View Poll Results: Nook vs Kindle 3
Nook 121 52.84%
Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #91
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I am very happy with the e-ink screen of my Kindle 3. I am not sure you get the same result with the screen of Nook Color. It is only an LCD screen. I am reading books with my Kindle for long hours. I guess you cannot do it with Nook Color.

The Nook Color LCD screen is far superior to the Kindle 3 in my opinion. The text is sharper and clearer. While reading indoors at night I set the brightness as low as it will go and I use the Sepia settings. At this setting the Nook Color looks more like paper than the Kindle 3. The Kindle 3 is hard to read at night in dim light.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #92
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
The Nook Color LCD screen is far superior to the Kindle 3 in my opinion. The text is sharper and clearer. While reading indoors at night I set the brightness as low as it will go and I use the Sepia settings. At this setting the Nook Color looks more like paper than the Kindle 3. The Kindle 3 is hard to read at night in dim light.
Apple vs Oranges

Kindle is an eink reader. Nook Color has an LCD screen. Kindle is a dedicated ereader. Nook Color is a tablet which, out of stock, has no access to Android Market.

Now, I do not know what you mean with sharper and clearer, but letters on a eink device are way more sharper because is true black, not a generated black color (combining several colors at the same time) typical on LCD screens. Even at angle, LCD screens contrast varies because the way the technology works.

I am happy that you like your device, but Kindle and NC are different and you certainly can use the Kindle at bright sun; doing the same with the Nook Color ends with lot of reflection.

With proper light, like the one people use for a book, a Kindle can be used indoors too. People complain that they are not able to read a Kindle with dim light or when is dark but who reads a book with the lights off?

Last edited by jocampo; 05-01-2011 at 03:30 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #93
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Just because this is the Nook forum, it does not exclude anyone of the MobileRead forum from coming and voting on any poll. The Nook is a great device, as you will find out for yourself.
You are right, anyone can vote, but people tend to visit their "own" forums much more so I respectfully disagree with your statement. Unless you owned or had several devices, the poll's result usually goes in favor of the forum's device.

I've found that in more neutral forums, like those who are not for any device in particular, votes are less biased and passionated. Criticism is also less device's centric and more feature oriented.

A poll comparing any device against Kindle, on Kindle's forum, will get lot of favorable votes to Kindle, that's for sure.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-01-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #94
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You are right, anyone can vote, but people tend to visit their "own" forums much more so I respectfully disagree with your statement. Unless you owned or had several devices, the poll's result usually goes in favor of the forum's device.
I'm assuming a lot of people select "Quick Links" and "Today's Posts" like I do. All the most recent posts show up there regardless of forum. I actually don't pay much attention to what forum a particular post is in.

Last edited by carld; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #95
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm assuming a lot of people select "Quick Links" and "Today's Posts" like I dot. All the most recent posts show up there regardless of forum. I actually don't pay much attention to what forum a particular post is in.
I have not seen the 1st X vs Y poll, where X "wins" and the post was made on "Y" forum. If you have seen one here specially for Nook or Kindle, feel free to provide the link.

Besides, I think that it is better to give a full review than trying to make the comparison a battle, like Republicans vs Democrats, or Men vs Female. I do not see the benefit.
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #96
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have not seen the 1st X vs Y poll, where X "wins" and the post was made on "Y" forum. If you have seen one here specially for Nook or Kindle, feel free to provide the link.
No, I was just trying to suggest why there might be such a high number of Kindle responses in a Nook forum, not claiming anything at all.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #97
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Apple vs Oranges

Kindle is an eink reader. Nook Color has an LCD screen. Kindle is a dedicated ereader. Nook Color is a tablet which, out of stock, has no access to Android Market.

Now, I do not know what you mean with sharper and clearer, but letters on a eink device are way more sharper because is true black, not a generated black color (combining several colors at the same time) typical on LCD screens. Even at angle, LCD screens contrast varies because the way the technology works.

