Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Questions about Mentor lite firmware

There is so little information out there about the Mentor lite -- I wondered if someone who is familiar with it could answer some questions about the firmware:
  • Does it support any font choices? Oh, and if it doesn't support choices, what font does it use as its default?
  • In landscape mode, what is the orientation? Is the d-ring at the bottom left corner?
  • Can it run fbreader?
  • I read somewhere that epub renders in light gray rather than the darkest gray. Is this true?
  • Can you jump to pages? If so, how do you enter page numbers?
  • Can you customize the key mapping (especially the keys on the sides)?

Thanks!

Last edited by maxbookworm; 06-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Mentor Lite info

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
There is so little information out there about the Mentor lite -- I wondered if someone who is familiar with it could answer some questions about the firmware:
  • Does it support any font choices? Oh, and if it doesn't support choices, what font does it use as its default?
  • In landscape mode, what is the orientation? Is the d-ring at the bottom left corner?
  • Can it run fbreader?
  • I read somewhere that epub renders in light gray rather than the darkest gray. Is this true?
  • Can you jump to pages? If so, how do you enter page numbers?
  • Can you customize the key mapping (especially the keys on the sides)?

Thanks!
Dear MaxBookWorm:

The best place for Mentor Lite info is on my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

It has three font style choices and more can be downloaded on. Yes, you can easily jump pages by using "Go To Page" or by holding the page turn button down for three seconds to jump ten pages. You cannot customize the six buttons but they do almost everything you would want already in one-touch buttons. The Mentor Lite screen is E-Ink and very white. What is a D-Ring? It has 20 formats including FB2.

My blog is a valuable resource that people just do not use. I have 39 members and that is all. I hope you will sign up as a follower.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Robert. I did check out your blog, and saw this post: http://robertbez.blogspot.com/2009/0...version-2.html , but it didn't answer all my specific questions about the firmware.

Good to hear that we can install our own fonts. That is a major plus!

Also good to know there's a 'go to page' function.

I understand the background of the screen is quite light, but what I'd read is that, in rendering epubs, the text is a lighter shade of gray than it could be. Do you know if that's true?

By "D ring", I meant the navigation ring. I think I found the answer to my question on another forum. Sounds like in landscape mode, that ring is in the bottom left corner, right?

What might be great on your blog is more screen shots of the various navigation menus, etc., for the Mentor Lite. That's the kind of detail I'd love to see before purchasing.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Only some amswers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Thanks Robert. I did check out your blog, and saw this post: http://robertbez.blogspot.com/2009/0...version-2.html , but it didn't answer all my specific questions about the firmware.

Good to hear that we can install our own fonts. That is a major plus!

Also good to know there's a 'go to page' function.

I understand the background of the screen is quite light, but what I'd read is that, in rendering epubs, the text is a lighter shade of gray than it could be. Do you know if that's true?

By "D ring", I meant the navigation ring. I think I found the answer to my question on another forum. Sounds like in landscape mode, that ring is in the bottom left corner, right?

What might be great on your blog is more screen shots of the various navigation menus, etc., for the Mentor Lite. That's the kind of detail I'd love to see before purchasing.

Thanks!
I am starting to add pictures to my blog. I will try to add more herein. I do not have all the shots I would like!

I only know that what we showed on display at CES was EPUB files and the screen was very light while the text was very dark. The contrast was excellent to all who saw it. You certainly will have no problem in reading on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentor Lite Sudoku.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	53500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentor Lite Right Side Buttons.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	53501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentor Lite Main Control.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	53502  
Attached Images

Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear MaxBookWorm:

It has three font style choices and more can be downloaded on.
Hi Robert,

I have not been able to figure out how to download fonts onto the Mentor. Do you have instructions on your blog or is there somewhere else I can find them? Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I tried and could not find a way to add more fonts, the user manual does not say you can add new fonts. The screen looks great but the built-in Chinese font is ugly - if only I can combine the power of PP and the screen of Mentor!
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote