzel View Post
Personally, I don't feel the need for a screen protector. I don't have any reflects when I read, and the firgermarks are very low, and on the edges. I am more looking for a hard case for protecting the screen from shocks than from fatty fingertips
The thing I don't like about an unprotected screen is the possibility of accumulating scratches.

The stock screen is matte anyway, so you shouldn't have any problem with reflections either way. Danicca was trying to be sure not to add reflective issues with a screen protector, hence our conversation about choosing matte versus "clear."
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #675
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've had my Kobo Aura HD for just over a week now and I love it. The first two I got had bright pinpricks almost slap bang in the middle of the screen, but the third one is perfect. Before this I had a Kindle 4 Non-Touch (and before that a Kindle Keyboard and a Sony PRS605).

I love the lighting, both for making reading easier in low light situation and reading in the dark. Also the flexibility of setting fonts, font weight and margins.

It took a while to figure out how to get the plugboard to work properly (for books part of a series I like it to add the number of the book when uploading it to the reader). Shelving/collections are also a lot easier than on the Kindle.

My only niggles are that when using the sleep cover the screen switches off after a little while, I can understand that is probably on purpose, to prevent battery drain when it opens when carrying around, but I wish you could switch it off or set the time longer. I sometimes still miss the page turn buttons on the sides of the screen, my ideal reader would have both page turn buttons like the Kindle and a touch screen. Finally, one of the books I read was almost 2mb and had several pictures in it. One or twice a day it would hang on "loading chapter x".

It was hard to decide whether to get an Aura HD or an Aura, but I'm glad I got the HD.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote