Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
vitalichka
Enthusiast
vitalichka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
After aborting, are books still added to library?

Hi, does anyone know if during the adding stages of books to the Calibre library, if we click abort, will the so far indexed books be added into the library or does one need to go through the entire process in one sitting. My collection has grown quite large over the decade and it will take upwards of 50 hours to index/copy etc and so I can't have my laptop running that long because I am using an external HD which requires external power and I need to use my laptop in several locations.

Thanks
vitalichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalichka View Post
Hi, does anyone know if during the adding stages of books to the Calibre library, if we click abort, will the so far indexed books be added into the library or does one need to go through the entire process in one sitting. My collection has grown quite large over the decade and it will take upwards of 50 hours to index/copy etc and so I can't have my laptop running that long because I am using an external HD which requires external power and I need to use my laptop in several locations.

Thanks
I believe your best bet would be to NOT add large book collections at once. Do them in batches - just put a bunch of directories of books under a subfolder then import that into Calibre rather than your topmost directory.

In terms of Abort, it will keep in Calibre any entries it has created so far. However you could be creating problems for yourself by trying to work out "where it got up to" to try to continue from there.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Sounds good thanks.
However let me clarify something and see if this makes any difference or how to go about this.

My structure is similar to this:
G:\eBooks\folder\folder\folder\etc

so each folder may have files and more folders and each of those folder may have more folders and files, what makes this difficult is that Calibre wants you to add them as separate titles since they can certainly be separate since some of the folders are based on authors and their separate works.

Basically what happens is that when I attempt doing this in batches, and select G:\eBooks\Folder\... there is usually another folder behind it and so Calibre goes to that folder until it finds the last one in that directory.

I hope this has been clear, thanks for your input and I look forward to your response.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sorry I'm confused as to what the problem is?

If you point Calibre at G:\Ebooks, then yeah it will try to import everything. If G:\Ebooks contains 20 folders each of which contains many subfolders, then you could point it to each of those 20 folders as a "batch". You can add new top folders or work at a lower level if that is too many for your "batch".

If you mean that some subfolders need to be imported as "one book per folder" (like an html version of the book with multiple pages), and others contain "many books per folder" then I believe you do have a problem. What I do is move the "one book per folder" books out into their own subtree that I can import using the different Calibre menu option. I automate this with a tool that walks the folders looking for this scenario.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Thanks for all of your help and explanations. What I have found is that because my collection is so large I am having the problems you mention in your last post. I am going to need to go with less of the batch approach.

Thanks again
Advert