Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
computer books/ebook readers

I notice on the Kobo site there many computer books ... Do these books have photos, graphics and tables ...

How does the Kobo reader handle them , and other ebook readers
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Kobo native format handles them by ignoring them. No illustrations, photos, graphics, tables, illustrations. Except for the captions. Normally they will be shown.

To get illustrations etc you need to install Adobe's ADE, and download the books in that format, then transfer them to the Kobo i epub format. Calibre is handy for this. Obviously all illustrations will be in black and white only, and often sized so they are illegible.

Until Kobo implements some sort of 'go to' function I consider reference books to be virtually useless on the Kobo.

I have yet to try out the Kindle for reference books, but at least it has resizing of illustrations, and a 'go to' function.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo WiFi has illustrations in native format. I am not sure if the update that JC has said is in closed beta for the original will have that capacity, too.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote