Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Adding Files To Calibre Folder

I would like to add a small text file(Notepad++) to each author folder in my Calibre library, would this be ok to do and not corrupt my library...
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLaFunk View Post
I would like to add a small text file(Notepad++) to each author folder in my Calibre library, would this be ok to do and not corrupt my library...
there is corrupt and there is corrupt

Technically, Calibre will complain when you run the Check Library function and it finds files that are not under its control

I think, I see why you want this.
Unfortunately Custom columns are not available for any table other than the Books table (deep inside Metadata.db)

I can see a usefulness for a right-click, context Pop-Out (I made the name up, if someone knows the correct name. I will edit this) Information on a selected field value:

Author - Bio, Pseudonyms
Series -Synopsis, Character Bio's, Related series
Publishers - Other Imprints, Locations
The data is attached to the proper internal table and record, not just always to the Book (title)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

theducks: Cheers for the reply

The reason for the text file is that I back up my Calibre library (PC) to my NAS drive scheduled every day for changes, if I want to download a book from my NAS drive to my iPad (iBooks), I do it with an app on my iPad called "Filebrowser" I have been doing this for the last few months and this works well but as I browse my backed-up Calibre Library, I just see the name of the books in their folders and don't know which one is first in the series, so I thought if I add the small text file into the author folder with info about that author, series, novels with year publication etc, I can easily pick what book to download correctly for the start of a series, I did not know if doing this action would result in corrupting my calibre library, I am not wanting it to use with Calibre on my PC just for use with my NAS & iPad, hope this makes sense...
Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
theducks: Cheers for the reply

The reason for the text file is that I back up my Calibre library (PC) to my NAS drive scheduled every day for changes, if I want to download a book from my NAS drive to my iPad (iBooks), I do it with an app on my iPad called "Filebrowser" I have been doing this for the last few months and this works well but as I browse my backed-up Calibre Library, I just see the name of the books in their folders and don't know which one is first in the series, so I thought if I add the small text file into the author folder with info about that author, series, novels with year publication etc, I can easily pick what book to download correctly for the start of a series, I did not know if doing this action would result in corrupting my calibre library, I am not wanting it to use with Calibre on my PC just for use with my NAS & iPad, hope this makes sense...
As I said. The check will complain, but as long as you change nothing else, you should be fine.

Why not run the Content server and browse the full metadata?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
As I said. The check will complain, but as long as you change nothing else, you should be fine.

Why not run the Content server and browse the full metadata?
Does this not mean I would have to have my PC (netbook) where my Calibre library is stored, running, I just want to use the text files for my Calibre library back-up on my NAS when my netbook is turned off with my iPad...

I tried to access my content server on my iPad but it would not work...
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Does this not mean I would have to have my PC (netbook) where my Calibre library is stored, running, I just want to use the text files for my Calibre library back-up on my NAS when my netbook is turned off with my iPad...

I tried to access my content server on my iPad but it would not work...
The content server does need to be running on a compatible server device (there are instructions for headless Linux servers).

The content server is accessible from a standard browser (note Android devices are not compatible with a password set in the CCS).
You do need to be on the same network (subnet) unless you set up your router to port forward. You also need to open the selected port on the firewall of the 'server'
If a K4NT can do it, I think an iPad could
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The content server does need to be running on a compatible server device (there are instructions for headless Linux servers).

The content server is accessible from a standard browser (note Android devices are not compatible with a password set in the CCS).
You do need to be on the same network (subnet) unless you set up your router to port forward. You also need to open the selected port on the firewall of the 'server'
If a K4NT can do it, I think an iPad could
Cheers, will look into it, if anyone with an iPad has done this, please add info to the thread...
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have no trouble accessing the Calibre Content server from an iPad or iPhone.

You might want to consider getting the free iOS app "eBook Search" which allows you to use the OPDS catalog from Calibre, and handles transfering the book after download into your eReader app of chocie.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have no trouble accessing the Calibre Content server from an iPad or iPhone.

You might want to consider getting the free iOS app "eBook Search" which allows you to use the OPDS catalog from Calibre, and handles transfering the book after download into your eReader app of chocie.
Have downloaded "eBook Search", no problem picking up my Calibre Library on my netbook but I can't get it to find my Calibre Library on my NAS...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have downloaded "eBook Search", no problem picking up my Calibre Library on my netbook but I can't get it to find my Calibre Library on my NAS...
Can you find it in a browser? If you cannot then there is a more fundamental issue - probably at the network level somewhere.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Can you find it in a browser? If you cannot then there is a more fundamental issue - probably at the network level somewhere.
When in eBook Search, I am trying to put the path of my NAS Calibre Library into Catalog URL but no joy, what do you put in the Title & Subtitle boxes, I have no problem accessing the NAS Calibre path with the iPad app "filebrowser", thought it would just be the same for eBook...
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

The title and subtitle can be anything you want - they are just the names for that entry in the eBook search UI.

The URL should be the one needed to access an OPDS catalog as specified in the Calibre manual (I.e. not the one for the HTML Catalog).
Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
The title and subtitle can be anything you want - they are just the names for that entry in the eBook search UI.

The URL should be the one needed to access an OPDS catalog as specified in the Calibre manual (I.e. not the one for the HTML Catalog).
Cheers itimpi, Should I wait for the new one before setting this up "The calibre2opds 3.0 release is getting very close now"
Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Cheers itimpi, Should I wait for the new one before setting this up "The calibre2opds 3.0 release is getting very close now"
The calibre2opds 3.0 release will not change the URL needed to access the catalog. It just gives you more features you can use when generating the calibre2opds catalog.