I am happy that you like your device, but Kindle and NC are different and you certainly can use the Kindle at bright sun; doing the same with the Nook Color ends with lot of reflection.

With proper light, like the one people use for a book, a Kindle can be used indoors too. People complain that they are not able to read a Kindle with dim light or when is dark but who reads a book with the lights off?

No eink is not true black , it's the darkest shade of Gray. eink contrast ratio is based on multple shades of gray, 16 shades in the Kindle's case.

LCD does provide a true contrast ratio of White to Black, so Yes the letters are sharper and more crisp on an LCD than they are on an eink. Heck even a physical book that is printed on a white page is much sharper than eink.

Now I'm not going to get into the whole lcd vs eink debate. It's what works best for the individual, Neither you nor I can tell anyone which is the best. I for one , happen to like both.

And who reads with the lights off? I do as do other nook color or iPad or Xoom etc owners can and do.

Each tech has their own advantages and disadvantages.

But what is growing tiresome, is saying a device cant be an ereader unless it's eink. Pure and total nonsense and opinionated garbage.

Last edited by boswd; 05-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #98
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
No eink is not true black , it's the darkest shade of Gray. eink contrast ratio is based on multple shades of gray, 16 shades in the Kindle's case.

LCD does provide a true contrast ratio of White to Black, so Yes the letters are sharper and more crisp on an LCD than they are on an eink. Heck even a physical book that is printed on a white page is much sharper than eink.

Now I'm not going to get into the whole lcd vs eink debate. It's what works best for the individual, Neither you nor I can tell anyone which is the best. I for one , happen to like both.

And who reads with the lights off? I do as do other nook color or iPad or Xoom etc owners can and do.

But what is growing tiresome, is saying a device cant be an ereader unless it's eink. Pure and total nonsense and opinionated garbage.
You like polemic and arguing to whatever I said.

LCD display and devices does not provide true black. When you enlarge 100x or 1000x the image, you can see that it is not black really. The angle on an LCD device also affects this, because the same way the device works.

No one reads with the lights off, means (so you can understand) totally dark. Reading at bed is not dark, there is one light at least, and still you can use a lamp or even a Kindle light for that. Yes, you can use the LCD device but the light and lumens are higher, because they are coming from the device itself. Yes, you can change the setting, etc, etc, but still you will get more reflection about this.

There are tons of documents about why eink for non color books or pure text books, the letters are sharper and darker.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #99
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You like polemic and arguing to whatever I said.

LCD display and devices does not provide true black. When you enlarge 100x or 1000x the image, you can see that it is not black really. The angle on an LCD device also affects this, because the same way the device works.

No one reads with the lights off, means (so you can understand) totally dark. Reading at bed is not dark, there is one light at least, and still you can use a lamp or even a Kindle light for that. Yes, you can use the LCD device but the light and lumens are higher, because they are coming from the device itself. Yes, you can change the setting, etc, etc, but still you will get more reflection about this.

There are tons of documents about why eink for non color books or pure text books, the letters are sharper and darker.
just more nonsense. LCDs provide more of true contrast ratio than eink eink only works with shades of gray. LCD's measure contrast from White to black.
So by you claiming that eink is more of a pure contrast ratio of white to black it just not right. dark gray to light gray is not black to white.

reading at night with the lights off causes reflection? I've heard everything.

But again just because you don't like reading on an LCd doesn't mean we all don't.

as I said I like both eink and LCD, each one has their strengths and weakness.

Last edited by boswd; 05-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #100
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
just more nonsense. LCD provide more of true contrast ratio than eink eink only works with shades of gray. LCD's measure contrast from White to black.

reading at night causes reflection? I've heard everything.
Not true!

And I am not going to argue with you about it. eink devices provide a better contrasts and a darker black for pure text books, using the most recent pearl technology.

I am not going to waste my time with you discussing about this.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #101
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:

eink, does not emit light, is the most natural way to read. Nothing is coming from the screen so what you see and read is thanks to the natural reflection of the ambient light against the screen. A few of the benefits:

No parallax
On eink black and white particles move and reside on same layer, so when reading, everything looks and really is on the top of the screen, giving a true reading or paper feeling.

