Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Angry Returning to Kindle until Vox problems fixed

Okay, I've been a Vox lover since the day it came out, but I'm finally so annoyed that I'm going back to reading on my old kindle and just using vox as a cheapo tablet.

The sleep-of-death thing is killing me for one thing. Nothing like having to quickly shut it off when the doc calls me in then finding the battery dead by the time I get home even with wi-fi off! Nevermind the noisy wake up sound causing people to stare since I can't leave it in sleep mode without the battery dying quickly.

Using usb to transfer anything deleting my books causing me to spend 20 minutes to re-import my library and losing my bookmarks is pissing me off.

Customer service telling me that yes, my books will be deleted when I use USB unless they all come from the kobo store and perhaps I should use whatever reader for non-kobo books.

Customer Service suggesting to leave it plugged it to combat the sleep-of-death thing and another customer service agent telling me that leaving it plugged in is killing my battery and is the reason I have to keep resetting. So I guess I'm supposed to keep staring at the charge light 24/7 and not use the things Kobo touts as 'features'.

This is just too much damned work to read a book!

I doubt Vox devs still read here and I apologize to the rest of you for the rant. Perhaps one day they'll fix the problems and I'll give my kindle a break, but for now I'm glad I kept it!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I am beginning to think the issues surrounding the Vox may end up being the downfall of the little Canadian start up. When combined with the plethora of problems that seem to be plaguing the online customer support, along with the recent sale of the company, I'd be surprised to see them in operation this time next year.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you are unsatisfied with the quality of the product, by all means return it. There is no sense in keeping a product that you won't or can't use.

On the other hand, predicting the downfall of the company may be a bit premature. I have found that forums tend to attract people who are looking for solutions to problems, and that some people are particularly vocal about their problems. I also haven't noticed many of the problems that people are reporting (with either the Touch or the Vox). That can mean any number of things from Kobo having quality control issues to individuals using the device in ways that Kobo didn't properly test for.

For the most part, I am happy with the Vox. There is also a whole thread of people saying that they like their Vox on these forums. Yes, they could have done better. There are many features that they should have included for shipping, and perhaps the inclusion of these features would have avoided situations where people are loading buggy apps to fill those gaps (example: people using Aldiko for library books, and Aldiko definitely has problems on the Vox).

You also have to consider that the Vox offers things that other readers don't. As far as I can tell, Pulse offers the best social reading experience on the market. And that's important to some people. I've also been told that the Kobo store is available in far more countries than Amazon's, which is important if you live outside of the US.

That international bit is important. I used to own a Kindle and can't even count the number of times that they told me that a book is not available in Canada, never mind being told that I couldn't buy the latest Kindles for several months after it's release. (I can only imagine what it's like for people living in other countries.)
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Never say die

I too received my Vox for Christmas and after the Kobo upgrade the sleep thing no longer was an issue. The help I received on this forum corrected all my issues of any real importance. My son-in-law is with Kindle and the Fire too is having these start-up issues. The main problem I see with Kindle is the reliance on Amazon which is great if you are in USA but not so good if you are not. Here the Kobo is better in that most bookstores support Epub and I am yet to have a problem with Kobobooks.com, library books or other sources. I use my Vox as a presentation tool at work downloading MS Works (Office) files into the Vox via the applicable apps. I also make use of the audio function in the Vox using an attached speaker for children's books which works wonderfully well so two can sit and enjoy a children's audio book with sound that can drive you out of the room. I recently took a family album of pictures out to a meeting with friends and showed off our Christmas pictures, grandchildren etc. and all went wonderfully well. Cannot image why one would rant as you did as my Vox, for one, is great. I should point out that the Chapters book store in my city had a staff person trained on the Vox and she corrected the initial sleep problem along with that initial upgrade to software.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
Using usb to transfer anything deleting my books causing me to spend 20 minutes to re-import my library and losing my bookmarks is pissing me off.
Try using dropbox. I haven't used my USB since installing a file manager on the Vox. Since then I put everything on dropbox (books and apps) and then access them through the Vox that way.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Try using dropbox. I haven't used my USB since installing a file manager on the Vox. Since then I put everything on dropbox (books and apps) and then access them through the Vox that way.
I use WiFi File Explorer, as described in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166808
It's even better than Dropbox because it uses the WiFi in my house to make a direct connection.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Never had that problem using USB. Library is stable using USB or microSD card removal and replacement.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, sleep, usb storage, vox