Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #106
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
To ptsenter -

You are correct - you weren't clear enough.

I will still bump the thread I mentioned in case the links are useful to some readers.
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #107
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
hi stevesr0 - when you said "make a phone call with google talk" - I assumed you meant google voice.

but if I read that wrong (if so, sorry) and you did mean gtalk: gtalk/gchat on android doesn't support the calling feature afaik. the only things I've seen that can do that are gmail's web interface (and it requires a platform-specific plugin), and pidgin client for linux (which can receive calls but not make them; pidgin for windows can't even do that just yet.) and probably a couple other desktop xmpp clients (e.g. various pidgin branches/forks)
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #108
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmithfl View Post
Just a quick note of sincere thanks! Just recently got 2 woot special PE's. Kept one at original 1.6 Dingo, but am messing around with the other one. I tried your Allmine latest update and it was _so_smooth_ ! Everything worked just as described and I had not problems other than anxiety... It's late for me now and got an early rise tomorrow, but did want to say thanks to all of you that paved the path before I got here. In the famous words of some old movie star - I'll be back. (to see what's up and let you know if things are still working fine)
As bad as I want to I'm afraid that I'm not confident enough of my abilities to try the Allmine updates. I wish I knew someone who was local who would do it for me. I so want access to the Market. I think it would solve most of the issues that I have with the PE.
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #109
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
I so want access to the Market.
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/

gives you a full unadulterated access to the Market without any restrictions based on abilities of your phone or whatever.

Better yet:
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

Quote:
I think it would solve most of the issues that I have with the PE.
No, it won't. Well, depending on your definition of issues.

Last edited by ptsenter; 10-13-2011 at 04:42 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #110
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

I am an old perennial nooby I am afraid, Tarvoke. I have chat and talk with voice and video on my Linux computer, so I assumed that talk was a telephone service available on android as well. Looking around, I see that it is available on some 2.3.3 devices only.

One of the old posts (in the archive did mention using google voice to make calls; it sounded very complex involving a pbx program (this was posted by cheyennedonna).

Others have mentioned Nettalk (mokkel 22 back in July of this year), and fring.

Sorry for confusion.

I would be happy with any working phone program. I wondered if the Allmine fix would facilitate/support telephone function. But I don't know that there is any reason it would impact on that.

Thanks for reply.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #111
stevesr0
Connoisseur

Final qustion -

I downloaded google voice onto an android emulator and was going to sideload the apk onto the PE from there, but I don't see a recognizable googlevoice apk file!

I don't think I want to move it now after these conversations, but I am curious why the Market install didn't produce a googlevoice.apk file on the emulator.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #112
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
dumb question: did you look in /data/app rather than /system/app? I'm pretty sure gvoice installs as a user application. also I had to update gvoice to latest version before the setup wizard would finish without crashing (but if you have the latest from market in your emulator, should be fine...)

(and yes the way to get it all working is annoying and a little roundabout and on top of it still requires having an actual north america number tied to a SIP account - which previously could be done for free, but now is also irritating...)

also, the more I hang out here, the more I find out I'm the noob! ha. everyone suspected that eventually google will integrate voice, chat and gmail more and more into one, but I had no idea the gtalk for android was starting to support it - trying it out now on my other phone that has 2.3.5 on it, although no luck so far.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #113
jfgirl
jfgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
Glad to hear it!

One thing, though! Once you get it set up on your PE, you can access it via the web without issue

Thanks! I will try it again and let you know the outcome.
jfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #114
aluraread
aluraread began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre
Voice calling on PE

Steversr0, I'd personally hoped google voice would work after allmine since I use it for my house pghone on my netbook, tried the latest skype via the link to orkitra that ptsenter posted *THANX for that* doesn;t work.However nettalk 3.2.1 DOES work if you can handle the 30 min per call restriction it's a workable solution
aluraread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #115
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesr0 View Post
I am an old perennial nooby I am afraid, Tarvoke. I have chat and talk with voice and video on my Linux computer, so I assumed that talk was a telephone service available on android as well. Looking around, I see that it is available on some 2.3.3 devices only.

One of the old posts (in the archive did mention using google voice to make calls; it sounded very complex involving a pbx program (this was posted by cheyennedonna).

Others have mentioned Nettalk (mokkel 22 back in July of this year), and fring.

Sorry for confusion.

I would be happy with any working phone program. I wondered if the Allmine fix would facilitate/support telephone function. But I don't know that there is any reason it would impact on that.

Thanks for reply.
Unfortunately Allmine won't help you with telephony support on your PE.

Google Voice, when used to make calls on an android phone, actually works via making a regular phone call to google, and then google calls your target for you. It just doesn't look like a phone call in the UI. If you try using google voice to make a phone call on a device without a cellular radio (tablets, PE), it just won't work at all.

So what we need here is VOIP (Voice over IP, i.e. calling via data connection). And you are right that it requires a newer version of android.

Right now, I'm working on getting a kernel to compile for my PE. Once I can confirm that, I will try to make patches of entourage's additions to the kernel so they can be applied to newer kernel source.

Once my serial cable components arrive and I can dive into u-boot I'm going to start hacking on porting ClockworkMod recovery over. That will make ROM development so much easier.

Eventually, I hope to put out a bona fide ROM for the PE.

Until then, Allmine is just a collection of half-assed hacks.

Stay tuned!
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #116
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Your the man..If there is anything I can help with let me know...I can google and beta test or do whatever..I learn on the fly fast
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #117
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
New bug? Documents-To-Go isn't working. Gives me an "unsupported device - passion" error message when I try to open or create a new document. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling through market. It doesn't think I have the full version anymore. Ideas?
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #118
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
yes, use picsel office. much better
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #119
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
New bug? Documents-To-Go isn't working. Gives me an "unsupported device - passion" error message when I try to open or create a new document. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling through market. It doesn't think I have the full version anymore. Ideas?
Hm, looks like DTG cares about different setting in build.properties.

Changed this:
ro.product.name=passion
to this:
ro.product.name=edgejr

using busybox vi and restarted - DTG agree to create new documents now. Market still seem to work. No further testing done
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #120
birdheh
birdheh began at the beginning.

Device: pocket entourage
I have begun to use GrooveIp to use my google voice phone on my PE. It has a bit of an echo, but it does add telephony to my Edge
birdheh is offline   Reply With Quote