On LCD, the white color is coming from back light while black is coming from the front, the liquid crystal layer in the middle; that creates a shadow which gets worse if you read at angle, decreasing the quality of the reading experience and the legibility of the letters and whole content.

Less Glare
Self explanatory. Because eink screens are treated to be matte like a printed page, there is low or no reflection, so what you see is what you are reading, not the content plus additional light reflection, very common on all LCD screens (more or less noticeable in certain devices, depending of the overall quality of the screen)

No aperture ratio loss
The pixels on LCD screens do not have a full aperture ratio. E Ink screens have a 100% aperture ratio.

So when two black pixels are close on a eink screen, they join to create a true solid black (or white, depending) improving the image quality.

See the attached file. That's an enlarge image of a text being displayed on an LCD device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lcd.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	70846  

Last edited by jocampo; 05-02-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #102
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Not true!

And I am not going to argue with you about it. eink devices provide a better contrasts and a darker black for pure text books, using the most recent pearl technology.

I am not going to waste my time with you discussing about this.
you aren't because you can't . It's not white to black, it's lightest shade of Gray to the darkest shade of gray, pure and simple. That is not a pure contrast ratio.

When color eink comes out that will be different. but I still think it'll take some time to develop high contrast ratio's on even color eink. But to make a claim that eink is better measure of black to white than LCD is just pure false.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #103
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
you aren't because you can't
No, I am not going because is a waste of time. Because you are polarized and fixated with what you believe and think is right. No matter what, you will keep repeating the same, so it is a waste of time and energy.

Besides is not the main topic of this thread ....

Last edited by jocampo; 05-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #104
boswd
Banned

Quote:
eink, does not emit light, is the most natural way to read. Nothing is coming from the screen so what you see and read is thanks to the natural reflection of the ambient light against the screen. A few of the benefits:

No parallax
On eink black and white particles move and reside on same layer, so when reading, everything looks and really is on the top of the screen, giving a true reading or paper feeling.

On LCD, the white color is coming from back light while black is coming from the front, the liquid crystal layer in the middle; that creates a shadow which gets worse if you read at angle, decreasing the quality of the reading experience and the legibility of the letters and whole content.

Less Glare
Self explanatory. Because eink screens are treated to be matte like a printed page, there is low or no reflection, so what you see is what you are reading, not the content plus additional light reflection, very common on all LCD screens (more or less noticeable in certain devices, depending of the overall quality of the screen)

No aperture ratio loss
The pixels on LCD screens do not have a full aperture ratio. E Ink screens have a 100% aperture ratio.

So when two black pixels are close on a eink screen, they join to create a true solid black (or white, depending) improving the image quality.
this has nothing to do on how the technology works and how the image projected back to the eye. It's about white to black . True white to true black.

yes you can post what makes eink advantgeous. I like eink. I love the way it's displayed, I love being able to read it outdoors. and I love the way it's not reflective. No argument here. But it's not true black and it's not true white.

I can have the Pearl eink screen side by side to an iPad, Nook color or Samsung Tab and the difference in looking at the color of the white background of the lCD screen to the black letterings, the LCD is sharper and has a much higher and a TRUE contrast ratio.

You can post all the tech on how eink works all you want but it doesn't change the fact that the kindle, nook, Sony etc uses 16 shades of Gray, not levels of black to white.

Last edited by boswd; 05-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #105
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I prefer reading on e-ink because it looks more like a real book. But in imperfect lighting conditions the contrast is poor because the screen does not reflect nearly as much light as paper. LCD has much better contrast in most indoor lighting conditions. However when in bright light or outdoors LCD's contrast is much worse. It also doesn't feel as natural due to some of the reasons jocampo has detailed. But that doesn't necessarily equate to readability.

If I had to pick just one device, it would be the Nook Color, really no comparison for me because because it is so much more versatile.

Last edited by pl001; 05-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote