Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of Dan Brown's books
Five stars - the best of their kind 6 6.74%
Four Stars - good but not good enough to be five stars 19 21.35%
Three Stars - Average 26 29.21%
Two stars - Below average 11 12.36%
One star - Not good 5 5.62%
Zero - To line the bottom of a bird's cage with them wood be an insult to the bird 11 12.36%
The Blue one next to the Fish 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
This so much.
I did enjoy Angels and Demons - especially the little picture things where you could turn them all sorts of ways and they'd be the same in various directions.

I did make the mistake of reading The DaVinci Code right after it and they are basically the same book. (I don't mind some formulas, but I don't usually find it that obvious.)

I didn't vote because I've only read those two. I enjoyed the first one and could barely finish the second. (Massive amounts of skimming is the only reason I finished it.
Do you think if you read them in the other order, you'd have liked "DaVinci" and skimmed "Angels" or do you think that despite the similarities, "Angels" was better for other reasons?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A very inconsistent author, to my mind. I thought "Da Vinci Code" was great, "Angels and Demons" poorer, and "The Lost Symbol" poor. But his latest, "Inferno", I thoroughly enjoyed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Do you think if you read them in the other order, you'd have liked "DaVinci" and skimmed "Angels" or do you think that despite the similarities, "Angels" was better for other reasons?
I read DaVinci Code first and liked it. Then I read Angels & Demons and liked it better. I can't remember specifically why. I think it was because I liked the plot & unraveling of the mystery better. I do remember thinking they were similar.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It's a mixed bag. I quite enjoyed "Angels & Demons" and "Deception point", but "Digital fortress" was utterly disappointing. I'm reading now Inferno, and I think it's neither here nor there, it's good, but he's done better.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think it was the combination of reading them in order ("Angels" followed by "DaVinci") as well as reading them back to back.

This was also back in 2006 when the movie was coming out so there was a lot of hype about it. There really isn't any way it could have lived up to the reputation it had at that time.

-----
Edit: Just realized I misread the question a little bit.

I'm not sure. As mentioned above, I read them in 2006 so it's hard to say and I don't have a desire to reread either of them.
I do think I still would have prefered "Angels" because I didn't skim. They are basically the same book, but I think "Angels" was a bit more concise (better editing??) and "DaVinci" was a bit more long winded.

Last edited by peachiekene; 01-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 AM   #21
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
Once you read one Dan Brown's book, reading the others is just a waste of time. Too repetitive, too predictable.
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
Once you read one Dan Brown's book, reading the others is just a waste of time. Too repetitive, too predictable.
Have you read "Inferno"? It took me completely by surprise. Definitely not at all predictable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I haven't read any of his work, so I've abused my moderatorial abilities to add an option to your poll so that I could vote.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I haven't read any of his work, so I've abused my moderatorial abilities to add an option to your poll so that I could vote.
And as one who has also never read any of his work, I appreciate said option!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I didn't vote has I find the quality up and down, Angels and Demons at the top and the Digital Fortress at the bottom. Inferno did surprise me, better than I expected
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read "Inferno"? It took me completely by surprise. Definitely not at all predictable.
No, I gave up on the third or fourth book; don't remember the exact sequence. Never had any desire to come back.
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #27
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I read all he had in print when Da Vinci came out in a single burst of reading... I enjoyed them by not taking them too seriously but I did find myself skipping pages at times. The only one I was very disappointed in was the Digital Fortress.

I haven't read any of his books since then which, I think, means that I've not read The Lost Symbol and Inferno. No real rush to do so which I guess says it all in terms of my rating of his writing.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thanks for the option!

Now I, too, can vote.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree, the ending also took me by surprise.

Spoiler:

It was good that it was not yet another "and the hero saves the day" ending, in this case the villain manages to accomplish his goal.

That said, once it was known that the virus was free, the fact that it was a sterility virus was obvious.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #30
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Thanks +1. Saw the Da Vinci Code film, though, and have to say it bored me to tears. I guess reading Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum ruined the secret society/ancient conspiracy genre for me long ago.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote