Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Kindle DX Jailbreak - before I start....

I was the one that completely messed up the jailbreak on my K3 and broke it so I'm a little hesitant to try this but I think I can do it. I don't want to add any screen savers or anything. I have a Kindle DX that is unregistered and I found the appropriate posts and downloads (5.0 for the reginfo) I'm pretty sure.

It's not so much that I want to register it with Amazon, but it's driving me cRaZy that the time and date is not set on it, and all the books are not set by order. I've tried turning the wireless on & off and starting & restarting and that has no effect on it. The most recent book is always the last.

I don't know USBnetworking or Putty or whatever else that was I read about how to set the time and date on it. I figured this was possibly the best way to go about it. Anyway - that's the back story - here's my question >

When I downloaded the BIN files - they originally looked like a .txt type file thing. I went back into WinRar and enabled BIN and then they looked like a CD type thing. Does it make any difference? Should they look like the .txt type file or the CD? I know it's a stupid question but I don't want to mess up this Jailbreak again. Thanks - LB
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm assuming you meant the icon Windows assigns to the file type/mimetype/content.

They shouldn't look like anything. That said, don't trust Windows on this, and don't try to read/open them.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Yes, file type. They either look square or round
Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

OK I turned off the ISO file association and installed the jailbreak and success! Then I installed the REGINFO but instead found the latest was 0.07 instead of the 0.05. I tried that and it worked - but - I was unable to update the time or connect. I unistalled and tried the 0.05 just to see but that gave me the same results. Is it possible that I am just not close enough to a Tower or something? Of course my Wireless is locked so I could temporarily disable that so that it wouldn't require a password if that would help, since the DX is not like my K3 where you can put in your Wireless password.

Well that didn't work either. I see the bars at the top but they are not greyed out or anything.

Any suggestions? All I want to do is connect ONE TIME to update my time and date. I have other Kindles that are registered - this one does not need to be registered to download anything.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 09-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@allowingtoo: There's no 'Set device time manually' option in the Settings page for the DX, so just faking a registration to have access to it obviously doesn't help, because it doesn't exist .

You'd need a real, proper registration to Amazon to get an ntp sync.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

oh. Well, I found alt 311 and alt 411 and it does manage to connect to a Network for about 20 seconds or so and then disconnects.

The 411 says my certificate is missing.

I thought some people had success with this method.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
oh. Well, I found alt 311 and alt 411 and it does manage to connect to a Network for about 20 seconds or so and then disconnects.

The 411 says my certificate is missing.

I thought some people had success with this method.
Register the device, then you will be sent your certificate OTA.

If the manual "Register by serial number" feature is gone from your Manage Your Kindle page, contact customer service, they will manually register it for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Would my DX be a better candidate for updating to K3 software? I have a K3 that is good but that I can't use because the on/off switch is broken. I keep thinking I'll buy a broken K3 from eBay and replace it but I've never gotten to it. I only brought out the DX while I'm waiting for the Paperwhite to be delivered for my DH to read while he's on the exercise machine and he likes this better than the K3 I took away from him because it has "more words per page" as he puts it.

I've been trying to get Telnet/SSH working....
Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The "power switch" is one tiny grasshopper leg spring attached to a bit of plastic.

You been inside to see if it just "popped of" its moorings?
I would just rip it out and "poke" the button some other way, over not using it.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

No, I dropped it when I was trying to switch covers from black to white. It went into a black hole never to be seen again.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right. but the 3's just clip apart unless you have an ex-demo one.

worth a look

EDIT: Not the best picture ever but yeah... you can see the leg spring and how the plastic bit just trips a momentary switch.

Tiny switch on left is grey with black button... plastic bit merely collides with it to trigger.
Caveman style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_696.png
Views:	162
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	112369  

Last edited by twobob; 09-29-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

From that other thread...

"add an empty file to kindle's root with the name ENABLE_DIAGS
restart kindle and you will enter diagnostic mode, where you can modify your kindle's SN"

so I could use my other K3 serial for my DX?

Whoops, I was only on page 16. Still reading....

Last edited by allowingtoo; 09-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
twobob

I'm sorry. not gonna help with faking SN's.