Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I dont know what to buy

hello

First, sorry for my bad english.

I want to buy a e-reader device but after reading a lot, I am a bit dissapointed with the problems with A4 PDF's.

All my collection or the most, are in PDF and A4, soI think I am going to need to reconvert all to other formats. In other side, a lot of them are not novels and are a lot of technical books with graphics, pictures or math symbols.

Knowing that I first think on buy a iLiad but its expensive, so I see the PRS-505 and the Cybook but reading the forums I dont know if this e-readers with their low resolution and small screens will fulfill my expectatives or is best to go with the iLiad. Normally I think that the price is not a problem if is a good item that i will use a lot like this, but we know that we are early adopters of this technology and all the machines that are selling now, will be soon replaced by other ones with more resolution and best displays, with similar prices so...

Like I said before I dont know what will be the best device for me and I have fear of make a bad decission.

Any idea it will be great.

thanks!

Last edited by whopper; 03-14-2008 at 02:05 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Short answer is "don't get a 6" eInk reader (Sony or Cybook) for reference PDFs".

Your choice is basically between a iLiad and a PC-based solution (i.e. laptop, sub-notebook or tablet?).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or you could wait for the new breed of 9.7" eink based readers that will have even more resolution then the iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The 9.7" devices we know about are discussed in Hanlin V9 Early Review & Photos and Netronix/PVI 9.7-inch e-reader spotted. There may be others, because they are based on standard E-Ink displays. Late summer seems the most likely release date.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Netronix are saying June for theirs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Netronix are saying June for theirs.
Jinke is saying "delayed until at least June". But Netronix is estimating a later delivery, see this post by Lisa of Netronix:
Quote:
E-paper Panel with WinCE platform which could support WiFi, Touchscreen & Bluetooth & SD3G will be coming soon probably by end June for 6" and end of Sept. for 9.7".
The delay appears to be in obtaining the screens in volume, so it could be June/July if PVI gets its act together.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote